Nov 4, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
Still shopping
Province
MB
Hello again,
Inspired by this video (Drive for the C4?) and a lack of local C4s I started looking to the south and tripped over this dealer (Beresford - C4) and wondered if anyone had any experiences, comments, etc. This C4 may not be the one but it is close. Thoughts appreciated.

Regards,
Alun
Winnipeg

Thanks for the tip. I search Kijiji, AutoTrader and AutoTempest but do not find that many out east when I filter for manual trans, convertible and not red. I bought an old Moto Guzzi out of Mississauga years ago and that was a long road trip! Many of the central states are closer, but I have not purchased south of the border before.

Any other sites than those I mentioned? Thanks.

Thanks for the tip. I search Kijiji, AutoTrader and AutoTempest but do not find that many out east when I filter for manual trans, convertible and not red. I bought an old Moto Guzzi out of Mississauga years ago and that was a long road trip! Many of the central states are closer, but I have not purchased south of the border before.

I found a few on autotrader but I’m not sure exactly what it is you are looking for. A neighbour of mine is selling a blue manual 1990 convertible but as I said I don’t know exactly what you would want to purchase.

I found a few on autotrader but I’m not sure exactly what it is you are looking for. A neighbour of mine is selling a blue manual 1990 convertible but as I said I don’t know exactly what you would want to purchase.
I noticed the Campbellville awhile back, but found it odd. So little detail, poor pics, so I moved on. Wish list is a manual, convertible, not red, ~10k all in, mechanically sound, mileage reasonable i.e. ~120-150k, cosmetically acceptable, original as possible. ZF trans, LT1 preferred ... but wish list may not match the budget, so movement could be required, i.e. L98, 4+3, etc. My last summer car was ‘too nice’ so I stressed driving/parking it and want to just enjoy the C4. I am in no rush and enjoy the research. Anyway thanks for the comments.

Regards,
Alun

I noticed the Campbellville awhile back, but found it odd. So little detail, poor pics, so I moved on. Wish list is a manual, convertible, not red, ~10k all in, mechanically sound, mileage reasonable i.e. ~120-150k, cosmetically acceptable, original as possible. ZF trans, LT1 preferred ... but wish list may not match the budget, so movement could be required, i.e. L98, 4+3, etc. My last summer car was ‘too nice’ so I stressed driving/parking it and want to just enjoy the C4. I am in no rush and enjoy the research. Anyway thanks for the comments.

Regards,
Alun

Apologies, it occurred to me I should have posted this in the C4 forum, not ‘Off Topic’. Still new to the site.

Not sure I am helping or hindering you but moved your thread to "General Corvette Discussion" with the thought that it will get more exposure here than the C4 thread. Hopefully a better place for it than "Off Topic".

Good luck with your search. :thumbs:

I’ve “imported” a couple cars from the states. Experiences vary from easy to major PITA.

The problem is: theres almost no rhyme or reason to whether or not if it’s going to be easy or a pita.

You get one border guard with a burr up his butt that day and you’re trailering home a frame and boxes of parts. Or, they’re just in a grouchy mood and take thier sweet ol’ time getting the paperwork done.

But I’ve also had times I hand them my pre-done paperwork and they essentially just wave me through. Got a “car guy” once and after he climbed all over it and I let him fire it up, he gladly waved me through with the most minimal hassle I’ve ever had to do at the border with a car on the trailer.

If you do decide to buy down south, get your paperwork done before you show up at the border. You’ll still get “interrogated” by border patrol, but considerably less so. Consider finding a port of entry thats fairly remote. Those guys usually just wave you through if you have your import paperwork and you don’t look like trouble (ie: greasy, dirty, slimeball looking types usually get profiled and cavity searched, lol!).

Keep in mind the prices are in USD, so figure 75 cents on the dollar (if the rates are good that day). Then, being a “new” vehicle to Canada, you will have to prove compliance with our regs. That parts not so hard, since the states are almost the same as ours and it’s part of the “import” paperwork.

You’re also going to have lots to pay to cross the border. You’re going to get hit with duties and then sales tax. It’s been a while, so I can’t remeber if there’s other fees to go with that.

Then, you will likely get taxed again when you try to register it in your province, although there are ways to get the border taxes back if you pay provincial. IIRC, you get dinged GST at the border, then you get dinged gst and provincial (or hst if thats your prov). Since you have been “double taxed”, you can get one of them back. But it’s still a pita. Getting money back from the Canadian gov’t is never easy.

The car itself looks nice, from what limited info I can get from the ad.

Mileage seems a little high for what it is. That 97,000 miles is 156,000 kms. Not obscenely high, but not exactly low for a Corvette. Keep in mind, most of these cars spend thier lives trying to dent the concrete in someones garage...

My 88, for example, was 9 grand CAD and has (I might be off a bit in memory here) 75,000 kms. That 89 will work out to approx 9200 canadian dollars and thats before taxes, duties, import fees, etc. same purchase price as my 88 and twice the mileage. So it seems a little “pricy” to me. Decent price if you live in the US, not so much if you have to import it.

My 88 is also a triple black L98 convertible. Only difference is 89 vs 88 and mine is auto instead of manual...

Last edited:
Thanks very much Tourmax! I really appreciate all the information. As I put together the spreadsheet the Beresford - C4 looked less and less appealing when all the costs get factored in. You reminded me of some that I was likely ignoring, as the prospect of 6spd black on black C4 had me distracted! Back to the Cdn websites.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.