Blue ss

2 You're 10
Mar 4, 2010
St-Jean-Sur-Richelieu
VetteCoins
Car
Not yet a owner
Hi everyone,

Sorry for my english... I'm a french speaker.

Last summer I did not find "the one" so I'm restarting the processs and still looking for a used vette.

Two opportunities:

A red 1991 Zr-1, 55 000 km, with some upgrades (25 k $):

RC injectors (high performance), Chip ECM Haibeck, K&N air filter
Greg VanDevender porting, Headers Stainless Steel Work with X-pipe and Borla exhaust, light Flywheel, short stroke Hurst shifter, Dana 44 with 4.10 ratio, Suspension upgrades, stainless steel brakes lines...​

A red 2003 Z06, 93 000 km, bone stock (29 k $)

In which direction would you head for?

Waiting for your comments

Thanks

How do you plan on using your car? How much driving are you going to do?

The Z06 would be a better choice if you are going to take long trips or use it a lot as you benefit from a new, quieter chassis, more capable handling, better fuel economy, and parts are easier to find if something breaks. It is also 12 years newer than the ZR-1.

The ZR-1 would be a better choice if you are not going to put a lot of miles on it. It is an extremely nice car and is very rare, so it will hold it's value unlike the Z06.

If I were just looking for a second car, I think I would take the ZR-1 as it is rare and more unique than the Z06. I don't race my cars so I am not concerned with which one is faster or anything like that.

How do you plan on using your car? How much driving are you going to do?

The Z06 would be a better choice if you are going to take long trips or use it a lot as you benefit from a new, quieter chassis, more capable handling, better fuel economy, and parts are easier to find if something breaks. It is also 12 years newer than the ZR-1.

The ZR-1 would be a better choice if you are not going to put a lot of miles on it. It is an extremely nice car and is very rare, so it will hold it's value unlike the Z06.

If I were just looking for a second car, I think I would take the ZR-1 as it is rare and more unique than the Z06. I don't race my cars so I am not concerned with which one is faster or anything like that.

Thanks alot for the feedback

Will not race it either and will use it during weekend / short trips (2 - 3 hours)

I am concern with parts availabilities... how bad is it?

zr-1 owner : please send your comments...

seeing as you're asking..

First I have to say that I love C4 corvettes and the ZR-1 is the ultimate C4.

Second for myself I would go with the C5 z06, not becuase I own one but because I can tell you how easy the car is to own. GM built a great car with the C5 and the Z06 was the ultimate C5. The refinement and the reliability were big steps forward for them.

Lastly.... I'm not sure what others will say but $29 for that z06 with that mileage seems on the high side. We had a member here that was selling a car with HALF the mileage and $6 thousand LESS than that earlier this winter... HECK he might still have it!!

Let us know what you do. In end they're both excellent cars in their own right.

seeing as you're asking..

First I have to say that I love C4 corvettes and the ZR-1 is the ultimate C4.

Second for myself I would go with the C5 z06, not becuase I own one but because I can tell you how easy the car is to own. GM built a great car with the C5 and the Z06 was the ultimate C5. The refinement and the reliability were big steps forward for them.

Lastly.... I'm not sure what others will say but $29 for that z06 with that mileage seems on the high side. We had a member here that was selling a car with HALF the mileage and $6 thousand LESS than that earlier this winter... HECK he might still have it!!

Let us know what you do. In end they're both excellent cars in their own right.

:agree: you said it man , the C5 is by far the best value for the dollar out there .

OK, having owned both cars simultaneously let me offer up my advice.

The ZR-1 is an amazing car. The mods to the car are done by the right people but you need paperwork to back it up. Were all 16 injectors replaced or just the primaries or secondaries? Haibeck is the king for having it chipped. Marc H really knows his stuff. The problem is that ZR-1's like to be driven and driven hard. My old ZR-1 ran best everytime I came home from the track. The issue is 2 fold with this car now however. Finding someone smart enough to actually work on these cars and secondly finding parts. I'll come back to this one later ..lets move on to the Z06

As for the C5 Z06...whats to say other than un freaking believable. The car begs to be beaten and just keeps going with incredible ease and is so economical that it gets better mileage than many so called economy cars. Any GM store can work on it or get parts for it. HANDS down this is the car to own if you intend to drive it. The $29K price for the mileage seems steep to me however so keep looking. Many deals yet to be had.

The ZR-1 is more for show and makes a great conversation piece unless you have the time to dedicate to the car to maintain it. Ensuring you can find the right products ie ethylene glycol antifreeze so you don't eat head gaskets etc. Plenum gaskets if you need to service vacum lines, injectors etc. White Racing is virtually one of the few sources of parts available in Florida and you pay for this service dearly. I suggest you park your seat in a Z06 and let the car impress you. I sold my ZR-1 because I realized after I bought my Z06 I would never use my ZR-1 again. Its not to say the ZR-1 isn't a great car, its just that the Z06 is a great car and more with less cost and hassle. I miss my ZR-1, I miss my C5Z, as both killer cars. Good luck regardless of your decision.

All I have to say - how great a feeling it must be to in the situation to have to make this descision!

I've not driven either of them so I can't comment on that but I will say that I'm a C4 owner right now and I love the C4's dearly... but... I think it'd also have to be the C5Z for me also.

Might be a little late.

I hope that comment was about me.

I talked to a local vette shop. ZR1 engine rebuild. Price one. 10k. Mercury machine assembled. Yuk, and wow all at the same time. Amazing engines. Consider it took GM almost 10-12 years to make an engine close to it. But there is such a little difference, when your wallet is lighter if anything goes wrong, you will cry. A c5, while pedestrian in comparison to a c4 zr1, is also quite cheap to maintain, comparatively, and can be driven anyday, anytime, and asks for more. Very versatile. No offense to C4 zr1's, its like a ferrari, I would like to own one, but a 10k tune up, is not my idea of fun, I can't afford to pay to play (edit: the zr1 is not like that, but I was exaggerating on the C4 to make a point).

I have a 46k km red c5z06. $26K Shipped to Montreal. Maintained at Davenport and Western corvette. Interested?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread