Nov 9, 2020
Thunder Bay
VetteCoins
Car
C8 2LT, E63AMG
Province
ON
i currently own a 2020 C8, 2LT, Z51 with front lift. I’m considering trading it in for a CT5V Blackwing with manual transmission. Just wondering if anyone here has owned both and your thoughts. I enjoy the C8, but I don’t drive it that much, having put less than 500kms so far this year. (Total mileage around 15000) It’s not that it’s a garage queen I want to protect, but rather I’m taking two other people with me most times.

• Sad
Reactions: 1st Vette
I had a 2021 C8 Z51 with Mag Ride that I traded in for a 2023 CT5BW manual (which I recently traded in for a Z06). I absolutely loved the 5BW and I think it is the perfect 3 season car, and all reasons car. l thought of it as a 4 door C8, and the manual transmission was fantastic. I wish I owned it for longer. It’s a fantastic car. I put almost 15k km’s in less than a year (no winter). You won’t regret that move.

(As a matter of fact, Barry Cullen currently has it for sale:

2023 Cadillac CT5-V BLACKWING Blackwing 6 SPEED, ONE OWNER, MASSAGE - Guelph (https://www.autotrader.ca/go/5-63065376) )

Two small ‘irritants’, the fuel economy is as expected not great but frustrated by a fairly small fuel tank, and it has the worst turning circle of any car I’ve ever owned. The ride and performance more than make up for those shortcomings.

Go for it.

i currently own a 2020 C8, 2LT, Z51 with front lift. I’m considering trading it in for a CT5V Blackwing with manual transmission. Just wondering if anyone here has owned both and your thoughts. I enjoy the C8, but I don’t drive it that much, having put less than 500kms so far this year. (Total mileage around 15000) It’s not that it’s a garage queen I want to protect, but rather I’m taking two other people with me most times.
Going to cost you $40k. Is it worth it?

I had a 2021 C8 Z51 with Mag Ride that I traded in for a 2023 CT5BW manual (which I recently traded in for a Z06). I absolutely loved the 5BW and I think it is the perfect 3 season car, and all reasons car. l thought of it as a 4 door C8, and the manual transmission was fantastic. I wish I owned it for longer. It’s a fantastic car. I put almost 15k km’s in less than a year (no winter). You won’t regret that move.

(As a matter of fact, Barry Cullen currently has it for sale:

2023 Cadillac CT5-V BLACKWING Blackwing 6 SPEED, ONE OWNER, MASSAGE - Guelph (https://www.autotrader.ca/go/5-63065376) )

Two small ‘irritants’, the fuel economy is as expected not great but frustrated by a fairly small fuel tank, and it has the worst turning circle of any car I’ve ever owned. The ride and performance more than make up for those shortcomings.

Go for it.
Thanks! Seriously considering it. Your experience sounds great!

I've owned both. The Blackwing is a fantastic car, the manual is perfection, clutch is a little heavy but I loved it. Performance is awesome and it rides great. It drives beautifully to, like a 4 door Camaro but more road compliant.

I don't need 4 doors so I found myself using my Corvette more then the Blackwing and I eventually traded it on a Z06.

If you aren't using your Corvette much because you haul people around the Blackwing is your answer for a 3 season performance car.

Fuel economy is meh and the car is pretty quiet in the cabin even with the exhaust in track because of all the sound deadening (sounds great outside the car). I ended up driving around with the rear seats folded down all the time to get the exhaust sound into the car. Interior material quality isn't as nice as a 3LT C8 either. These are really the only 3 downsides to the car.

Reactions: GM MUSL
I've owned both. The Blackwing is a fantastic car, the manual is perfection, clutch is a little heavy but I loved it. Performance is awesome and it rides great. It drives beautifully to, like a 4 door Camaro but more road compliant.

I don't need 4 doors so I found myself using my Corvette more then the Blackwing and I eventually traded it on a Z06.

If you aren't using your Corvette much because you haul people around the Blackwing is your answer for a 3 season performance car.

Fuel economy is meh and the car is pretty quiet in the cabin even with the exhaust in track because of all the sound deadening (sounds great outside the car). I ended up driving around with the rear seats folded down all the time to get the exhaust sound into the car. Interior material quality isn't as nice as a 3LT C8 either. These are really the only 3 downsides to the car.
Thank you for letting me know about your experience- very helpful

I am driving a manual 4 BW now while waiting for my z06 and It is fantastic. I can imagine the 5 BW to be even better. It drives just my Camaro SS 1LE but with more refinement and space. Although I don't think both are comparable to the C8 in term of driving experience, they are up there with best sports sedan in the world. They also fly under the radar way more than the C8. You have to be true car person to know what the blackwings are. I would also consider the awd M3 competition if you really want a 4 season sports car given you can stand the look of it.

I am driving a manual 4 BW now while waiting for my z06 and It is fantastic. I can imagine the 5 BW to be even better. It drives just my Camaro SS 1LE but with more refinement and space. Although I don't think both are comparable to the C8 in term of driving experience, they are up there with best sports sedan in the world. They also fly under the radar way more than the C8. You have to be true car person to know what the blackwings are. I would also consider the awd M3 competition if you really want a 4 season sports car given you can stand the look of it.
Thanks for your experience- the only issue with a BMW is we don’t have a dealer in Thunder Bay. We do have Cadillac though

Reactions: DenisC8 and Dgds88t

Under your circumstances, you should definitely go for the grocery-getter over the super car.

Lol- are you saying the Blackwing is a grocery getter? 😂
No, it's a boulevard battleship! lol.
Why did you ever bother buying a 2 seat sports car?
The Blackwing is a lot higher for one thing. It is in no way comparable. If it was, I'd have kept my Camaro. Lots of luggage space and was a 4 seater when needed. The blackwing is a fast grocery getter made for old men who need 4 seats. :p

Don't care too much about what other people think. Find a used one, test drive it to see if you like it and start from there. If you don't like it, make the c8 fit into your lifestyle. Simple as that.

No, it's a boulevard battleship! lol.
Why did you ever bother buying a 2 seat sports car?
The Blackwing is a lot higher for one thing. It is in no way comparable. If it was, I'd have kept my Camaro. Lots of luggage space and was a 4 seater when needed. The blackwing is a fast grocery getter made for old men who need 4 seats. :p
It’s still a very fun car to drive. And I have other vehicles to use for groceries, winter etc. I just find I didn’t use it that much this year. So was considering a change, but given the cost of a Blackwing, and I already have an E63 AMG, I don’t think it will be worth it in the end.

It’s still a very fun car to drive. And I have other vehicles to use for groceries, winter etc. I just find I didn’t use it that much this year. So was considering a change, but given the cost of a Blackwing, and I already have an E63 AMG, I don’t think it will be worth it in the end.
Problem solved. If you have an E63 you definitely don't need the BW. It would be redundant.

Don't care too much about what other people think. Find a used one, test drive it to see if you like it and start from there. If you don't like it, make the c8 fit into your lifestyle. Simple as that.
Yup, agree completely. Just wanted advice and knowledge from folks who have owned both

Problem solved. If you have an E63 you definitely don't need the BW. It would be redundant.
Yeah, agree with both being fast 4 door sedans. The only other issue I didn’t mention is that I have a 2007 Mazdaspeed6 which is a manual, and it’s now rusted such that it’s going to pasture soon. So I want another manual transmission car. Thought 2 birds, one stone with the BW. But more than likely I’m going to get the GR Corolla as a replacement. (Which will cost the same as the price difference between the C8 trade and the BW ).
Only problem in Thunder Bay is that everything is so close, I don’t get a chance to drive for any extended period of time!

I guess you are looking for a 4 seat manual car, right?
I'd rather look at a Camaro or Me-stung for a 4 seat fun car.