72ray

72ray
Casual User
Aug 7, 2018
Sydney Australia
VetteCoins
Car
1972 coupe 350 TH400
Apologies if this is a well worn subject (I couldn’t find much when searching here for C3s).
Any ideas would be appreciated re resolving my floppy wing/door mirrors. They have loose mirror heads and they flop if I hit a bumpy section of road or get bumped when I wash it or remove the car cover. Groan 😤

Hello mr72ray..
You could replace the whole assembly if you wish.
But if it is just a floppy mirror head I used crazy glue.
A few applications will build-up the size of the ball and things will be much better.
One little hint...when you apply a couple of drops of glue make sure you tie an old rag around the mirror stem and hanging down the door to catch any drops..
Don’t ask me how I know this!!,

Good luck
Graham

i would change and put a new mirror, glue is good until you need adjust it , then glue will crack and you will get a floppy mirror again

I used a small chunk of rubber about 1/8" thick. If you look there is a small gap under the face where the top meets the arm. I wedged the rubber in with a flathead screwdriver. the mirror stopped rattling and the rubber is invisible and stays put.

Reactions: 72ray
Update: I removed the mirror unit from the door and managed to carefully pry the mirror itself out of the chrome holder. This revealed the inside section of the ball pivot you see from the outside. I removed the grease from the area and where the OEM had peaned over material to secure the steel plate (that holds the ball joint in position) I peaned it again to increase the tension of the plate on the ball joint. This worked a treat! I’ll post some photos on here as that may make more sense before I re-secure the mirror with sealant. SUCCESS! Cost = zero $ & I get to keep my OEM mirrors 👍

Update: I removed the mirror unit from the door and managed to carefully pry the mirror itself out of the chrome holder. This revealed the inside section of the ball pivot you see from the outside. I removed the grease from the area and where the OEM had peaned over material to secure the steel plate (that holds the ball joint in position) I peaned it again to increase the tension of the plate on the ball joint. This worked a treat! I’ll post some photos on here as that may make more sense before I re-secure the mirror with sealant. SUCCESS! Cost = zero $ & I get to keep my OEM mirrors 👍

Great job 72ray, glad to hear you fixed it. There is a procedure I found years back thru the NCRS group. This involves soaking the mirror portion in a solvent for 24 hours to soften the mirror adhesive, and then peening as you have mentioned. It's awesome when you can restore the original parts. 👍👍

Great job 72ray, glad to hear you fixed it. There is a procedure I found years back thru the NCRS group. This involves soaking the mirror portion in a solvent for 24 hours to soften the mirror adhesive, and then peening as you have mentioned. It's awesome when you can restore the original parts. 👍👍
Which solvent is recommended?

My success was temporary so I replaced the mirrors this week. They're sweet but I managed to snap off one rusty screw in the anchor thread in the left door and now will at sometime have to replace it. Is it easy to get at these inside the door?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread