Casual User
Mar 5, 2019
St. George
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2000
Province
ON
Hi everyone. Newbie here. Been reading lots of the great info and threads. Need some advice please.

Background Info:
Bought a one owner C5 in Jan. 3 of us took it for a test drive. 1 of us is a long vette owner. It was great. Salesman drove it 60 km to my mechanic to get it checked out. He was impressed. Very clean. Wife noticed the back of the tranny/diff was painted a grey primer colour and had #s on it. Bought it with a 90 day warranty to start in May. Brought it home on a dry Jan day. 2 weeks later I backed it 3 feet out of my non-heated garage to get some rubber mats under the tires. It ran for about 5 minutes.

Here’s the problem.
When I pulled it back in, I noticed a baseball sized puddle of really clean, red tranny fluid. Never noticed any other leaks before or after.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice?

.....you need to get it up on the hoist and it will show where it dripped from. The primered section sounds like some work was done there , could be a bad seal or lose bolts. It leaked when running so could be the pressure line. Anyways you have some warranty there so let the dealer know now that it needs to be looked at.

Last edited:
I have not had any leaks so far on my car (knock on wood). I can only echo X’s advise to let the business you purchased your car from deal with it and if you want, get it up on a lift to have a look. Sometimes gaskets can dry out and then re-seal as the car gets used, but I think that’s more on old iron than the new stuff.

.....you need to get it up on the hoist and it will show where it dripped from. The primered section sounds like some work was done there , could be a bad seal or lose bolts. It leaked when running so could be the pressure line. Anyways you have some warranty there so let the dealer know now that it needs to be looked at.
Thanks so much guys. Yes I'm feeling pretty ok about it since I have that warranty. Plus they seem pretty easy to deal with.

I never had a leak until I had the differential serviced. After taking the car out the following day I noticed a small puddle, luckily the drain plug was not tightened all the way. Tightened it up & it's been fine ever since.Hopefully for you it's just as easy to fix, but if not at least it's still under warranty, good luck.

Wow that would be great if it was that easy.
I heard the tranny/diff have some type of overflow valve, and that based on the pressure inside sometimes fluid will be released through this valve. Not 100% sure about this though.

I never had a leak until I had the differential serviced. After taking the car out the following day I noticed a small puddle, luckily the drain plug was not tightened all the way. Tightened it up & it's been fine ever since.Hopefully for you it's just as easy to fix, but if not at least it's still under warranty, good luck.
Trust you informed the garage about the lack of attention to the plug.
Had the same thig with an engine drain plug once.
Lsoing the car for several days, or weeks, because of someone's lack of attention is not a pleasant experience.

Trust you informed the garage about the lack of attention to the plug.
Had the same thig with an engine drain plug once.
Loing the car for several days, or weeks, because of someone's lack of attention is not a pleasant experience.

I did in fact but, they would not admit it.Luckily I live near 2 Chevy Dealerships, so now I go to the other one.

Easy. Torque spec is 20ft/lbs only

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.