Featured Thread
Good post Derek. And yes.This guy is easy to watch and not over the top like most. The Hellcat performed very well. If the Hellcat hooked up, the Z06 probably wouldn't have showed as well as it did. Of course with a M7, the driver does make a big difference.. (Weird but 1-->2 has never been a weak shift for me). When you run the numbers, the Z (based on weight to HP and aero advantages) should have dominated the Hellcat.... Go figure....

......The Dodge is 1000 lbs heavier and 10" longer wheelbase than the Vette. Even the weight difference by stuffing 5 200 lb guys in the Vette ( plus the driver ) and see what happens.
Not a lot of room for 5 - 200 pounders in the C7 Michael. Do better with 1000 pounds of lead (or Brenda's suitcase) in the back. And would hook up better too. Even with 60 psi in the rear tires. :rofl:

Not a lot of room for 5 - 200 pounders in the C7 Michael. Do better with 1000 pounds of lead (or Brenda's suitcase) in the back. And would hook up better too. Even with 60 psi in the rear tires. :rofl:
.....better check the GVW on the car before you throw that suit case in. I think the vette's suspension would fold if added another 1000 lbs. Maybe could do like Farmtruck on Street Outlaws, I seen him last night pulling a boat on a trailer and out dragged some fancy sports car, don't think it was a vette but I can't tell the difference these days. Maybe pull a boat with the Vette to kinda even the odds then try drag the Dodge and see what it does in the 1/2 mile..:Biggrin:

Last edited:
.....better check the GVW on the car before you through that suit case in. I think the vette's suspension would fold if added another 1000 lbs. Maybe could do like Farmtruck on Street Outlaws, I seen him last night pulling a boat on a trailer and out dragged some fancy sports car, don't think it was a vette but I can't tell the difference these days. Maybe pull a boat with the Vette to kinda even the odds then try drag the Dodge and see what it does in the 1/2 mile..:Biggrin:
Yeah. You're prbably right Michael. Ok... 250 pounds of wheel weights on each wheel... Better? lol

Reactions: ccltj and XFIRE82
Yep, the Challenger is something like 4500 pounds. One of the first things that I did with mine is change the wheels.
hc_side.jpg

......The Dodge is 1000 lbs heavier and 10" longer wheelbase than the Vette. Even the weight difference by stuffing 5 200 lb guys in the Vette ( plus the driver ) and see what happens.

Interesting points gents. The Hellcat is 707 HP out of the box as well. The factory tune on the engine and traction control are possibly more aggressive and less intrusive as well on the Hellcat. I haven't driven a Hellcat but I can assure you the intervention on the Z06 is a real thing. That car will not spin tires more than a chirp off the line with the nannies on. I took it all off once and the car became much more Hellcat like. It would be interesting to see these 2 cars go side by side with an identical as possible tunes and active handling setups.
I really suspect Dodge has a much better; or more aggressive factory tune. If so it does indicate the engine build and design is rock solid. The supercharger on the Z06 is pulling 150 HP at max power and you can barely hear it. The SC on the Hellcat screams....maybe just acoustics but possibly it's just that much bigger.
As far as transmissions go. The advantage is with the auto if it's in good shape and used properly. The manual is simply all about skill.

I love the handling of my Z06 which I believe is well accepted as far superior to the Hellcat; but I sure would not turn down a Demon, Hellcat or Redeye if one was there for the taking. :thumbs:

I had my 2016 Challenger and did 11.7 on my first and only time out. The guy beside me had a coolant leak so I got to run by myself. My reaction time was pathetic because the light turned green before I took off. I didn't do a burn-out either because I was so nervous. I had the traction control completely off and put the transmission and suspension in sport mode. I had drag radials on the car and it hooked up great and I just kept it to the floor all the way. May take the Z06 this year but I need more practice speed shifting the standard.

Last edited:
This is an interesting debate that bugs me in so many ways, lol. No offense meant to anyone for what I may say that you might not agree with or like!

First of all, it has always bugged the hell out of me that people like to take the top of the line car from whatever manufacturer, and put it up against a popular but not top of the line Corvette. Why do people do this so often?

Secondly, I have a hard time understanding why these cars are compared against one another when they are completely different beasts. The Corvette is a proper sports car, and even though the Hellcat has a lot of power, it is a grand touring car. In any other tests besides a straight-line drag race, the Corvette will dominate significantly. Straight line performance is just one tiny aspect of what a car is capable of, and I think it is silly to use this as 'the' measuring stick. Oh well, who cares? Which one is faster?

