Jan 23, 2017
Bobcaygeon
VetteCoins
Car
2023 C8 Corvette
Province
ON
I have been reading about many people complaining about excessive heat in the trunk and watching many others who have added behind the front side of the rear trunk additional heat shield self adhesive material.
If one does in fact stop an excess amount of heat forward into the engine compartment what if any downsides would there be to doing this? The peel and stick asbestos film installs directly on the access panel behind the air filter.
Looks like a very easy install , but, what possible negatives would there be by doing so? Thoughts? If it can cut down on excessive heat ( some say 30 degrees different ) in the trunk then one could actually carry golf clubs in there ... lol
Sample Product: Good for 2000 Degrees
Video Install Sample: YouTube - another one who did review with heat temp gun - stuff works ? watch here
Screenshot 2023-11-09 204833.png

Last edited:
"Excessive heat build up", I guess heat management must have been dealt with during production since with the convertible three panels sit directly on top of the engine. Couple that with people putting clear panels to view it when the hatch is up inches from the heat source.

In the coupe obviously we don't have this however since the engine does enjoy cold air , would deflecting additional heat forward directly where cold air filter is drawn in effect air management. Maybe I'm over thinking it. I find it hard to believe radiant heat into the trunk area was not considered during design. The air filter box is surrounded by exhaust components with heat shields not to mention the underside also has shields to create the perfect air flow management.

I will submit a question to GM on this one. Others have designed clear panels to replace the carpeted one on the forward wall of trunk. Eventuri comes to mind immediately so you can view your advanced air intake. Many aftermarket claim a hp increase of upwards to 30 hp! But I take that with a grain of salt not to mention could it be felt at all during normal driving. The conversation could easily go sideways now. So original question, add insulation to forward wall - it appears all agree not enough of a gain to warrant the effort. .... lol

Ya, the trunk wall gets moderately warm and the floor does also, but not any more than the hood would on a hot summer's day.
We are 15 minutes from the grocery store or the beer store and while we fill the frunk first, there is never a concern when forced to put stuff like beer in the trunk.
The warmest place is likely right over the exhaust. Chocolates there may melt slightly, but I've never experienced any significant heat in the trunk. The beer is always still cool when it gets home.

Reactions: Cannonball Rally
In my experience, most of the heat comes through the floor once the car is parked, and not through the front of the trunk.
That makes sense. No air flow to cool things down. Also explains why my beer / groceries are still cold when we get home. No time to heat soak as we remove stuff right away.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread