Z51 and base C7 same width tires and same grip, both have 300 thread wear rating, both have 285's on the back and 245's on the front. Only difference is rim height. I plan to drive and autocross mine to death, the way they were meant to be driven. GM didn't offer Z51 options or a Z06 so you could only take Sunday grocery shopping.
Anything less and you're missing out out on so much driving enjoyment. Everyone has different opinions and each of us order differently to suit our own needs and desires. There is really no wrong or right way to order a C7. Order for your needs and intent, then you have the perfect C7 for you, that's matters in the end.

Base C7 & Z51 have the same grip. WRONG :nono:
Base C7 has a single tread rubber compound blending dry/wet traction & tread life...Z51 has side-by-side tread compounds delivering near-racing-slick dry grip & handling levels.
Steel belt angles used on base C7 emphasize ride & tread life...Z51 belt angles focus on increasing performance & at-the-limit handling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Base C7 & Z51 have the same grip. WRONG :nono:
Base C7 has a single tread rubber compound blending dry/wet traction & tread life...Z51's feature side-by-side tread compounds delivering near-racing-slick dry grip & handling levels.
Steel belt angles used on base C7 emphasize ride & tread life...angles used for Z51's focus on increasing performance & at-the-limit handling.

Please provide links to back up your claim they are different. ................
Only difference might be slightly different load ranges which doesn't really have anything to do with traction.
A Pilot Super Sport all sizes pretty much make the same claim. "Bi-compound delivers excellent dry braking using LeMans-inspired compound on the outer shoulder and the latest generation of wet-oriented elastomers on the inner portion of the tread."

Non Z51 tire Pilot Super Sport | Michelin Tires

Z51 tire Pilot Super Sport | Michelin Tires

Both links say dual compound tires.

Wayne...hand me a beer!:D
The Pilot Super Sport ZP (Zero Pessure) is Michelin’s Max Performance Summer run-flat tire originally developed for the 2014 Corvette Stingray. In addition to offering temporary extended mobility, Pilot Super Sport ZP tires also deliver world-class traction and handling in dry and wet conditions. However, like all summer tires, they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Because the Z51 Performance Package takes the Corvette Stingray to a more aggressive level of performance, Michelin has developed vehicle/size specific Pilot Super Sport ZP tires to permit fine-tuning features to match their vehicle application.

Vehicle Application Front Rear
Corvette Stingray P245/40ZR18 (93Y) P285/35ZR19 (99Y)
Corvette Stingray Z51 P245/35ZR19 (89Y) P285/30ZR20 (95Y)

Both versions employ an asymmetric tread design that features a low-void outboard shoulder for cornering while their notched center ribs and inboard shoulder promote high-speed performance in dry conditions. Wide circumferential grooves and lateral notches help channel water through the footprint to maintain wet traction. Sizes for the standard Corvette Stingray use a single tread rubber compound that blends dry traction, wet traction and tread life; while the sizes for Z51 equipped cars feature side-by-side tread compounds that deliver near-racing-slick dry grip and handling levels, without abandoning tread life and wet handling.

Both tires feature twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound Twaron cord. The angles at which the steel belts are molded into each version have been tuned to balance performance and comfort. The steel belt angles used for the standard car emphasize ride and treadlife, while the angles used for the Z51 tires focus on increasing performance and at-the-limit handling.

Twaron is a polyamide cord that offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance high-speed handling, wear and durability. It is applied using Michelin FAZ Technology (Filament At Zero degrees) that allows Michelin engineers to tune tension and strength by winding the cord around the tire circumference much the same way fishing line is wound onto a fishing reel.

Michelin Zero Pressure Technology reinforces sidewalls by adding run-flat inserts that allow tires to temporarily carry the weight of the vehicle in the event a puncture results in complete loss of tire pressure. The Pilot Super Sport ZP is designed to allow Corvette drivers to continue their journey for up to 50 miles at up to 55 mph. Both tires feature asymmetric run-flat inserts and casing components designed to broaden tire performances by focusing distinct functions on the appropriate sidewall. Inboard sidewalls feature a more rigid insert that increases sidewall stability to provide the majority of run-flat capability, as well as to transfer torque during acceleration, braking and cornering. Outboard sidewalls feature a softer insert that increases sidewall flexibility to maintain footprint size when cornering, as well as to enhance ride quality and tread life.

Last edited by a moderator:
A beer it is. They have the same thread wear rating of 300, slightly different construction due to lower profile on the Z51 tire giving it less sidewall flex allowing it to preform better on the track. Not sure if there would be much if any difference in a straight line. I have seen a non Z51's out preform Z51's on the track, boils down to the driver.
Time to get back on topic, sorry guys..

Tomorrow is allocation day

My dealer is getting 2 allocations tomorrow and we hoping one will be a Z51 for me. The one they got last month as a regular model.

They are telling me up to 4-6 weeks for production and then 4 weeks to deliver to west coast her. Hoping for early May delivery

Z51 includes dry sump lubrication

Unless I missed it, the most important feature of the Z51 option was not mentioned here. The dry sump system prevents loss of oil pressure in cornering. It distinguishes the trackworthy like the Z51 Corvette and the Z28 Camaro from the Mustangs and Mopars.

It is Tues or Weds because....

Dealer notified of active allocation on Thurs (Thurs is a Concensus day)
Dealer has until Tuesday to get the GM Workbench approved with no constraints
Tuesday it is picked up and moved to 2000 or the allocation is moved along elsewhere.
If it follows the same pattern i have seen...moves to 3000 and then TPW issued day to a week later.

My present Z07 allocation went from 1100 to 3050 and notified of TPW in a day. This happened to me last fall as well when Sherwood had a car for me and, as we were changing the config, it bumped from 2000 to 3000, meaning I couldn't get my config and would have to settle with the orig config. I passed on that as I already had my present order. I had gotten caught up briefly in the idea of having one of the first Canada deliveries last Fall of a Z06...but then again would have lost out on Auto.

It seems pretty common for people to always get those calls for last minute changes, or to create the order in some cases, on Thurs because the order had the allocation attached.

Last edited:
They told me that my order does not require changes - I choose transparent roof and all the standard items. Of the 2 allocations they got only one was Z51 so that was no issue as I was next in line. They told me early next week they can give me an expected production date. They are thinking mid to late April and delivery in Mid May. I put my deposit down in Jan 2014. This crazy as in the states there are cars on a lot of lots and custom orders are 3 months. Oh well ill be happy to have my first corvette soon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.