Feb 5, 2009
Richmond Hill
VetteCoins
Car
2019 2LT M7 Stingray
Can anyone tell me how the clean the throttle body on my 07 C6 coupe - is this something safe to do at home, will I damage the MAF sensor?

I tried to Google to find instructions but to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Do not wipe with a rag. Spray throttle body cleaner into an open throttle body inlet. This should also clean the airflow sensor.

Get some help or let a pro do it if you've not done it b4.

Unbolt it , its on 4 10mil bolts and a gear clamp, clean it by hand with a rag and TB cleaner . Bolt it back on and your good to go :D

thanks, how do I know which part it is (is it the aluminum part right after the air intake?)!

I'll bow to Manny's expertise if necessary but the reason I said carefully into an open throttle body (with the engine running) is to help clean whatever crud has formed inside the intake tract also.

As to where to spray: Wherever you can see a dirty carbon buildup: on the inside of the throttle body housing and the throttle shaft/plate (butterfly).

Manny, what do you have against this much easier way?
If done properly (without excess cleaner), it's much quicker with less likelyhood of losing/breaking anything taken apart and reassembled (assuming a relatively untrained hand).

This also helps clean downstream somewhat which one must assume is dirty if the TB is dirty.

I've done this several times but not on recent rides -- Is there something to avoid on new intakes??????

TB is the Aluminum part right after the intake .

Colin it is just as easy and much better to remove the TB for cleaning , and you can actually see what you are cleaning as well as look inside the intake with a flashlight :D

Manny way = good and clean
Lazy way = ???????? maybe its clean maybe you missed a big peice of crud :rofl:

TB is the Aluminum part right after the intake .

Colin it is just as easy and much better to remove the TB for cleaning , and you can actually see what you are cleaning as well as look inside the intake with a flashlight :D

Manny way = good and clean
Lazy way = ???????? maybe its clean maybe you missed a big peice of crud :rofl:

Manny, Manny, Manny -- "lazy way" ? -- On that we can agree: not good to be lazy and I would never suggest it. :)

Just to pursue this a little more tho: So assuming that we find the TB in a crudded out state (this would be common if proper service was not performed) would one not assume that the same cleaning would be needed for the intake manifold? Yes I realize that pushing that crud thru would happen but at least it would help with cleaning downstream. (assuming the owner won't or can't take the whole thing off as a unit to clean.) -- Not everyone has our expertise, tools or time to take things apart., or have the money to just replace an intake manifold when it gets dirty. :)

I'm sure you've heard of the spray cleaning procedure -- It is fairly common and to me less intrusive, and maybe even more complete.
.. btw is there not another cleaning choice (SeaFoam) that could be used in the event of really dirty intake? -- I don't know if there's one for the air intake as well as all the other parts of the engine.

I may be all wet here, but I really don't think so.
Please comment. (not on my wetness but on the subject at hand.:rofl:)

Last edited:
Well your kind of right ....Some don't have the skills to do it the remove and replace way , and yes sprays do work . I have never used seafoam , but some swear by it . . You will always find some kind of build up in the intake... oil and crud is common . This does not mean it has to be replaced just cleaned up some .

For me on a personal level and just l like to see what I am cleaning and that it made a difference. Thats not to say that if you do it the spray way its wrong :D

Going out for a cruise in in about an hour :D

Well your kind of right ....Some don't have the skills to do it the remove and replace way , and yes sprays do work . I have never used seafoam , but some swear by it . . You will always find some kind of build up in the intake... oil and crud is common . This does not mean it has to be replaced just cleaned up some .

For me on a personal level and just l like to see what I am cleaning and that it made a difference. Thats not to say that if you do it the spray way its wrong :D

Going out for a cruise in in about an hour :D

Thanks for clarifying ....... have a good cruise-- 'tis a great day for it.-- just finished one ourselves.:driving:

They cleaned it without taking it out and confirmed that it was quite dirty. I know for the future to have this service done on any car every few years.

Yes, I've heard very important for smooth idle, good gas mileage, and overall decent performance.

Probably good to have a look once a year and go from there depending on miles driven.

Enjoy your new found performance.:driving:

C.

I'm guessing that a battery disconnect would effect a reset but are there shortcut resets? I know of shortcuts on Infiniti vehicles involving throttle and brake pedals applications in a timely manner.

Manny, you privvy to any resets?

A battery disconnect works fine . I have done a few hundred throttle bodies , cleaning , porting , re & re and have never had to do an idle re-learn on any of them , C5 or C6 .

Maybe I'm just lucky:D