AM0608

I'm New Here
Feb 18, 2012
Welland, ON
VetteCoins
Car
none yet
I am looking at buying a corvette within the next month or so. With my budget I have found some 75-82 C3's and some 86-90 C4's. I'm not sure what one I would like more and was looking for some advice I have found a 86 convertible That I like and my Wife has always liked late C3's. The car will be used as a nice day cruised 2-3 times a week and maybe used at the track she would like good handling I want performance I have no problem modding it lol. It must be auto cause she cant drive stick. I guess what I am getting to is what do you think would be a better car and what are the pros and cons of each? Thanks

First welcome to the forum....

That's a tough question, as all Corvettes have things about them we love/hate.
The 75 to 82 were a bit of a dog as far as power goes. That was when all the manufactures were finding out about emission control and fuel economy.....compared to todays cars they have come a long way. Still though, they will give you what many may consider the best looking body style.....not my opinion but many...I like the 63-67 cars, but that is another subject.

The early C4 you mention may have had a little better power, but still the L98 is a far cry from fast. They did of course have the handling. These were the cars that brought the Corvette out of the point it and go fast stage, now a true sports car. They also have a lot more electronics on them. Some like the star-wars dash like myself, but they can be a bit of a headache at times.....as all corvettes. The C4 is a lot of fun.....and an auto in the early ones is normal. The Doug-Nash 4+3 trany of the area was not well thought of so most cars were ordered with auto.

The bottom line here is this........... buy the best possible car you can. Don't fall in love with the first thing you see. Give it a good going over..ask lots of questions and if possible, get someone that knows these cars to look at it also. There is some good deals when you look around, but not all is a good as the seller would have you believe. Make sure to get it up on a lift to have a look at the under side.............

Just for your info....I own an early C4 that just turned 50,000 kilometers. and I love this car...........but if I had found a C3 in as good of shape as this one I would probably be driving it.

I am looking at buying a corvette within the next month or so. With my budget I have found some 75-82 C3's and some 86-90 C4's. I'm not sure what one I would like more and was looking for some advice I have found a 86 convertible That I like and my Wife has always liked late C3's. The car will be used as a nice day cruised 2-3 times a week and maybe used at the track she would like good handling I want performance I have no problem modding it lol. It must be auto cause she cant drive stick. I guess what I am getting to is what do you think would be a better car and what are the pros and cons of each? Thanks

If you find a vette you like I woould be happy to look it over and provide you with a report .

Both the C3's & C4's are very cool cars.
The C4's have more power, better handling and far better gas mileage.
To some the C3's are the best Vette ever made, to others they were low HP poor handling dog.
Some say the C4's were the red headed step child. others love them including me.
Test drive them both, see which one you like best.

What's your budget?
Buy the best condition, newest Vette you can afford.
Remember you are at the peak of the selling season as far as price goes. As they say when the top goes down, the price goes up.

If you find one you like post up the details, I'm sure everyone here will try and guide you in the right direction.
Take Manny up on his suggestion.
Cruise all of the other Corvette web sites. And don't be afraid to head south of the border to find the right car.
The US econemy is still hurting and they have 10 times the invetory.= some good deals.

As Brian mentioned. "TAKE YOUR TIME" the right Vette will find you.

Good luck.:canada:

Last edited:
Nothing to say that hasn't been said already. As far as an investment goes--which is BS anyways--I honestly think a ragtop C3 would be the best bet. They were fairly rare that way, and they still look awesome. In coupe form, I prefer the C4.

If you're mechanically inclined, the C3 is a lot less complex--Manny may want to confirm, as this is just a feeling. It looks like the electric system, fuel-injection, etc made C4s significantly different from C3s.

The good thing is that you can pick either up for a great price these days--neither are too rare--yet.

good luck!

You mention tracking the car. Not sure of exactly your intentions but
beware that in some situations a convertable will NOT be allowed to race.
[ unless you install a rollbar etc]

As others have said, take your time. Prices will normally decrease beginning
september.

Tony, welland. [ too !]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.