Fire22

2 You're 10
Feb 6, 2009
Near Winnipeg
VetteCoins
Car
2001 coupe
Early in January I changed the clutch hydraulic fluid in my C5 because it was dark in color. I used GM hydraulic clutch fluid and basically flushed the system using the whole 350 ml container of fluid. I offered to change the clutch fluid in my friends C6 that is spending the winter in my shop and he took me up on it, here are some pictures.

First here is everything that you need, Dot 3 brake fluid (or GM Dot 3 hydraulic clutch fluid), a 60 ml syringe, some paper towels and a container to put the used fluid in.

Edit April 18 - For C6's use DOT 4 (GM p/n 88901244)

IMG_4849.jpg

Make sure you do not get any fluid on painted surfaces (including my painted floor), place towels under your path.

IMG_4850.jpg

IMG_4852.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the write-up and pictures. Looks like you are a very organized and meticulous mechanic. :coolgleam:
I'm curious about the fluid in the line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder... at any time did you crack open the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder and purge the old fluid from that line? You don't mention doing that in your write-up but you do mention pumping the clutch pedal 30 times. Was that to get the new fluid to displace the old? :confused:

Thanks for posting the write-up and pictures. Looks like you are a very organized and meticulous mechanic. :coolgleam:
I'm curious about the fluid in the line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder... at any time did you crack open the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder and purge the old fluid from that line? You don't mention doing that in your write-up but you do mention pumping the clutch pedal 30 times. Was that to get the new fluid to displace the old? :confused:

I researched different forums and found this method to be fairly effective, I think its referred to as the Turkey baster method. I didn't bleed the slave, pumping the pedal moves fluid through the system and mixes the old with the new, that's why you have to repeat the process a number of times until the fluid in the reservoir is fairly clear after pumping the pedal. The first few times the fluid in the reservoir is still dirty, it gradually clears up as you replace most of the old fluid with new fluid. In some cases two bottles of fluid may be required depending on how dirty to old stuff is. :D

Just returned from the dealer and he said all C6 clutches are dot4 and brake fluid is dot3.
all dot 4 is synthetic...........now if could only find one of those syringes,anyone know where to buy one.

I got my syringe at Princess Auto, it was $2 it is called a two stroke oil mixer syringe but it is exactly the same as the one Fire 22 shows in his pics.

By the way fire22 great post again man i love these not only are they good but they are intersting to read keep them coming.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread