I've had my C8 for about 3 weeks, and I thought I would share and compare the car to some of the other vehicles I've owned. Here's where I'm coming from, from a motoring perspective. I've had lots of seat time in older to newer Porsches, from models like the 928S to a newer GTS specs equipped with a PDK. I used to own a C6 Z06, a car I absolutely adored. I stripped and re-built a 1973 Camaro with a full LS swap and T56 swap and is one of those projects that never seems to end. And I've been an avid motorcyclist for the last 20 years, with the last 3 bikes being litre bikes with some track duty. I won't get into the watersport toys...that's a whole other ball game.

Getting to the point, what you get in the C8 for the price you pay is unreal. The car is an engineering marvel for under $100K.

I spec'd my car modestly: 2LT Coupe, mag ride, Z51, front lift, competition seats, engine appearance package.

Looks are always subjective, so I won't get too much into that topic. What I will say is that the wheel gap is a shade high for my taste, but is easily remedied.

Power delivery is smooth and linear as a N/A car typically is. What surprised me the most was how effortless the car feels when you get on it up to highway speeds. If I was to compare it to my C6 Z06, the LS7 was just violent and raw. This gets you there so much more civilized and without the theatrics. If I was to use one word, it would be "refined". The power plant come from similar architecture as the older LS stuff, but it feels like something completely different. This has nothing of the muscle car feel the older generations used to portray. I think part of that has to do with noise this C8 makes, particularly cabin vs outside. I don't want to sound pretentious, but 500hp might be enough for some people, but I want more.

When I used to take my Z06 out for a day trip, my ears would be ringing by the evening. The road noise, coupled with exhaust notes were aggressive. The C8 is quiet in comparison...maybe even too quiet for my liking. Even in track mode with the exhaust valves wide open, the car feels muted from the inside. But from outside, yea, it sounds decent. For now though, I'm keeping the exhaust stock. I really like having the ability to keep things quiet, and when I want to wake up the dead, I jump in my Camaro and bang on some gears.

On the topic of gears, let's talk about the DCT. Bottom line, it's quick but I think Porsche does a better job with their PDK from a programming perspective inside the TCM. When you throw the Porsche PDK into Sport Plus, the transmission is telepathic and just knows what gear to be in. It holds you in the right power band, upshifts are precise, and it knows when the perfect time is to downshift. The C8 DCT is just as capable mechanically, but the TCM just isn't as intuitive I find myself hitting the paddles to get into the right gear, whereas the PDK just knows. The other thing is that for the DCT to be in its sportiest mode, you have to be in track mode. I don't believe there is a standalone setting for the transmission to adjust on the fly on the C8.

Onto the suspension, specifically mag ride. My C6 wasn't equipped with mag ride, but let me tell you this....I am glad I checked this box. You can definitely feel the mag ride working when you go through the different modes. Driving through downtown Toronto was spine shattering in the Z06, while the C8 does an amazing job of soaking things up when you are in tour mode. Very similar to what I said about the DCT, it would be good if dampening was adjustable on the fly as an independent setting. With mag ride, you are married to whatever setting the mode is set to.

With regards to steering and turns, the car feels planted and inspires confidence to push harder and harder. I haven't experienced any under-steer, but it might be more apparent in track conditions. Steering feel is excellent. I might argue that it is better if not on par with the German products and you can certainly feel the benefits of moving to a mid-engine platform. It's tough to describe, but you don't feel like you are lagging behind a long nose, and can just get the car into the apex easier with less thought and coordination. It was a good move that offers other benefits. The one car I would say that has "better" turn-in feel would be something like the Mercedes GT. I say better in quotes, because the feeling is subjective in my opinion. I had a day with the latest generation Benz GT-R, and even at low speeds you feel the GT-R is something special because it pivots with its 4 wheel steering. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison given the price disparity, but wanted to share my experience. Regardless, the C8 handles very well and feels very McLaren 540.

I remember the first track day with my Z06...I had to try and anchor myself with the dead pedal because I was getting thrown around from the lack of bolstering in the seats. That said, I'm glad I went with the competition seats. They offer good support, and aren't intrusive with the side and leg bolsters, although I do wish the seats offered more adjustability. On my last Porsche, I spec'd it with an 18 way seat...that really let you dial in things in from a comfort and support perspective. The C8 comp seats don't offer any adjustments on the lower bolsters and for everyday city driving, it would be nice to make them a shade less pronounced. But at 5'10 and 195 lbs, they don't really bother me.

I had the car ceramic coated. First car I've done that to, so we'll see if it's worth it in the long run.

Other mods ordered:

radiator guards
GM car cover
20mm wheels spacers
lowering sleeves
5VM front and side skirts
highwing from GM (if that ever comes in)

Like many others, I debated selling it for a quick buck. $20K extra in your pocket is nothing to scoff at, but I think I'll pass on the money and enjoy the car.

Have you broken in your C8 yet?
The computer is adaptive for the way you drive and the DCT will learn. I found that while I was somewhat aggressive during break in it still seemed to become more capable after the 806 or whatever KM's

Nice review and you're off to a great start on the Forums. Thanks for sharing and not only the good but the "bad" as well. I suspect the C8 Z06 will answer some of the short comings you've mentioned, especially if you're into track driving. But everyone agrees you can't match the "bang for your buck" with this inaugural C8 Stingray. I look forward to your other postings.

I've had my C8 for about 3 weeks, and I thought I would share and compare the car to some of the other vehicles I've owned. Here's where I'm coming from, from a motoring perspective. I've had lots of seat time in older to newer Porsches, from models like the 928S to a newer GTS specs equipped with a PDK. I used to own a C6 Z06, a car I absolutely adored. I stripped and re-built a 1973 Camaro with a full LS swap and T56 swap and is one of those projects that never seems to end. And I've been an avid motorcyclist for the last 20 years, with the last 3 bikes being litre bikes with some track duty. I won't get into the watersport toys...that's a whole other ball game.

Getting to the point, what you get in the C8 for the price you pay is unreal. The car is an engineering marvel for under $100K.

I spec'd my car modestly: 2LT Coupe, mag ride, Z51, front lift, competition seats, engine appearance package.

Looks are always subjective, so I won't get too much into that topic. What I will say is that the wheel gap is a shade high for my taste, but is easily remedied.

Power delivery is smooth and linear as a N/A car typically is. What surprised me the most was how effortless the car feels when you get on it up to highway speeds. If I was to compare it to my C6 Z06, the LS7 was just violent and raw. This gets you there so much more civilized and without the theatrics. If I was to use one word, it would be "refined". The power plant come from similar architecture as the older LS stuff, but it feels like something completely different. This has nothing of the muscle car feel the older generations used to portray. I think part of that has to do with noise this C8 makes, particularly cabin vs outside. I don't want to sound pretentious, but 500hp might be enough for some people, but I want more.

When I used to take my Z06 out for a day trip, my ears would be ringing by the evening. The road noise, coupled with exhaust notes were aggressive. The C8 is quiet in comparison...maybe even too quiet for my liking. Even in track mode with the exhaust valves wide open, the car feels muted from the inside. But from outside, yea, it sounds decent. For now though, I'm keeping the exhaust stock. I really like having the ability to keep things quiet, and when I want to wake up the dead, I jump in my Camaro and bang on some gears.

On the topic of gears, let's talk about the DCT. Bottom line, it's quick but I think Porsche does a better job with their PDK from a programming perspective inside the TCM. When you throw the Porsche PDK into Sport Plus, the transmission is telepathic and just knows what gear to be in. It holds you in the right power band, upshifts are precise, and it knows when the perfect time is to downshift. The C8 DCT is just as capable mechanically, but the TCM just isn't as intuitive I find myself hitting the paddles to get into the right gear, whereas the PDK just knows. The other thing is that for the DCT to be in its sportiest mode, you have to be in track mode. I don't believe there is a standalone setting for the transmission to adjust on the fly on the C8.

Onto the suspension, specifically mag ride. My C6 wasn't equipped with mag ride, but let me tell you this....I am glad I checked this box. You can definitely feel the mag ride working when you go through the different modes. Driving through downtown Toronto was spine shattering in the Z06, while the C8 does an amazing job of soaking things up when you are in tour mode. Very similar to what I said about the DCT, it would be good if dampening was adjustable on the fly as an independent setting. With mag ride, you are married to whatever setting the mode is set to.

With regards to steering and turns, the car feels planted and inspires confidence to push harder and harder. I haven't experienced any under-steer, but it might be more apparent in track conditions. Steering feel is excellent. I might argue that it is better if not on par with the German products and you can certainly feel the benefits of moving to a mid-engine platform. It's tough to describe, but you don't feel like you are lagging behind a long nose, and can just get the car into the apex easier with less thought and coordination. It was a good move that offers other benefits. The one car I would say that has "better" turn-in feel would be something like the Mercedes GT. I say better in quotes, because the feeling is subjective in my opinion. I had a day with the latest generation Benz GT-R, and even at low speeds you feel the GT-R is something special because it pivots with its 4 wheel steering. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison given the price disparity, but wanted to share my experience. Regardless, the C8 handles very well and feels very McLaren 540.

I remember the first track day with my Z06...I had to try and anchor myself with the dead pedal because I was getting thrown around from the lack of bolstering in the seats. That said, I'm glad I went with the competition seats. They offer good support, and aren't intrusive with the side and leg bolsters, although I do wish the seats offered more adjustability. On my last Porsche, I spec'd it with an 18 way seat...that really let you dial in things in from a comfort and support perspective. The C8 comp seats don't offer any adjustments on the lower bolsters and for everyday city driving, it would be nice to make them a shade less pronounced. But at 5'10 and 195 lbs, they don't really bother me.

I had the car ceramic coated. First car I've done that to, so we'll see if it's worth it in the long run.

Other mods ordered:

radiator guards
GM car cover
20mm wheels spacers
lowering sleeves
5VM front and side skirts
highwing from GM (if that ever comes in)

Like many others, I debated selling it for a quick buck. $20K extra in your pocket is nothing to scoff at, but I think I'll pass on the money and enjoy the car.
I can change driving modes on the fly which are or can be manually edited to include exhaust noise, suspension stiffness, transmission shift points and speed, and steering on my C8. Cheers!

• Winner
Reactions: Rruuff Day