Zora

Corvettes & Road Trips: Priceless
Regular
Sep 23, 2018
U.S. Pacific Northwest
VetteCoins
Originally posted by WoW Factor: “According to a thread on GM Authority only 1,244 Corvettes sold in the U.S. during November 2018, a 51.5% drop from November 2017.”

What is expecially troublesome is that during November they made 93 per day for 20 days, or 1860 new C7’s. That deliveries to production ratio is going to get even worse for December, January, and February, e.g. so many more unsold new Corvette piling up every month. Add another 600+ more unsold Corvettes sitting on Corvette dealers lots just for November alone.

As we also know, every day a bunch of non-forum Corvette folks are waking up to learn about the upcoming C8, and consequently that ratio is going to get worse for perhaps not just the winter, but maybe even for early Spring and even summer? A key question we do not know, is whether GM is, as their plans were in December 11, 2017 in an internal document sent to its dealers, was that 2019 C7 production was listed then as going to continue though next March. Will that estimated end of 2019 production date hold?

This doesn’t surprise me. The customers waiting for the C8 combined with the season make it fairly easy to rationalize. I would like to see the specific winter sales statistics for the last 4 years to compare. The C7 overall sales were sloping downwards after 16 which is not a surprise either as garages were getting plugged with them by then.
The bigger picture of corvette sales trends by generation could expose this as “fake news”
although interesting and thanks for posting it Zora.
There has always been a decline in sales over the generations leading to a big bump up with the next generation coming out. Wonder how the ME C8 will fare? Although traditionally there has never been an overlapping generation in corvette production many are hoping there is with the C7/C8. Very interesting times ahead as there are so many forum posters all over insisting they will not drive a ME car. Likely half of them would change their mind quick after seeing the new ME, but I wonder how many would not. So is GM going to gamble to go exclusively to the C8 as the younger buyer will move to and grow into this market while expecting the die hard FE guys are getting too old and will be falling away in the next few years? Seems a bit cold hearted but this is a rational business decision.
Yes... interesting times are coming for Corvette customers.

CCFE26B0-D979-4C72-8274-07F88E326FE2.jpeg

The full article is here for some historical info on the overall sales by year and generation.
Corvette Sales Volume by Year - Production Numbers Since 1953

Reactions: Zora
With winter upon us it seems to make sense the orders for the C7 would drop off, as well as most other vehicles not just GM. I am sure many are holding off to see the C8 when it is unveiled I assume in the Detroit Auto Show in January. The ME C8 will be right up some peoples alley but not all. The price range will affect the sales somewhat, but there is those who have deep pockets and price will be no deterrent. I for one was considering ordering a C7 this winter but on the fence now waiting to see the ME C8 and what price range it will be. This probably be my last car I order so want to make the right decision.

Reactions: Zora
Good for you Cruzin to hold off, for we all know the worst decision is to buy a new car, then a week or whenever later, be incredibly upset we had not waited. There will be tons and tons of C7’s available all next year, even if there is no 2020 FE production — guessing at an even bigger discount than now.

And perhaps even better for you and some others who decide after the reveal and not loving it, with many trading in or private marketing selling their C7’s, they are going to be going very cheap — including those in low-mileage and near pristine condition.

As one example, I paid $94K US for my C7 Z06 produced the first week, spend $14K on polishing, clear bra, CQuart Finest, and so much more, though if I am fortunate, I will sell it when my C8 arrives for half price. It will have 21,000, super pampered miles on it. I have many more friends who similarly are going to take a bath on their C7’s when they trade it in, or private market sell it right before their C8 arrives.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ccltj and ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.