That seems excessive!
Do you have a source?
Like I said... "I spoke to a dealer two days ago (yes... a totally unreliable source)"... So don't take that to the bank Axe. But honestly, from scratch with a pile of aluminum, composite, carbon fibre, engine and tranny pieces and parts, leather, glass, etc., that doesn't seem like a long time to me. Now. If the frame, body, engine, transmission, and all the miscellaneous pieces are already assembled, that's another matter.... Just a matter of gluing it all together...

Like I said... "I spoke to a dealer two days ago (yes... a totally unreliable source)"... So don't take that to the bank Axe. But honestly, from scratch with a pile of aluminum, composite, carbon fibre, engine and tranny pieces and parts, leather, glass, etc., that doesn't seem like a long time to me. Now. If the frame, body, engine, transmission, and all the miscellaneous pieces are already assembled, that's another matter.... Just a matter of gluing it all together...
Factories don’t manufacture cars anymore, they assemble them. Component parts are delivered on a “just in time” basis from second and third tier suppliers. The OEM’s actually produce very little from scratch, with the exception of engines, transmissions, etc. even thise are asembled from supplier parts.

So ten weeks would be for vehicle assembly, not manufacturing from raw materials.

Paint and frames are typically still built in the assembly plant from what I understand. Everything else is just boled on or plugged in.

Considering those facts, ten weeks seems like a pretty long time to me...

:)

Too funny grasshopper ....... :devil:

• Haha
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Factories don’t manufacture cars anymore, they assemble them. Component parts are delivered on a “just in time” basis from second and third tier suppliers. The OEM’s actually produce very little from scratch, with the exception of engines, transmissions, etc. even thise are asembled from supplier parts.

So ten weeks would be for vehicle assembly, not manufacturing from raw materials.

Paint and frames are typically still built in the assembly plant from what I understand. Everything else is just boled on or plugged in.

Considering those facts, ten weeks seems like a pretty long time to me...

:)

There ya go... I learn something new every day..... :Cheers2:

Reactions: Sparro
The 1st thing to happen in 'assembly' (as soon as the first part hits the line) is the build tag being attached to the unit.
All necessary parts are ready to go (as someone said - JIT....((just in time)) works fine).
At 55 - 60 per hour, it takes about 2.5 - 3 days from start to finish. (ford plant I worked at)
If they spit out 30 -40 Corvettes an hour, I'm going to guess 3-4 days from start to finish.
There's only so many miles of assembly line in any given plant.......there's nowhere else the unit can go, unless major repair........but even those are taken care of asap.
I'm going out on a limb here, but, if any car spent 10 weeks in assembly, it would cost at least 10X what they cost now.

Are you forgetting the time involved for the love and care in assembly for the line worker to step back and take a deep breath and admire the work that they just performed?
Then smack the button for the next one to roll in ... and repeat 😂👍🏻

The 1st thing to happen in 'assembly' (as soon as the first part hits the line) is the build tag being attached to the unit.
All necessary parts are ready to go (as someone said - JIT....((just in time)) works fine).
At 55 - 60 per hour, it takes about 2.5 - 3 days from start to finish. (ford plant I worked at)
If they spit out 30 -40 Corvettes an hour, I'm going to guess 3-4 days from start to finish.
There's only so many miles of assembly line in any given plant.......there's nowhere else the unit can go, unless major repair........but even those are taken care of asap.
I'm going out on a limb here, but, if any car spent 10 weeks in assembly, it would cost at least 10X what they cost now.
Ok! U R going to have to trade in your vette for a GT 500 - where is the loyalty eh?....:Woohoo:

Ok! U R going to have to trade in your vette for a GT 500 - where is the loyalty eh?....:Woohoo:
It lies with honda for some strange reason.
I'm not even sure I even like the GT.....now with a six banger.
GT500? Nope. I'd rather have the Corvette.
I've had one form or another honda (or acura) since my 1st new accord in '79. Ridgeline is my daily atm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread