I don't know a whole lot about these newer 427 engines other than that they are packed into a smaller package than the old original L72 427 that I am familiar with and they make a whole lot more power. I'm wondering if the bearings are as wide as the old ones. There is a lot of horsepower that the bottom end has to handle. As for the valve and valve guide problems, I don't see much excuse for problems there. Just curious. Manny?

I don't know a whole lot about these newer 427 engines other than that they are packed into a smaller package than the old original L72 427 that I am familiar with and they make a whole lot more power. I'm wondering if the bearings are as wide as the old ones. There is a lot of horsepower that the bottom end has to handle. As for the valve and valve guide problems, I don't see much excuse for problems there. Just curious. Manny?

Guys no issues with the these engines for power , that is as long as you fix the heads .

We have built a ton of these LS7's with over 600rwhp and have had zero issues to date . We are currently building one that will be making 900rwhp + :canada:

Wouldn't you want reliability when purchasing a vette of this calibur especially if it were your first vette............of course.....you shouldn't have to start doing heads ect. Fine do the work if you want more hp but you shouldn't have to because of what looks to be a flaw. There will always be outfits around who are ready to build you a stronger engine and that is great for the guys willing to pay for it but this issue should of been taken care of way before it hit the market......after all what are we buying here..........a beautiful gleaming C6 and yes it has the LS7...........but..............it will need several thousand dollars motor work before you take it around the block............what! Just my 2 cents!! Maybe I'm missing something??

Wouldn't you want reliability when purchasing a vette of this calibur especially if it were your first vette............of course.....you shouldn't have to start doing heads ect. Fine do the work if you want more hp but you shouldn't have to because of what looks to be a flaw. There will always be outfits around who are ready to build you a stronger engine and that is great for the guys willing to pay for it but this issue should of been taken care of way before it hit the market......after all what are we buying here..........a beautiful gleaming C6 and yes it has the LS7...........but..............it will need several thousand dollars motor work before you take it around the block............what! Just my 2 cents!! Maybe I'm missing something??

Ya my first vette is the C6 Z06, never heard of the head issues till I came on this form. Who knows mine could be fine for its life while I own it or it could fail, I may look into getting this issue repaired this spring here at Davenport in Calgary before the worst happens........

if there is a fix and it can be documented GM should be willing to pay for it under the guise of preventative maintenance, has anyone asked the question? I would like to know because my 1st choice in a C6 would be the 13 GS 427 Convert

Good morning Gentlemen,

And what piece of mind I gained when Manny checked my guides during the build he did on my LS7. There may be a few things that have me waking up at night these days but this, thankfully, is not one of them...............

Cheers,

Garry

This subject is an extremely touchy subject with all Z06/427 owners. From everything I've read, unless your engine is still on warranty when it fails, GM is leaving the owners to dry. I would like to find out if there are any stats on the engines affected, if it's all LS7 heads or a select few heads from one milling machine used in one plant that was incorrect. If this is a random occurrence, then you're more than likely to be safe. However, as far as I know, GM isn't releasing any numbers. Myself, if I owned a C6Z or was in the market for one, a head swap would be in the budget....and maybe a cam.....and headers. :D

With quite a few people, pointing out problems with Corvettes is like finding fault with God. I know if I had a 427 car, I would be getting the top end gone through. On the American Corvette Forums I read about a lot more problems than we see up here. Active handling problems seem to persist even after the GM fixes. Every line of cars has a problem here or there. It's just nice to get the problems resolved before they become a nightmare.

This subject is an extremely touchy subject with all Z06/427 owners. From everything I've read, unless your engine is still on warranty when it fails, GM is leaving the owners to dry. I would like to find out if there are any stats on the engines affected, if it's all LS7 heads or a select few heads from one milling machine used in one plant that was incorrect. If this is a random occurrence, then you're more than likely to be safe. However, as far as I know, GM isn't releasing any numbers. Myself, if I owned a C6Z or was in the market for one, a head swap would be in the budget....and maybe a cam.....and headers. :D

I agree Riley it would be nice to have some concrete data on this issue. Its to bad if GM is leaving owners to dry just because it made it past the warranty period especially when reputable shops are saying to get this work done. So if you do get the heads swapped while its on warranty do you void your GM warranty? Not the kind of questions alot of people want to deal with when purchasing their dream vehicle. Lets remember doesn't matter who the company is, their only as good as the way they handle their customer issues. My 2 cents.......or maybe thats 4 cents now..lol.

From my experience... the arrogance of GM makes them possibly the worst company for standing behind their flawed products and leaving their customers to cope on their own. I have a 2009 Montana with unbelievable stupid design flaws that at times make it unsafe. GM says "that is the way it was designed" even though dealership personnel say they can't believe GM would do it that way!!
David

doesn't matter who the company is, their only as good as the way they handle their customer issues.

Well, I bought this grass seed...........

Just wanking your chain SB. I agree, ALL of the Brands these days are trying to get out of warranty items at whatever cost. Dodge/ Cummins are getting me close to going back to the late 70's or 80's pickups just because of that reason.

$85,000 for a new Longhorn 3500 dually with a smog filter ( That keeps plugging up), or $10,000 for a rebuilt 72 Chevy 4 x 4 that will outlast the new crap????

It's brutal these days. For the automakers (all of them), it's only about the bottom line and profits. That's it! I think that it's pretty sad that you can buy an older car that will outlast a new car WITH warranty.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I was at Race City in Calgary a few years ago before they closed it down and there was a guy that had the same issue a few months prior... problem was that the engine grenaded on the front straightaway and even though the car was under warranty, GM denied coverage of the engine because they said that the car was, get this.... not designed for track use!!!

Agree, every manufacturer has it's issues and that none are exempt.

1) Had VW Jetta TDI - VW told me that it wasn't designed to go "short distances" and declined coverage on the turbo charger
2) Had a Nissan Maxima.. brake pedal would continuously go to the floor under hard braking and the car wouldn't stop as fast as needed. They said that was as good as the system was and if I wanted better, to upgrade the system to aftermarket
3) Had a Chev truck brand spanking new '07... dropped a valve. Took 3 months for the dealership to get the equipment they needed to scan the engine code first

These are all my personal experiences... thousands of class action suits on the 'net..

How would you like to own a GTR only to find that if you used the launch control and grenaded the tranny that they wouldn't cover the $20k replacement? Or turned off the stability control and they voided your warranty?

All that scares me a lot more than the c6/427 issues. It would be nice if some people took the time to educate themselves to protect their investment. Warranty or not... The manufacturers all have a responsibility of course, but doesn't the consumer to some degree?

$20K for a GTR transmission. OUCH!!!! That would give a person a real pain in the wallet. Still, when you are talking 500-800 hp, it takes something pretty sturdy to stand up to the beating. If you want to do some serious racing, you had better use heavy duty race parts.

Wasn't the bulletproof C6 racing motors based on the LS7? I will assume that they used different heads. Those parts would be the ones to get if you are tracking the car, I would think.

From my experience... the arrogance of GM makes them possibly the worst company for standing behind their flawed products and leaving their customers to cope on their own. I have a 2009 Montana with unbelievable stupid design flaws that at times make it unsafe. GM says "that is the way it was designed" even though dealership personnel say they can't believe GM would do it that way!!
David

Add to that the pulley wobble on LS1+. GM says that is normal. Not normal for a Japanese car!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread