I see that Techron is available on Amazon.ca, for anyone in Canada wanting to try it, however it's more expensive than Sea Foam:

Amazon product ASIN B000CCOL3I
?Apparently I can't post a link to Amazon.ca but if you search "Techron" you'll find it.

Then if you want to weigh in on the debate as to which product is better, here are a few references for you to check out which both seem to indicate they have their individual strengths:

As usual, there's no end to products you can use on your vehicle...

Interesting test with various outcomes depending upon where you want results. Note video was comparing three products to help with deposits in the combustion chamber, valves and fuel bowl, but the original post was talking about leaving a full tank of fuel over the winter in your 1997 to 2019 Corvette. I only recommended Techron to clean up the contacts on the fuel sender because it actually did work for me in this area. I was not concerned about injectors or combustion chamber etc.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
There was, is a thread on here on how many owners that had trouble starting the Spring season driving their vettes with Stabil in it. Some complained it sometimes took till the third fill up of gas till the Sta bil was completely gone and driven out of their cars. My C5 has been ours since 2011. By about 2014 I used only sea foam in all three of our venicles. Our vehicles just love, love sea foam and will continue to stay in that relationship...
Al...

Premium from Canadian tire, some sea foam, a cleaning, battery tender, desiccant packs inside, and covered till April.

Attachments

• IMG_20211114_1322210~3.jpg
    IMG_20211114_1322210~3.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20211113_1339065.jpg
    IMG_20211113_1339065.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
There was, is a thread on here on how many owners that had trouble starting the Spring season driving their vettes with Stabil in it. Some complained it sometimes took till the third fill up of gas till the Sta bil was completely gone and driven out of their cars. My C5 has been ours since 2011. By about 2014 I used only sea foam in all three of our venicles. Our vehicles just love, love sea foam and will continue to stay in that relationship...
Al...
I use Stabil in all my vehicles and garden tractors/lawn mowers and everything else that sits all winter long. To be honest, I have never noticed any performance difference but I am careful not to push any of them too much until I have the opportunity to refill once with 91 octane. It may also be worth mentioning that I use the recommended mix ratio as well. A 946ml jug of stabil will treat over 300 litres of fuel. The only thing I mix at twice the recommended rate is the broadleaf weed killer I spray in my pasture. That being said, I have several containers of seafoam and may give it a try next time around as a fuel stabilizer.

Reactions: Crzynot2
I guess with this title, Chevrolet will be discussing about winter storage for the C8...
'May be due to my accidentally sending about 100 emails, about 200 customer responses and at least 1000 accidental messages to customer care while falling asleep with finger on the send button. I did get one response from GM that indicates to fill the tank and use a fuel stabilizer

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Maximus74
'May be due to my accidentally sending about 100 emails, about 200 customer responses and at least 1000 accidental messages to customer care while falling asleep with finger on the send button. I did get one response from GM that indicates to fill the tank and use a fuel stabilizer
Looks like you got your answer, unless it was a dream.

Looks like you got your answer, unless it was a dream.
I am not sure if this is part of aging but periodically I am not sure if some events were a dream or not. Plus GF reminds me "I told you about that last week" but I don't think she did and I just dreamt she did.

I am looking forward to being completely immersed in an alternate universe.

Reactions: turbozig
I am not sure if this is part of aging but periodically I am not sure if some events were a dream or not. Plus GF reminds me "I told you about that last week" but I don't think she did and I just dreamt she did.

I am looking forward to being completely immersed in an alternate universe.
I'll see you there. :happy:

I know it’s doesn’t say C8, but I recommend checking this article out as current fuel delivery systems are relatively the same.

Well, I already stored my car since the End of October with a full tank of Shell 91 with no fuel stabilizer. Should I take it out one day to burn some fuel? Or leave it till spring and see if the car will start.

