ve2yzb

Mar 12, 2011
Quecbec,Canada
VetteCoins
Car
1998 convertable C5
Hey guy's and gals, I about to take my calipers off so I can paint them Red...I baught spray cans at Canadian Tire, the salesman say's this paint is made especially for calipers but if I'm not mistaken, one of you has already suggested using ceramic paint instead...Is that better or to expensive ??
My friend used caliper spray paint and then put a few coats of clear on top and says its been 3 years now and they still look great...
What do you think I should do ???

Hey guy's and gals, I about to take my calipers off so I can paint them Red...I baught spray cans at Canadian Tire, the salesman say's this paint is made especially for calipers but if I'm not mistaken, one of you has already suggested using ceramic paint instead...Is that better or to expensive ??
My friend used caliper spray paint and then put a few coats of clear on top and says its been 3 years now and they still look great...
What do you think I should do ???

CTC sells Duplicolor which is brush on, and there is a product out of the US called G2, a little expensive but great results. I have used both and it's very hard to tell them a part for wear and tear. Either choice wil really enhance the car's appearance. Stay away from those cheesy covers, that's only my opinion.

:agree:

I have done quite a few over the years with the brush on ceramic paint , and they last . Trick is in the prep , make sure you clean all the brake dust off , I usually use a wire brush and brake clean . Nice part is that is you get a chip , its an easy touch-up.

Not a big fan of the covers myself, but hey to each his own :D

Yup ! sure thing once I get my new wheels on and a few other mods....I intend to Show you the before and after pic's....It will still be awhile before I take her out cause of the weather...I'm going to Hawaii around Easter and hope I will be able to take her out before leaving...:D

I painted mine a couple of years ago. They still look new.
I can't stress enough on how important the prep work is.
I took mine off the car, ground down all the rough areas on the castings, took extra care cleaning every nook & cranny. Put a couple of coats of high heat primer, Three coats of Color match (Magred II) paint then a few coats of clear-coat.
Don't rush this job, take your time and you will be very happy with the results.:canada:

P1030975.jpg

This picture is with my old wheels
P1030994.jpg

Last edited:
Mark - did you paint the letters too or hand paint around them ?

Duff

Hey Duff, the trick here is to put a light coat of lypsyl on the letters prior to painting.
After the paint has dried you just take an exacto knife and shave the paint off. Works great.

I got all the info on how to paint calipers from a great DIY thread on another unmentioned forum. :canada:

Last edited:
Yes, used the chap stick on the CORVETTE lettering and it works...used the CTC Duplicolor paint and after 3 years still good...may need to touch up soonm but is durable if the prep is done--really its just have a clean surface for the paint and use masking tape and take your time..no need to remove the caliper, too much trouble for me. That Dup paint comes in BLUE, I may do mine over again in blue...look like ZR 1 caliper blue.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.