Jun 8, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
'17 Grand Sport Z07
Province
ON
Hi all,

I moved to the Ottawa area a few years ago and have now been out to Calabogie about 10 times now. The course is incredible and all of the events I have taken part in (onemorelap, HPDE and CC) have all been well organized. The drivers have all been very good to be around, given lots of tips and I have yet to be in a situation where I feel someone is taking a risk around me. Overall, a great experience.

What I am looking for though, is advice. Here is a video of my fastest lap so far at Calabogie:

I have a completely stock 2017 Grand Sport 3LT, Z07 and stage 3 aero. I have been tracking with the stock Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires. Since that lap time of 2:28, I can get consistently end up in the 2:29s but just cant seem to get under that.

What should I be doing to work on improving my time? More time with an instructor? Just more laps/experience? (Buy speed hahaha?) Is there a section of the course you can see I am losing lots of time? Not enough time on the brake/throttle all over the track? Too hesitant?

TIA!

Are you doing the shifting or is the car? I watched a few times and didn't see anything too objectionable, but lots of spots where I would be doing things just slightly differently. I'd suggest some in-car instruction, whenever that becomes available again.

Your line seems quite good and you are pretty smooth with steering and throttle. However, you allow revs to fall way down the power band, as low as 3K, and that's an issue. Entry speeds seem a bit low, leaving traction on the table, and then you try to compensate with heavy throttle exiting.
I suggest you don't try to clean up the whole lap, but pick one or two corners and make small, incremental adjustments in braking and throttle. Over a day, work your way around the track that way. Don't forget to unwind the steering while accelerating out of the apex. The nannies are probably helping at this point to stop the back end from trading with the front under heavy throttle.

Hi all,

I moved to the Ottawa area a few years ago and have now been out to Calabogie about 10 times now. The course is incredible and all of the events I have taken part in (onemorelap, HPDE and CC) have all been well organized. The drivers have all been very good to be around, given lots of tips and I have yet to be in a situation where I feel someone is taking a risk around me. Overall, a great experience.

What I am looking for though, is advice. Here is a video of my fastest lap so far at Calabogie:

I have a completely stock 2017 Grand Sport 3LT, Z07 and stage 3 aero. I have been tracking with the stock Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires. Since that lap time of 2:28, I can get consistently end up in the 2:29s but just cant seem to get under that.

What should I be doing to work on improving my time? More time with an instructor? Just more laps/experience? (Buy speed hahaha?) Is there a section of the course you can see I am losing lots of time? Not enough time on the brake/throttle all over the track? Too hesitant?

TIA!

Take a short cut? Less track = less time...just sayin

I should've mentioned that there are lots of great books out there on track driving. I read 'Drive to Win' by Carroll Smith over the winter and picked up some great tidbits that I hadn't thought of. I'm sure there are other similar books out there for every skill level. You could search Youtube as well, just be careful of the source of the video.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.