Hunter

Casual User
Sep 23, 2018
Ellijay Georgia
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 1999 coupe
I went to turn my car on and it runs great for about 1-2 seconds then it immediately kills itself and shuts the engine down. I have no engine codes, no security issues, battery is at 100% and no steering column lock.

You may get a much better response by introducing yourself and your car over in the new members section with an intro post.
Lots of happy and helpful C5 cats on here to get to know.

Derek

I went to turn my car on and it runs great for about 1-2 seconds then it immediately kills itself and shuts the engine down. I have no engine codes, no security issues, battery is at 100% and no steering column lock.

ddgerm is correct Valarian. An intro will work wonders. Then you can give us a few more details on your car and your problem..

Could be a number of things from battery short, bad bcm or ECM, fuel pressure, ignition switch failure, vats malfunction.

Reactions: YFCvii
Sorry about not introducing myself. Not familiar with this site just yet.

Update: I went and got a new battery - didn’t work
I checked the bcm and ecm and they are fine
My ignition switch is working fine and if I remember correctly cats are the security system which I believe I’m not having trouble with since there are no lights up.

Some backstory before this goes any further: About two months ago my slave cylinder went out and I had a minor ticking in the engine due to the previous owner of my c5 not keeping up with her. So I broke the car down and replaced push rods, lifters, clutch/flywheel, new swaybar links and bushings, a lowering kit, and I cleaned the pistons because the amount of buildup was horrid. I have everything back together now and whenever I go start it the car will run for 2 seconds and then it kills itself like something is shutting it off. I’m absolutely stumped on this and I’m not sure where to go from here.

Hmm 🤔 interesting; and for you I’m sure a frustrating problem. This is a new one for me.
The timing would indicate it’s somehow related to having the car apart. Could be as simple as a broken wire that separates as soon as the car is running. If you have no codes and the ECM checks out it pretty much has to be wiring or out of fuel ⛽️.... are the pumps all working right and delivering pressure?

Hope you find the culprit.

And we still want pics. 😀

Agree with Derek that something, probably simple, got missed putting it all back together. Maybe get lots of light and another critical pair of eyes on the motor to see if they see anything amiss. Mentioned light but wonder if you can have someone else start the motor in complete darkness while you watch. Never know what you might see or hear in those couple of seconds.

Good luck and let us know what you find. You will sort it out.

Last edited:
Sorry about not introducing myself. Not familiar with this site just yet.

Update: I went and got a new battery - didn’t work
I checked the bcm and ecm and they are fine
My ignition switch is working fine and if I remember correctly cats are the security system which I believe I’m not having trouble with since there are no lights up.

Some backstory before this goes any further: About two months ago my slave cylinder went out and I had a minor ticking in the engine due to the previous owner of my c5 not keeping up with her. So I broke the car down and replaced push rods, lifters, clutch/flywheel, new swaybar links and bushings, a lowering kit, and I cleaned the pistons because the amount of buildup was horrid. I have everything back together now and whenever I go start it the car will run for 2 seconds and then it kills itself like something is shutting it off. I’m absolutely stumped on this and I’m not sure where to go from here.

Oof, could still be anything. Have you checked everything is plugged in (alternator signal for example)? Check Volts when she runs. Anything glitchy with electronics (flickering etc), indicative of a bad ground (check all grounds including ignition ground)? Most ECM issues I've seen don't throw lights but that is definitely a long shot. Does it run rough for those few seconds of run time? Check fuel pressure as it's easy enough (again bit of a long shot as most times she won't start with low pressure but can happen).

I would definitely try to get a second pair of eyes on it and go through a checklist before you start swapping parts blindly.

Ok.... Here's a long shot: Is your fuel cap on properly; and by chance does your Vette have a remote start installation? And I would put a code reader on it (if you haven't already). Just because it's not throwing idiot lights, it may still come up with a code.... like I said...Long shots...

Ok.... Here's a long shot: Is your fuel cap on properly; and by chance does your Vette have a remote start installation? And I would put a code reader on it (if you haven't already). Just because it's not throwing idiot lights, it may still come up with a code.... like I said...Long shots...

Not throwing any codes and I already checked the gas cap. At this point I wish it would throw idiot lights up lol.

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
Many possibilities. Are you sure you have a good fuel pressure and good fuel? crank or cam sensors could be deffective. Make sure ALL fuses and fuse link are ok. I have seen battery leak and the pcm is under, disconnect the battery and remove the connectors from the pcm and check for corrosion. All grounds have to be perfect on a corvette. This would be from where I would start.

Good luck and keep posting the result.

Not throwing any codes and I already checked the gas cap. At this point I wish it would throw idiot lights up lol.
so I'm assuming it doesn't have a remote start function? Reason I asked is i haveremote starts in most all my vehicles and I have had my Toyota SUV brain fart and start for 2 seconds and stall.... repeatedly...no idiot lights..... checked fuel cap, water in the fuel, etc. etc. etc.... .. Turns out it was the hood closure switch part of the remote. Exercised it a few times and voila`...took right off. It would do that every couple years....

• Informative
Our 2003 suburban did the exact same thing to us last fall ( I only mention this as it’s the same vintage). It would fire up then die. No codes that I could tell. I could repeatedly fire it up, and it would die. Turned out it was the vehicle security system. I towed it to my buddies shop. He wouldn’t tell me what they did but I believe it was a simple trick of moving the windows and hitting the lock/unlock button in a sequence or something like that to reset it and then he could make it seem like I got a smoking deal by him only charging me a round of coffees for his crew. :D
Anyway, that is one thing I would definitely check.

Your problem sounds like it could be a TPS problem..

I checked that but if it was the problem I should be able to get some kind of an idle out of it right? Right now without fail every time I start it( I’ve done this many times) it’s runs for two seconds then slowly dies off. I’m guess the fuel pressure is the problem so I’m waiting on my fuel pressure gauge to come in

It is a security problem. Make sure to only use key and fob when putting into ignition that there isn’t a lot of weight pulling down on key when in ignition. It solved the problem for me hope it does you as well. Moe.

too new for my " know how " , but does it have a oil pressure switch that needs to sense pressure for it to run ? if it fires up but the pressure is slow to read it will shut off the motor, that is what the GM 6.2 diesels used to do. My GMC 2001 5.3 gas cold start always does that, fires instantly but shuts off, hit the key again and it stays running 2nd try, almost like no fuel. I put a new pump in the tank but no difference. It seems if first try just open the key for 5 seconds ( let the fuel pump up pressure ) and then try start it fires and runs sometimes but not every time. Engine warm starts and runs every time. No codes, crazy electronics belong in a pinball machine not under the hood !!!

I had a similar problem with a 98 GTP. Engine would start and almost immediately stall. Fuel pump was starting but was not continuing to run after start.
I had it towed in and it cost like a grand to get it fixed. Not an easy fix, thinking it’s a computer issue. Good luck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.