Jan 15, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2002 C5 Z06
Province
AB
Price
$500
Can anyone recommend a reputable windshield shop that would carry a c5 Z06 windshield. Does it need to be a thicker glass because of the HUD? Does anyone have a windshield for sale?

Thank you in advance..

Are you in/near Calgary ???

Easy Auto Glass
Bay 1, 10820-27th Street SE
Calgary, AB
403-620-0173

I am a personal friend of the Owners.
High Integrity with High Customer Respect Business
OEM products and no "China-made Windshields"
Never any shenanigans ...
You get what you pay for & more here (free chip repair, etc, etc, etc) ...
I would otherwise not put my name to it.

It is never necessary however feel free
with the choice for mentioning my name (Spence)

I have read posts saying it needs to be HUD rated glass to get sharp projection and I have also read guys have used normal glass and say the HUD works fine. If it were mine, I would insist on the HUD glass just to be sure. JMO

Are you in/near Calgary ???

Easy Auto Glass
Bay 1, 10820-27th Street SE
Calgary, AB
403-620-0173

I am a personal friend of the Owners.
High Integrity with High Customer Respect Business
OEM products and no "China-made Windshields"
Never any shenanigans ...
You get what you pay for & more here (free chip repair, etc, etc, etc) ...
I would otherwise not put my name to it.

It is never necessary however feel free
with the choice for mentioning my name (Spence)
Yes I am in Calgary. I really appreciate the lead and info. I will definitely call them. :Cheers2::Cheers2:

Reactions: YFCvii
Windshields for the C5 are complicated. There are HUD and NON HUD and I agree with Eric above that some people say it does not make a difference with the operation of the Heads Up Display. The Z06 used a different windshield than the standard C5 versions in that the glass was thinner to reduce the weight of the Z06. That windshield is really tough to find, some where I have a contact in Texas that made the glass for the Z's, I will look for it for you.

Good luck with replacing the glass, certainly we would like to know how it all works out. Kudo's to Spence for the recommendation for you.

Reactions: Rescuerob
Did a copy and paste, the information is old but you never know. Worth a try.

"Yes you can still get the right glass .I called in Houston TX this person said she could get it no PROB. $400.00 installed but if need only glass I am sure way cheaper her #is 281-290-7080... 27503 Tomball Parkway Tomball ,TX 77375 .Becky is her name she owns the place ,I can't remember the name of the BIZ.. I talked to her about a month back she said not a big deal.. It's for my 04 Z..AP 4.8 right on the glass...She sais is the right one.."

I have read posts saying it needs to be HUD rated glass to get sharp projection and I have also read guys have used normal glass and say the HUD works fine. If it were mine, I would insist on the HUD glass just to be sure. JMO
I would prefer to get the HUD rated glass myself but will have to see if its available in the city. Thank you for the recomendation.

Windshields for the C5 are complicated. There are HUD and NON HUD and I agree with Eric above that some people say it does not make a difference with the operation of the Heads Up Display. The Z06 used a different windshield than the standard C5 versions in that the glass was thinner to reduce the weight of the Z06. That windshield is really tough to find, some where I have a contact in Texas that made the glass for the Z's, I will look for it for you.

Good luck with replacing the glass, certainly we would like to know how it all works out. Kudo's to Spence for the recommendation for you.
I think it will be a tough find as well.... but if you do get a line on if there are OEM HUD windshields available, please let me know. I will definitely let you know which way I go and what the results are.

Did a copy and paste, the information is old but you never know. Worth a try.

"Yes you can still get the right glass .I called in Houston TX this person said she could get it no PROB. $400.00 installed but if need only glass I am sure way cheaper her #is 281-290-7080... 27503 Tomball Parkway Tomball ,TX 77375 .Becky is her name she owns the place ,I can't remember the name of the BIZ.. I talked to her about a month back she said not a big deal.. It's for my 04 Z..AP 4.8 right on the glass...She sais is the right one.."
Awesome! I will make a call tomorrow!

Sad Update... No luck on finding a non-HUD windshield anywhere in Calgary. I was told that there is a HUD one in SK but the cost (without install, supplies and shipping) will be just a smidge over $1,400. That's a lot of greenbacks

Any other ideas? Does anyone know of a wrecker that may have pulled a non-Hud windshield? AM open to any ideas at this point....short of paying $1400 for the new one. Is it possible to have a crack repaired or filled? I've added a pic of the crack highlighted in red.....

Attachments

• Black Thunder 2edit2windshiled crack.jpg
    Black Thunder 2edit2windshiled crack.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Your photo is very helpful ...
I would not think there will be a band aid fix for that primarily because it involves the driver's field of vision.
My friend (above referral) would be respectfully saying ...
"it is a replacement or a ticket followed by a replacement, whichever comes first".
If these windshields are scarce ... I would grab the one you know of before Spring comes with an
insurance inspection requiring a windshield replacement on someone else's HUD C5.
... just my opinion

Last edited:
Your photo is very helpful ...
I would not think there will be a band aid fix for that primarily because it involves the driver's field of vision.
My friend (above referral) will likely be saying " ... it is a replacement or a ticket followed by a replacement, whichever comes first".
If these windshields are scarce ... I would grab the one you know of before Spring comes with an
insurance inspection requiring a windshield replacement on someone else's HUD C5.
Huge SIGH.... Cheers SN3-waldo

• Sorry
Reactions: YFCvii
Huge SIGH.... Cheers SN3-waldo
Your contribution with your photo will be very helpful for others if/when referring to it and in the same situation.
I share from an experience with a lesser $1k deductible that there was little joy until I got back on the road in my Corvette.

Last edited:
Sad Update... No luck on finding a non-HUD windshield anywhere in Calgary. I was told that there is a HUD one in SK but the cost (without install, supplies and shipping) will be just a smidge over $1,400. That's a lot of greenbacks

Any other ideas? Does anyone know of a wrecker that may have pulled a non-Hud windshield? AM open to any ideas at this point....short of paying $1400 for the new one. Is it possible to have a crack repaired or filled? I've added a pic of the crack highlighted in red.....
That's a crazy price. I caught a rock and replaced my C7 HUD from factory for $967.00 plus install. Have you checked with any other glass shops? I'm assuming GM dealers can't get you one? Try Crystal Glass in Red Deer. They did my install even though I bought the glass from my dealer. Good guys. They may be able to help.

That's a crazy price. I caught a rock and replaced my C7 HUD from factory for $967.00 plus install. Have you checked with any other glass shops? I'm assuming GM dealers can't get you one? Try Crystal Glass in Red Deer. They did my install even though I bought the glass from my dealer. Good guys. They may be able to help.
I have been told that GM no longer stocks the OEM glass for the C5's. I tried another local glass store here in Calgary and thought I won the jackpot with an aftermarket windshield out of Edmonton for just over $500, then got a call that they need to order the padded gasket thingy that the windshield sits on, and that GM charges $880 for that part alone.... GULP

Last edited:
I have been told that GM no longer stocks the OEM glass for the C5's. I tried another local glass store here in Calgary and thought I won the jackpot with an aftermarket windshield out of Edmonton for just over $500, then got a call that they need to order the padded gasket thingy that the windshield sits on, and that GM charges $880 for that part alone.... GULP
Wow.... Not sure what that even is... But sounds a bit suspicious.... Try Crystal glass in Red Deer... Talk to Dave...

Still luck on a windshield... Surely someone somewhere must have some ideas? SIGH..

Status
Not open for further replies.