You're 5
Nov 4, 2018
Boston
VetteCoins
Car
2004 Z06
Province
USA
I'm planning to buy a 69-72 C3 in the very near future, but I don't have much experience as to the problem areas.I could sure use some advice as to where the frame tends to rot, and any other areas to inspect when I find a potential car to buy.Any information would be greatly appreciated, Ron...🙏

Look on the frame in front of the rear wheels that's probably the worst place. If there are holes there I'd move on as it's most likley also in places you can't see.
You can look at the frame around the windshield as well.
There is a plate inside the rear wheel well that can be removed to see the body mount bolt as well as behind kick panels in the front driver/passenger foot wells. You don't want to see any rust in there.

I'm planning to buy a 69-72 C3 in the very near future, but I don't have much experience as to the problem areas.I could sure use some advice as to where the frame tends to rot, and any other areas to inspect when I find a potential car to buy.Any information would be greatly appreciated, Ron...🙏

Don if you look on the “other” forum there are some excellent threads on inspections for buying a C3. Really detailed with pictures The above advice from @pd64 is bang on as well. Here in CCF there are some threads on this as well. Guys like @turbozig @SlyMart and a bunch of others have every nut and bolt experience restoring them as well, so they also know the trouble spots to look for.

Good luck in your search. I love these era C3s with the chrome bumpers.

• Informative
Reactions: Hotrodron
Definitely take an experienced body man with you. The car can look fine to the inexperienced eye, yet the windshield pillars can be rotted out. There is steel reinforcing the fiberglass. Frames can be a real problem too if the car has had many winters on it. Unlike today, the steel used didn't have any good coatings and many Corvettes back then got driven year round.

• Informative
1543758478639.jpeg

Reactions: ddgermann
Think I found a decent project car,70 Stingray.Going to take a look at it next weekend.It hasn’t run In 15 years, but it’s always been garaged & ran when it was put away

Last edited:
what is interesting about this body color is that it came with a black interior only. All the other 1970 body colors you had some choice of interior colors but not with the bronze. I kinda like that it doesn't have the shopping cart on the back ( luggage rack ).

Don does your new 1970 beauty have the big block in it?
It looks great in the pictures. @turbozig is just finishing a full restoration of his 70 with the big block. It is absolutely amazing. The prettiest and cleanest C3 I’ve ever seen.
Enjoy

Derek ,I haven't found that out yet .The car is in the next state over (Connecticut) and the current owner is in the process of moving forcing the sale, so he has been though to correspond with.I was only able to set a date to see it on 12/8.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.