Zora

Corvettes & Road Trips: Priceless
Regular
Sep 23, 2018
U.S. Pacific Northwest
VetteCoins
Full article at Jalopnik. Here are some pictures. Could be as simple as a lose wire, a blown fuse, or ???

Even the first sentence in the article says building a new car is hard.

Poor GM. It must be frustrating trying to develop a new car in real world situations with everyone watching your every move........... I don't envy them........ I don't recall other manufacturers cars in situations like this? Porsche? BMW? Ferrari?

...well at least they used a GMC tow truck. Surprised no deck truck in town, as the wheel lift is very limited to raising it up so as not to rip off the front spoiler.

they were worried about getting la car back to the inside carport rather than worry about a 100 dollar splitter, they appear to have lots of those

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
flyboy999 said:
Poor GM. It must be frustrating trying to develop a new car in real world situations with everyone watching your every move........... I don't envy them........ I don't recall other manufacturers cars in situations like this? Porsche? BMW? Ferrari?

It happens to all brands, as shown in just these few examples:

About three years ago, two brand new Porsche 991 GT3’s burned to the ground due to motor fires. Pictures were all over the spy mags, on DasAuto and tons of world automedia mags; that cause Porsche to recall all of 792 of them (just released), diagnose and then replace the entire motor on those 782 units that already had been sold to customers, were in transit, were at dealers waiting to be picked up, etc. Caused a many months delay for them to figure out and fix the issue (turned out to be connecting rod bearing clearance).

And then there is this article about a different Porsche prototypes burning to the ground during testing: 2012 Porsche 911 Prototype Burns Down in Germany - GTspirit

Here is just one picture of a Ferrari who suffered a similar fate (picture thanks to MotorAuthority).

F4FB43EF-592B-4A4C-B4BD-6ACF8C5B2286.jpeg

Did you see just yesterday that VW, after their earlier announcement that their brand new generation GOLF, for which they had earlier in writing issued an official reveal date, had to officially come out in writing, and state that the GOLF’s reveal would now be delayed several months for technical difficulties.

Last edited:
As noted above, every brand can have periodic issues, both in testing and even after customer cars are being produced. Even the $1.1 M Ferrari LaFerrari has had recall. We know that the first time a 2020 ME Corvette has its first recall, the negative nancies will come out of the woodwork, so I am going to file this one.

LeftLaneNews said:
Ferrari recalls LaFerrari, other models over fire risk
Mar 18, 2019, 11:54am ETby Justin KingThe campaign affects more than 2,100 vehicles from the 2017-2019 model years.
Ferrari has launched a large recall for several models including the flagship LaFerrari Aperta, GTC4Lusso, 812 Superfast and the 488 GTB, Pista and Spider.
The company says the cars are equipped with a fuel vapor separator that can allow fuel to evaporate, potentially allowing the vehicle to ignite.
The problem has been blamed on a botched plastic weld in the separator, built by a third-party supplier.
The campaign affects more than 2,100 cars from the 2017-2019 model years. All will receive a new fuel vapor separator to address the defect.

33D0784F-B39B-41F5-96DB-FCF29899A6EE.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.