Nov 29, 2019
Etobicoke
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8 2LT Z51
Province
ON
Just read an interesting take on the internet that fears the Corona Virus will play havoc with global automotive plants as parts made in China will be unavailable due to work stoppage. Brings up an interesting question. What is Bowling Green Assembly Plant exposure to Chinese made parts that may hit the constraint list? Just asking for a friend who has a car on order.

Just read an interesting take on the internet that fears the Corona Virus will play havoc with global automotive plants as parts made in China will be unavailable due to work stoppage. Brings up an interesting question. What is Bowling Green Assembly Plant exposure to Chinese made parts that may hit the constraint list? Just asking for a friend who has a car on order.

This will ultimately depend on how many parts for the C8 come from China and how many they have already produced. I imagine very little is actually made in China as the Corvette demands higher quality than any of the other vehicles GM builds. No major components come from there.

Reactions: ABC
This will ultimately depend on how many parts for the C8 come from China and how many they have already produced. I imagine very little is actually made in China as the Corvette demands higher quality than any of the other vehicles GM builds. No major components come from there.
I hope your right Eric. Having been in the auto parts sector for years, I am going to say that it may be hard to tell what parts exposure exist. Meaning that there are Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers to all manufacturers and while the parts or assembly modules may come from a domestic Tier 1 supplier, that supplier may have dependency on sub parts that may originate in China. So the exposure may be harder to determine.

All it takes is one integral piece of the C8 and the whole car could be on constraint. They likely can farm out for replacements for 'made in china' parts but that takes time to get another supplier into production. JMO

Agreed, the ability to source new parts is complicated for any automotive manufacturer as their reputation is always on the line for build quality. A new parts vendor is not setup overnight. Again, not trying to be an alarmist here and I share Eric's position that the risk is likely low. It was just something that had not occurred to me that we may see production impacted by a health issue in China. Our world is now very interconnected and trade is very intertwined. Lets just keep positive and our fingers crossed that this does not come up on a month or so.

I hope your right Eric. Having been in the auto parts sector for years, I am going to say that it may be hard to tell what parts exposure exist. Meaning that there are Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers to all manufacturers and while the parts or assembly modules may come from a domestic Tier 1 supplier, that supplier may have dependency on sub parts that may originate in China. So the exposure may be harder to determine.

That is very true. The supplier network is crazy complex.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.