CCO

Old Timer
Aug 5, 2011
Cambridge ON
VetteCoins
Car
2006 vert, 1994 vert
Shawn Duffy (Major) and his SAR crew on a Hercules C130 is scheduled for a training scenario Wednesday Sept. 4th, about 4pm at KW Airport.
He plans a pass over the airport and a rescue crew drop near Manny's shop at the corner of Woolwich street and Fountain street.
After which he'll land at the airport for fuel and food.

If you've not seen this b4 it's quite a spectacle, so come on out and see this happen and meet the Search and Rescue crew.

As you may be aware, the crew is on duty and may be called at any time for a search, but if they remain free for the day, they'll do the drop tomorrow afternoon as planned.

Hope to see you there....bring your camera.

Check out the link for exact location.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=305+Woolwich+Street,+Breslau,+ON&hl=en&sll=43.402299,-80.332588&sspn=0.104765,0.144539&oq=305+Woolwich+street+B&hnear=305+Woolwich+St+S,+Breslau,+Ontario+N0B+1M0&t=m&z=16

.....and here are a few pictures of Duffy, his SAR crew, Manny and his crew, and a few 'vettes surrounding the Hercules C130.
Tony, Kathy, Steamer and I were awed by the Hercules -- Steamer and Manny's crew got to witness the SAR team doing a rescue nearby Manny's shop- Sorry. was late to the show (actually Duffy was early since he had a busy schedule today).

Many thanks to Duffy and his team as well as the airport authorities for allowing us on the runway for pics and a tour.

Now I don't know which thread to post on! Oh my first world problems! :rofl:

Thanks for snapping the photos Colin! I love seeing the place and all the Corvettes lined up. Very cool!

So.....what's Shawn's plan with the C130? Does he have any mods planned? I can see a nice stealth conversion happening. Those people won't know which direction their getting rescued from! If this happens, Manny may have to get a bigger shop! :D

Hey Doug -- You're a little closer than we are to Trenton where the SAR team flies out of. Worth the trip when you get the time.

Colin.

Colin,

that's true, but have to weigh that against the fact that I've seen lots of jumps during my 10 years posted to 14 Wg Greenwood and to take my '75 is a lot more of a "haul" than if it was a later generation ride like those in the pics. Nonetheless, if the location was closer it would be an easy decision and a great opportunity to meet a few more folks. Maybe they can make a future jump and recover at Rockcliff!

Regardless, iIt will be a lot longer drive after I retire back to Nova Scotia in 18 months...:seeya:

Doug

My daughter and SiL live at the end of the runway in base housing at CFB Trenton, I watched these planes all day on a Thursday the last time I was there

Wow, Steve, they'd see interesting events daily.....Cool stuff.

Steamer lives very close to Comox AFB out on the island and sees many sights practically daily.

C.

I work near our airport and every few weeks I get to see the tutor jets (not sure what they are) come by for a touch and go and if I'm really lucky I get to see the CF-18's do a touch and go! They are looooooud! Every time I see cool aircraft like that, I just think about how I've wasted my life.....:D

I work near our airport and every few weeks I get to see the tutor jets (not sure what they are) come by for a touch and go and if I'm really lucky I get to see the CF-18's do a touch and go! They are looooooud! Every time I see cool aircraft like that, I just think about how I've wasted my life.....:D

I spent three years at Cold Lake and got a number of flights in the Hornet during that time. Fun times!!

VV

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I am extremely jealous!!!!! Do you know what maximum g you experienced? What was the fastest that you went?.......Did you get to blow anything up? :D Man, that would be cool, like getting a ride in an Formula 1 car or Top Fuel Dragster!

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I am extremely jealous!!!!! Do you know what maximum g you experienced? What was the fastest that you went?.......Did you get to blow anything up? :D Man, that would be cool, like getting a ride in an Formula 1 car or Top Fuel Dragster!

They were fun flights for sure. I don't remember the G pulled but it was enought to experience vision becoming "bright" again when the G force was unloaded. We pushed briefly thru mach 1 and did a number of passes on the range for guns and weapons release during another flight. While I was strictly ballast in the back seat when there was "work" to do, I was given stick time to roll the a/c (the roll rate can really impress) and fly formation as well. Like I said - lots of fun. Your ride examples are pretty good - you just have to add the vertical dimension, +/-G forces, straps, harness, oxygen mask, helmet, etc. The a/c will push you about in the seat and it's always tougher when you not the one flying - you can anticipate however if you're thinking right and the a/c rolls left - well you just have to catch-up as best you can. My view - it's a younger person's game! An hour flight takes a lot out of you if the a/c is being put through its paces. But I never turned down a flight...

Wooooooooooooooo Hooooooooo! wicked!!!! Thanks for posting up your experiences! Now if they ever need some more live ballast, you know where to find me!.......although I know it doesn't work that way but if there were such a list, I'd try to be the first one in line!

Wooooooooooooooo Hooooooooo! wicked!!!! Thanks for posting up your experiences! Now if they ever need some more live ballast, you know where to find me!.......although I know it doesn't work that way but if there were such a list, I'd try to be the first one in line!

Maybe: Fly a Military Jet, St Petersburg | GAD

VV

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread