Farmstar

I'm New Here
Feb 10, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
Soon c6
Province
ON
Hi guys new to the vette scene. I am currently looking for a c6 base model and I will be adding the wide body system to it. Has anybody done this and if so I would like some input as to what wheels would be needed and if any problems arise from doing this .

Thanks in advance

Bryan

Reactions: canuckster
Welcome Bryan.
Very interesting way to buy a corvette. Why a base and add a wide body? Why not buy the widebody Z06. Looking for something with a removable roof that was unavailable on the C6 Z06?
My 13 C6 Z06 was fantastic with all the ZR1 aero on it but I really missed the removable roof. So if that’s your reason I get it. As long as you know the chassis and engine is a lot different on the C6 between the base and Z06
Welcome aboard and I look forward to hear all about your quest. Plenty of great and knowledgeable guys here to help you out. 👍

Reactions: canuckster
Agree with Derek about the different reasons for wanting to go the base and modofy way. @wide'05 has a base 2005 C6 and widebodied it. Items to realize are:
- Buy GM widebody parts for best fit.
- Even with the GM parts there will still be fitting and body work required to assure the bodylines follow correctly.
- With the widebody you will have to add rims and tires as the originals will not look correct.

More infomration and discussion is always agood thing as you get into what you want. Good luck in your search and others will also add thier information as well!

Reactions: ddgermann
My intentions are to do the rims and tires anyways I’m a huge fan of the removable top section, this is swaying me to do the wide body. If I can get ahold of a z06 at a decent price i might jump on it. One upgrade for sure will be the c7 light upgrade. Then ZR1 brakes

Ah yes, the Morimoto XB headlight upgrade. Looking at those myself. Love the updated look for the C6 and is badass! The exchange rate is tough to swallow though. Wonder if several are bought at once there would be a reduced price> Team buy?
xb headlights.JPG

Reactions: ralexcur
Ah yes, the Morimoto XB headlight upgrade. Looking at those myself. Love the updated look for the C6 and is badass! The exchange rate is tough to swallow though. Wonder if several are bought at once there would be a reduced price> Team buy?

I was looking at those too. I thought they would look awesome on the car. Then my better half looked over my shoulder and spotted the price. I was told to not even try to ask for forgiveness unless I am asking the worms. :Angelsad2: :Arghh:

My better half didn't see the price but would have the same response!!

Paul...Just tell Joanne you really need a headlight upgrade for safety purposes and there'sonly two ways to do it.... $1500.00 for the Morimotos or $ 90,000.00 for a new C7.... :angelic: She will totally understand... ;)

If you are a fan of the wide body in the C6, would you consider a Grand Sport? Aren’t the roofs removable on those models?
I love those headlights. I’d jump on that. I spent more on mine just to get some decent light down the road so $1500 doesn’t seem too bad! :rofl:

If you go with factory body panels you will be able to use any number of Z06 fitment wheels. You could go factory options or with a bunch of aftermarket suppliers with the same offsets. You would have factory staggered options in 18/19 inch, which are more period correct if off the early Z06 models. The later models of Z's would give you 19/20 options. Also the C7 Z06 wheels will fit as well. There are numerous after market wheels with the same sizing and offset in every style and color you can think of. Here is a chart with factory base and widebody wheel measurements for you to work with. Note, if you go with an aftermarket manufacturer kit the dimensions are sometimes different (wider) than stock GM widebody and will require a different wheel offset. Or they won't flush up as nicely. Which would require some measuring etc to determine the correct wheel offset. You could go with a wheel spacer if so desired and possibly save a few dollars if you don't mind doing so.

18" × 8.5"+5688-96 front/rear, 97-13 front exc. C6 Z06, ZR1, Grand Sport, C7 front exc. Z51
18" × 9.5"+4084-87 front/rear, 06-13 Z06 & Grand Sport front
18" × 9.5"+5797-04 rear, 05-13 front
18" × 10.5"+5897-04 rear
19" × 8.5"+56C7 front w/ Z51
19" × 10"+4006-13 C6 Z06, ZR1 & Grand Sport front, 427 Convertible front
19" × 10"+43C7 Z06 or Grand Sport front
19" × 10"+5697-04 rear
19" × 10"+7905-13, C7 exc. Z51 rear
19" × 10.5"+42C7 ZR1 front
19" × 11"+6497-04 rear
19" × 11"+7905-13 rear
19" × 12"+5906-13 C6 Z06 & Grand Sport
20" × 10"+79C7 rear w/ Z51
20" × 12"+5906-13 C6 Z06, ZR1 & Grand Sport rear, 427 Convertible rear, C7 Z06/Grand Sport or ZR1 rear

One thing I have noticed when doing the wide body conversion with factory parts is that you can find fenders and quarters with a bit of looking but it seems harder to get the inner fenders for the front and the inner rear wheel plastics sometimes. I actually had a set of factory Z06 front fenders in mint condition about 8 months ago.

Seems fairly popular to do the conversion, I know of a few guys looking to go that route.

Last edited:
Reactions: RockyPM
My better half didn't see the price but would have the same response!!
Hoping to hear that you get access to stuff like this when travelling to Bowling Green.
At least the importing/shipping may not be a factor.
Corvette after-market supplier availability is what I may really be missing out on by not going.
Next to a Plant Tour, that was the main draw for me to go to Bowling Green this year.

Reactions: ddgermann
Paul...Just tell Joanne you really need a headlight upgrade for safety purposes and there'sonly two ways to do it.... $1500.00 for the Morimotos or $ 90,000.00 for a new C7.... :angelic: She will totally understand... ;)
I like your approach Eric, I didn't think of that!! Safety always trumps cost!! okay so I'm trying it but if she gives me the Look" I'm saying you told me to do it!

Hoping to hear that you get access to stuff like this when travelling to Bowling Green.
At least the importing/shipping may not be a factor.
Corvette after-market supplier availability is what I may really be missing out on by not going.
Next to a Plant Tour, that was the main draw for me to go to Bowling Green this year.

Spence, we are stopping at Mid-America Motorworks and in 2014 they had the shop open and would install most goodies that were purchased! I could get them there and say this is my gift to us dear, Safety at night! The plan is taking shape!

• Clever
Reactions: Jeremiad and YFCvii
If you go with factory body panels you will be able to use any number of Z06 fitment wheels. You could go factory options or with any number of aftermarket suppliers. You would have factory staggered options in 18/19 inch, which are more period correct if off the early Z06 models. The later models of Z's would give you 19/20 options. Also the C7 Z06 wheels will fit as well. There are numerous after market wheels with the same sizing and offset in every style and color you can think of. Here is a chart with factory base and widebody wheel measurements for you to work with. note, if you go with an aftermarket manufacturer kit the dimensions are sometimes different than stock GM widebody and will require a different wheel offset. Which would require some measuring etc to determine the correct wheel offset.

18" × 8.5"+5688-96 front/rear, 97-13 front exc. C6 Z06, ZR1, Grand Sport, C7 front exc. Z51
18" × 9.5"+4084-87 front/rear, 06-13 Z06 & Grand Sport front
18" × 9.5"+5797-04 rear, 05-13 front
18" × 10.5"+5897-04 rear
19" × 8.5"+56C7 front w/ Z51
19" × 10"+4006-13 C6 Z06, ZR1 & Grand Sport front, 427 Convertible front
19" × 10"+43C7 Z06 or Grand Sport front
19" × 10"+5697-04 rear
19" × 10"+7905-13, C7 exc. Z51 rear
19" × 10.5"+42C7 ZR1 front
19" × 11"+6497-04 rear
19" × 11"+7905-13 rear
19" × 12"+5906-13 C6 Z06 & Grand Sport
20" × 10"+79C7 rear w/ Z51
20" × 12"+5906-13 C6 Z06, ZR1 & Grand Sport rear, 427 Convertible rear, C7 Z06/Grand Sport or ZR1 rear

One thing I have noticed when doing the wide body conversion with factory parts is that you can find fenders and quarters with a bit of looking but it seems harder to get the inner fenders for the front and the inner rear wheel plastics sometimes. I actually had a set of factory Z06 front fenders in mint condition about 8 months ago.

Seems fairly popular to do the conversion, I know of a few guys looking to go that route.

Thanks @Movie Muscle, perfect information. I've considered upping diameter to 19/20 as I like the way the tires fill out the fender openings. I think it makes the car look lower to the ground and tighter. @wide'05 did the widebody on his 2005 and it looks great. think it would really add to the body lines of my 05 as well and being a convertible give it the wide-ass look with the slam to the ground!

Thanks @Movie Muscle, perfect information. I've considered upping diameter to 19/20 as I like the way the tires fill out the fender openings. I think it makes the car look lower to the ground and tighter. @wide'05 did the widebody on his 2005 and it looks great. think it would really add to the body lines of my 05 as well and being a convertible give it the wide-ass look with the slam to the ground!

Yes it would look nice for sure. I alsomost bought a 2013 triple black 427 edition vert. That car looked fantastic.

Not sure if you were considering factory parts or after market. Being a vert you can use a factory Z06 or Grand Sport fender up front but the rear quarters off the Z06 will not work. The coupe and vert have different quarter configurations. If factory panels are the plan than you will need to go with a Grandsport vert rear quarter or a 427 edition vert quarter. The 427 vert panel will be pretty tough/almost un-findable. They are rebuilding almost everyone that is damaged due to low numbers. The GS rears will take some searching also. They should be able to be found though.

Last edited:
To Farmstar's original post. Benefits of picking an older C6 and doing a wide body, can be inexpensive to buy, easy to do(rear). Could buy aZ06 or GS but there is still something to be said about doing yourself and being a bit unique. I did only the rear as I felt that is where u get the biggest bang for the buck as well, the front is much more difficult. I had surgery on my left hand and had it all taped up so while home, and not being able to sit for more than about 14 minutes, decided to play modifier. With the help of youtube and being extremely cautious, it took 1.5 hours to do the left rear and 50 minutes to do the right. Again, this was with 1.5 hands. I will absolutely admit that I used factory parts and did not even attempt after market. The fit was perfect with lines and seams as good as factory. Stayed with factory sizing tire and wheel on the front but upped the rear to 19 x 12.5 and 345 michelin. As has been mentioned previously, there are many options when it comes to types of wheels if u want factory sizing but I went with 12.5 wide as I liked the way they filed the well. Also lowered the car as far as could without cutting blocks. I did put on a 14" BBK but as far as street braking did not notice much difference from the Z51 factory. Tracking may be a different animal all together.
Good luck. Have fun.
Garth

To Farmstar's original post. Benefits of picking an older C6 and doing a wide body, can be inexpensive to buy, easy to do(rear). Could buy aZ06 or GS but there is still something to be said about doing yourself and being a bit unique. I did only the rear as I felt that is where u get the biggest bang for the buck as well, the front is much more difficult. I had surgery on my left hand and had it all taped up so while home, and not being able to sit for more than about 14 minutes, decided to play modifier. With the help of youtube and being extremely cautious, it took 1.5 hours to do the left rear and 50 minutes to do the right. Again, this was with 1.5 hands. I will absolutely admit that I used factory parts and did not even attempt after market. The fit was perfect with lines and seams as good as factory. Stayed with factory sizing tire and wheel on the front but upped the rear to 19 x 12.5 and 345 michelin. As has been mentioned previously, there are many options when it comes to types of wheels if u want factory sizing but I went with 12.5 wide as I liked the way they filed the well. Also lowered the car as far as could without cutting blocks. I did put on a 14" BBK but as far as street braking did not notice much difference from the Z51 factory. Tracking may be a different animal all together.
Good luck. Have fun.
Garth
Hey Garth- Do you still have your 05 wide body if so can you send me more pictures, can you tell me your wheel size front and rear. Did you leave the front fenders stock? I just bought a rear only wide body off a wrecked ZO6
Cant wait to get it done

Good morning. Am out of town currently but back next Monday. Will snap a bunch of pics and forward. Will include close ups of clearances and such. Did leave the front stock as that would be the breaking point for me. I would opt for a GS or Z06 before going through installing both rear and front kit. Haven't attempted one but have talked with several that have and wished they hadn't. Front wheels, HRE but stock size. Rear wheel, HRE but 19 X 12.5. Most would say that the extra .5 of and inch is no big deal but when lowered does make a difference. Could have gone with 20's but I am still enough old school that I like the look of tires. Glad I did it. Very happy with outcome.

Good morning. Am out of town currently but back next Monday. Will snap a bunch of pics and forward. Will include close ups of clearances and such. Did leave the front stock as that would be the breaking point for me. I would opt for a GS or Z06 before going through installing both rear and front kit. Haven't attempted one but have talked with several that have and wished they hadn't. Front wheels, HRE but stock size. Rear wheel, HRE but 19 X 12.5. Most would say that the extra .5 of and inch is no big deal but when lowered does make a difference. Could have gone with 20's but I am still enough old school that I like the look of tires. Glad I did it. Very happy with outcome.
Thanks pal appreciate it. I will wait for your pictures. I also have heard from others that have done a full wide body that it got to be a bit pricey especially if you don't do it yourself. Personally
I don't see the point in doing the front as the added cost is not worth it and the only thing that changes is the front fenders side vent is larger and fenders stick out farther, you would have to change the hood
to look like a Z or GS which is a huge expense. I feel the rear wide body only really looks fantabulous. I have my car exactly how I like it with extras I have added so the rear wide body will fill my Love the looks
category without the expense of a ZO6 that does not have the upgrades my Z51 has. I have added bigger brakes, Hooker Black Heart exhaust and the super charger C/W long tube headers has given more power than a Z plus removeable top and a paddle shift auto

Reactions: wide'05