Attachments

• IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Crzynot2
Well, I already stored my car since the End of October with a full tank of Shell 91 with no fuel stabilizer. Should I take it out one day to burn some fuel? Or leave it till spring and see if the car will start.
Looks like that is your C8 on the lift, then likely all is OK. I hear that is what Chevrolet is saying, full tank plus fuel stabilizer for C8's. Pretty sure Shell 91 has no ethanol so I'm not sure about the stabilizer part.

The article is referring only to C5, C6 and C7. Here is the last paragraph of the article:
As you may know, starting with the C5 Corvettes and continuing through C7, the Corvettes utilized a “saddle bag” design for the fuel tanks and you can see in the video what a pain it is to remove them. So take Paul’s advice and if you store your Corvette for an extended amount of time, make sure it only has a quarter tank of fuel!

Reactions: QT_C8
You will be fine. Zero ethanol in Shell 91. Premium fuel, although will break down in time, it's not nearly as fast or problematic as fuel with ethanol content. Depending how long you are in storage, I'd be tempted to not be mashing the go pedal too hard until I got her filled with fresh fuel.

Yesterday I went to a local Shell station to fill up my Accord with 91. Then I noticed they had an extra tab to push for octane 93. After getting my credit card thing done and the pump npzzle off I pushed 93 instead of 91. Had to use the freeway to get home, buut didn't notice any increase in pep from the 93. And it was also $1.70 per litre.

I have been storing cars for the winter since 1980 (1979 Trans Am). I have always filled the fuel tank and added Stabil fuel stabilizer. Did the same with my 2021 C8 last week (I will have to see if any new info comes from GM recommending less than a full tank). Just got back to Florida for the first time in 20 months and I was concerned that the fuel in our Miata here would be bad, but it turns out that Stabil is now good for 24 months. Did have some flat spots on the tires though - they seem to be going away with more driving.

I would always put in some fuel stabilizer for insurance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy C
First: It is NOT a closed system. It is a vented system.

Second: moisture from air can condense on cold steel, so keep ur tank full.

Third: you do not need any fuel stabilizer. You did 20 years ago Unless you wanted jellied fuel. Fuel has changed.

Fourth: Unless you use garbage fuel, additives are a gimmick.

I have been storing cars for the winter since 1980 (1979 Trans Am). I have always filled the fuel tank and added Stabil fuel stabilizer. Did the same with my 2021 C8 last week (I will have to see if any new info comes from GM recommending less than a full tank). Just got back to Florida for the first time in 20 months and I was concerned that the fuel in our Miata here would be bad, but it turns out that Stabil is now good for 24 months. Did have some flat spots on the tires though - they seem to be going away with more driving.

I would always put in some fuel stabilizer for insurance.
Don’t let anyone tell you not to use fuel stabilizer, it is important. Even as good as today’s fuels are you can still get varnish etc. on cylinder walls when storing a vehicle long term. I have been using it in my ‘94 Vet for
almost 7 years and it starts up immediately in the spring. Top off the tank with either 91 or 94 octane to prevent condensation. If your not sure talk to your mechanic and I’m sure he’ll tell you the same thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Hey Guys, I worked in a refinery(in the Lab) for 29 years up until 2005(before Ethanol) and we used to do testing on both RUL and SUL under 100llbs pressure and 100degrees C for 24 hrs, called the GUM test to accelerate the aging process and quiet frankly none of them failed(unless they had some other type of fuel or contaminant's in it).

All Gasolines in North America have to be made to ASTM standards with the 3 types(summer,Winter and intermediate) have different RVP`s(Reid vapour pressure) for the climate and temperatures you are living in.
Winter gas has a higher RVP to help with starting ,where as the RVP in summer gas is a lot lower(forget the actual numbers).

I have never used any kind of fuel stabilizer in my cars for winter storage and never experienced any degradation of the fuel by spring time.That`s just me though. It is a good idea (as previously mentioned) to top up your tanks to prevent condensation during the winter months .Gasoline containing Ethanol will absorb moisture(water) to certain degree but that's a topic for another day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.