Oh wow! That's a nice score!

I think I used up all of my luck for such things in one deal I got when I was just seventeen. I pulled into a gas station to fuel up, and a woman pulled up on the other side of the pumps with a motorcycle on a trailer behind her car. I was just so impressed to see a woman with a motorcycle that I had to comment, and say "nice bike!" She looked at me with the saddest face and her lip quivered when she asked, "Do you want it?" I had to tell her that I surely couldn't afford it. It was a 1985 Honda Shadow 500, and it was 1989 so the bike was only four years old.

She told me that her son had an accident while riding a friend's "crotch rocket" and had been killed, and this Shadow was his bike. She wanted it gone, because bikes are dangerous, and it was just a reminder that her son was gone.

"That bike is worth more than I can afford, ma'am," I told her.

"How much do you have?" she inquired with raised eyebrows.

"I have about $700, ma'am," I said.

"Go get it," she said, "And don't you dare kill yourself on this stupid thing."

I did, and the bike was mine. I had to hide it at a friend's house a few doors down from my house so that my mother wouldn't know about it or she would be very upset. I was thrilled, and bragged to all my friends about it. I rode it all summer with my buddies, and had the time of my life. Then life changed, and I suddenly found myself needing to move to Alberta with my family, and I couldn't let them know that I had the bike, so I had to let it go. I regretted bragging to all my friends, because they all knew how much I paid for it, so I wound up selling it to a buddy for $750. He owned it for two weeks and hit a deer with it.

Sigh. The good old days.

Awesome Fortune ...

I put a quarter into the slot on my first trip to Las Vegas in 1999 … it was a great trip
that I went there with my Uncle. Sorry not really a Car Story other than I went to Vegas
to attend a fully catered Busch Series Race and a Winston Cup Race on the following Day.
It was an awesome three days. I stayed at the iconic Flamingo Hotel. I met Jeff Gordon's
Crew Chief, Ray E, in the Business Lounge … I had to use the fax machine to send some
House Design Sketches that I did to pass the time during the Airplane travel …. Ray and I
chatted for what felt like 1/2 hour about anything other than our Jobs. It was Pretty Cool ...
now where was I … Oh yes, the quarter thing … I dropped it in the slot and I got a Newspaper.

true story :joyful:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread