I've had change and keys in the same pocket as the fob and it didn't work. Pulled it out of my pocket and it worked fine. The transmitter isn't very powerful and it doesn't take much to mess up its signal. I put new batteries in both in 2012 when we bought our car and they have worked fine so far. Tim's advice is a good first step before spending a lot of money.

FYI for anyone who may ever care, dead key fob battery or not, you are never dead in the water. For either the C6 or the C7, you can use the key contained inside your key fob (oh yes there is), open the rear hatch with it (yes... there's a key slot above the licence plate, near the release button). With the hatch open, pull the little tab that has the wire attached, located on the left inside side panel. That opens the drivers door. Get in (through the now open driver's door) and insert the key fob into the slot GM was nice enough to design just for this purpose. In the C6, the slot is in the glove box. In the C7 the slot is on the right side of the steering column. For the C6, insert the fob in the slot with the buttons facing the passenger side. For the C7, insert with the buttons facing upward. Your computer will now recognize the key fob and you can start your car.

If you did not know this, or in addition wouldn't know how to get out of your car if you're inside and the door buttons didn't work for any reason, then while you have the glove box open, it might be a good idea for a refresher read through the owner's manual. If you have never read through your owner's manual, or maybe took it out of the glove box to make room for your gloves, or used it to start a campfire one night, or you just can't be bothered, well... good travels and I hope you never end up in either of these predicaments... :thumbs:

FYI for anyone who may ever care, dead key fob battery or not, you are never dead in the water. For either the C6 or the C7, you can use the key contained inside your key fob (oh yes there is), open the rear hatch with it (yes... there's a key slot above the licence plate, near the release button). With the hatch open, pull the little tab that has the wire attached, located on the left inside side panel. That opens the drivers door. Get in (through the now open driver's door) and insert the key fob into the slot GM was nice enough to design just for this purpose. In the C6, the slot is in the glove box. In the C7 the slot is on the right side of the steering column. For the C6, insert the fob in the slot with the buttons facing the passenger side. For the C7, insert with the buttons facing upward. Your computer will now recognize the key fob and you can start your car.

If you did not know this, or in addition wouldn't know how to get out of your car if you're inside and the door buttons didn't work for any reason, then while you have the glove box open, it might be a good idea for a refresher read through the owner's manual. If you have never read through your owner's manual, or maybe took it out of the glove box to make room for your gloves, or used it to start a campfire one night, or you just can't be bothered, well... good travels and I hope you never end up in either of these predicaments... :thumbs:

I know all this now.... but when I bought my first Corvette LMB 2006 Z06 in Los Angeles I didn't know about the glove box insert and was parked at the ocean away from LA and both said fobs not detected.

Good to change batteries every 2-3 years just to not have the headache.

B

had "no FOB detected" on my #1 FOB this week, my # 2 still worked, i got 2 new batteries. Is there a proper way to open the FOB? I took the key out and pryed it open but i thought for sure it was going to break it was so hard to open, thankfully it didn't but am i missing something like a release of some sort?

Last edited:
I replaced my fob battery this Spring and I am often getting the "no fob detected" message. I did a check on the battery and it was okay. It seems when I put everything back together the contact is weak since by just squeezing the fob a bit everything works again.

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
A small dab of graphite grease or Kopr Kote will help ward off corrosion and make for a better battery contact. Just don't get careless smearing it all around. It will conduct electricity to places you might not want it going to.
I bit the bullet and bought top of the line batteries...work perfectly...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.