The video is interesting, and the guy is very unemotional (which is great), but he also talks a lot of nothing and gives no conclusion. In the first race he acknowledges that the Z06 has problems off the launch, and beats it by a couple of car lengths. There is no real explanation of what happens in the second race (other than that the Z06 seemed to get a bit of a 'jump'), but the difference was several car lengths.

We can argue statistics all day. The Corvette is lighter, and has a better power to weight ratio. The Hellcat has more power and more importantly, more torque. It is another age-old argument that the lighter car with the better power to weight ratio has the advantage, but the extra weight makes a significant difference on the Hellcat getting traction. Trust me, I've been there!

While I do think that this video is inconclusive, I will say that when dealing with these kind of power levels, it literally comes down to the driver and their knowledge of their vehicle and their ability to get the power down effectively.

And THAT is a much more difficult thing to do than clicking on a video link. LOL!

Give it a try. I did.

Me versus a 2015 Hellcat Charger:

• Wow
Reactions: Riley P and ccltj
This is an interesting debate that bugs me in so many ways, lol. No offense meant to anyone for what I may say that you might not agree with or like!

First of all, it has always bugged the hell out of me that people like to take the top of the line car from whatever manufacturer, and put it up against a popular but not top of the line Corvette. Why do people do this so often?

Secondly, I have a hard time understanding why these cars are compared against one another when they are completely different beasts. The Corvette is a proper sports car, and even though the Hellcat has a lot of power, it is a grand touring car. In any other tests besides a straight-line drag race, the Corvette will dominate significantly. Straight line performance is just one tiny aspect of what a car is capable of, and I think it is silly to use this as 'the' measuring stick. Oh well, who cares? Which one is faster?

The video is interesting, and the guy is very unemotional (which is great), but he also talks a lot of nothing and gives no conclusion. In the first race he acknowledges that the Z06 has problems off the launch, and beats it by a couple of car lengths. There is no real explanation of what happens in the second race (other than that the Z06 seemed to get a bit of a 'jump'), but the difference was several car lengths.

We can argue statistics all day. The Corvette is lighter, and has a better power to weight ratio. The Hellcat has more power and more importantly, more torque. It is another age-old argument that the lighter car with the better power to weight ratio has the advantage, but the extra weight makes a significant difference on the Hellcat getting traction. Trust me, I've been there!

While I do think that this video is inconclusive, I will say that when dealing with these kind of power levels, it literally comes down to the driver and their knowledge of their vehicle and their ability to get the power down effectively.

And THAT is a much more difficult thing to do than clicking on a video link. LOL!

Give it a try. I did.

Me versus a 2015 Hellcat Charger:

Well, the post was just fun comparison on a very unscientific straight line pull or 2. It's not meant to be more than that. Being schooled by you was not the intent of the post. But feel free to state the obvious if you must.

Thought it would be fun to discuss but apparently not worthy of your consideration for us mere mortals.

Thanks so much :thumbs:

My 1st night at the drags with my Z06 was.........interesting.
I bought it on a Thursday, and raced it Friday.
First pass - over 18 seconds. Ya, I'm laughing too.
All nannies on (afaik) and the tires were still spinning through the trap. I also forgot to put my helmet on.....did that in a panic in the starting boxbox.
Second pass. Another vette in the other lane. This time I hooked it up better, and beat him.
Third pass. Hellcat next door. (Here's where skills are necessary) I took off like a newb, and got smoked. Wasn't the car's fault......totally on me.....embarrased.

Here's the other vette and me. (I'm the white one)

Well, the post was just fun comparison on a very unscientific straight line pull or 2. It's not meant to be more than that. Being schooled by you was not the intent of the post. But feel free to state the obvious if you must.

Thought it would be fun to discuss but apparently not worthy of your consideration for us mere mortals.

Thanks so much :thumbs:

Sorry Derek, I didn't mean to come off like a douche or anything. I was simply trying to say that it really comes down to the driver at these power levels, and if there was any 'schooling' involved, it was me quickly learning that I needed to make absolutely ZERO mistakes.

My point was only to say that at these power levels, anybody can win on any given day with a bit of finesse and skill (or luck, if you prefer).

It is indeed fun to discuss, hence this discussion.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread