YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
9B532C18-508C-4F4B-94C0-5D4B4269578F.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t think my thread needs to take this tone - if I’m taking the sarcasm correctly. I’m pretty sure there are people who have not replaced a remote battery. I have not until yesterday. Took the time to take photos and post this thread to perhaps give those the confidence to do it - Instead of a GM Tech to do it at the Dealership. The manuals are notorious for minimizing explanation ... so this thread is made. Hoping for others to have the same success to not blemish the fob in the process - as I know that is the primary reason for some to perhaps not even taking this task on.
For those who know everything, please just ignore this thread. For those who know much less, I hope this thread keeps you from having to ask. I will say, it’s easier to do a second time, once done.

I actually made this thread in the process of resolving start-up problems on two Corvettes in another thread.
I will stop my DIY at the point of dismantling the engine though (sarcasm) 😂
And you did one hell of a good job Spence.
Don't know if I would have had the patience to take all the pics.
Great detailed description.

• Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller
Sincere apologies. No sarcasm, or anything else was ever intended.
I'm truly blown away hearing / knowing there are people who take a key fob to someone / dealer for a battery.
My (lame) intention was to show how and why fobs (with hidden keys) are biult the way they are, and have simple built in properties for anyone to utilize.
Just "trying" to pass on good info that some kind person passed onto me.

Good bye.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Ya ... The Car Dealers get to do many for customers most likely when people take their car in for the dash alert.
As a person might not dare to take this on for fear of having a blemish/notch from a screwdriver.
It is what it is.

Last edited:
I was able to replace the battery OK; but, the key release does not work - I did not notice a small spring? I guess it must have been lost during the change? I did not see a spring anywhere. I emailed the FB poster of the video on changing it and he got back to me saying that there is no spring? Confused?

I was able to replace the battery OK; but, the key release does not work - I did not notice a small spring? I guess it must have been lost during the change? I did not see a spring anywhere. I emailed the FB poster of the video on changing it and he got back to me saying that there is no spring? Confused?
I took a few more photos today of the spring and the key release tab that it is a part of. You will not see the spring unless the tab detaches and it wiggles back to lock in place when detached. Hope this helps.
The spring is to push the tab against the two middle claws on the key and lock it into the case until you push the tab button to release the key again ...
CF086F63-D240-40F9-A0FE-A2B7C348F484.jpeg

C33A4FE8-03B4-4C22-A430-A8585378B34C.jpeg

B90AA323-BBDD-4E7D-9BFF-510553C3204D.jpeg

22338F02-28DE-441F-9588-CB4D5B4A827F.jpeg

64DF8912-B798-4E84-92F7-2505CD8065DC.jpeg

I do not recall ever seeing a spring - and was told there was no spring. I did this on my desk, so, you would think I'd see the spring get displaced. I guess I will have to see if I can get a spring? Everything still works though the key could fall out - ooops. Thanks for the tutorial. When I watched the battery being changed on UT he did not mention a spring; nor, did I see one ??

I don’t think my thread needs to take this tone - if I’m taking the sarcasm correctly.
I’m pretty sure there are people who have not replaced a remote battery.
I'm not above anyone to admit that I have not until yesterday.
So I took the time to take photos and post this thread to perhaps give those the confidence to do it too.
This instead of a GM Tech to do it at the Dealership as the manuals are notorious for minimizing explanation.
Hoping for others to have the same success to not blemish the fob in the process - as I know that may be a
prime reason for some to perhaps not even taking this task on.
For those who know everything about the key fob, please just ignore this thread.
For those who know much less, I hope this thread keeps you from having to ask.
I will say, it’s easier to do a second time, once done.

I actually made this thread in the process of resolving start-up problems
on two Corvettes in another thread.
I will stop my DIY at the point of dismantling the engine though (sarcasm)
😂
Thank you sir for taking the time to write this up with pics. My '14 C7 Z51 would not start last week after 7 months on the Battery Maintainer.....hope it's the fobs.

Reactions: YFCvii
C'mon man. You haven't had to take it apart yet to swap a battery?
Just did it today.
Fairly easy to do especially with SN's photo guidance.
Bought in 2016 and battery in the main FOB just died this month so that is 4yrs of summer use and a few times over the winter. It did give me a few weeks warning that the battery needed to be replaced. I just kept on running until I had to use the key to pop the trunk, pull the cable to open the door (while anti-theft horn honking) and put the FOB in the slot to start up. Funny thing is that once I did this the FOB worked OK the rest of the day. Just would die when overnighted. The secondary FOB works OK still with original battery. Will use it until battery needs replacing. Just won't wait for it to die before changing the battery.
SN is quite right. Easier to take apart if you have done it once already. FOB wouldn't work with new battery so I cracked open again and put the battery in the right way. LOL
Works now without having to relearn.

Reactions: YFCvii