Jan 11, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
VetteCoins
Car
1987 Z51
I replaced the solenoid and pressure switch in the 4+3 transmission this weekend and am posting some pictures in case anyone else ever needs to do this. I started with removing the oil pan on the auto tranny and taking off the oil filter.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Next I removed the valve body from the transmission, which the solenoid and pressure switch are attached to. There is a check ball that you don't want to lose, so just bring the valve body straight down when you get the bolts out and you'll be fine. You'll also want to unplug the tan wire from the pressure switch.

34.jpg

When removing the solenoid, you have to clamp down the two round cylinders at either end of the solenoid, near where the screws that hold the solenoid on are. They can be seen in the picture above. They are spring loaded and you don't want them popping off. I used two C-clamps while switching the solenoid out.

7.jpg

The pressure switch is as easy as unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new one.

8.jpg

When that is finished, simply reattach the valve body, replace the oil filter, put the pan on, and fill with oil. Presto!

Make sure you have a Factory Service Manual when doing this procedure as it goes into more detail than I have. All in all it was a pretty painless process.

Thanks for posting. You brought back memories....I bought a shifter kit for my little Jimmy. An '84. Got under the car, properly supported of course. I was there for a long time. You know that check ball? Took a long time to find after I lost it. Other stories too...
Appreciate the skill you have.
However, the time I spent under the tranny of my Jimmy was the worst time I ever spent under a car.
I've been suppressing those memories for a long time. :)