Jan 30, 2017
ingersoll ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2017 corvette 3LT
Hey Guys here is the story! Last summer at the 4500 KM mark I had a vibration that started in the exhaust manifold are off and on then constant at the 1500 RPM mark. I brought it to the dealer and they retightened the bolt that holds the prop shaft. It was good for a week then it came back and the next visit they put lock tight on it. Good for another week and it came back so on the third visit the replaced the bold and again it lasted a week. So there is an issuer with 2016 and 2017 C7's that we are putting high mileage on according to GM but it's not happening on the 15 and 16's. So my car is going back in the end of the month and the entire drive line has to come out to replace the prop shaft which will take three days. So the problem is that GM knows that there is an issue and have no fix for the play in the prop shaft and in 4000 Km it will start again. There is a service bulletin out but they are tight lipped and are not saying much. Anyone else having this issue?

Reactions: ddgermann
Hey Guys here is the story! Last summer at the 4500 KM mark I had a vibration that started in the exhaust manifold are off and on then constant at the 1500 RPM mark. I brought it to the dealer and they retightened the bolt that holds the prop shaft. It was good for a week then it came back and the next visit they put lock tight on it. Good for another week and it came back so on the third visit the replaced the bold and again it lasted a week. So there is an issuer with 2016 and 2017 C7's that we are putting high mileage on according to GM but it's not happening on the 15 and 16's. So my car is going back in the end of the month and the entire drive line has to come out to replace the prop shaft which will take three days. So the problem is that GM knows that there is an issue and have no fix for the play in the prop shaft and in 4000 Km it will start again. There is a service bulletin out but they are tight lipped and are not saying much. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm driving a 17Z with now 1600 kms on it. This is the first I've heard of this Mike. Not something to be looking forward to that's for sure. I will be paying attention now.

So from your post I read that there is a recognized issue and they are covering it under warranty....however they are not being very open about it. Surprise...

I had a 15Z with just under 10,000 KM on it when I traded it and can confirm I never had a problem like this.

They call 4500 km "putting on high kms" Laughable at best.

What is most disturbing is we can expect to have this re-occur every 4000 kms? This could be a real mess for us. I am curious about what is different in the propshaft configuration from the 15 to the 17. Hopefully they do find a proper long term solution for you and possibly me too....

Thanks for the post Mike. Hopefully someone can enlighten us on this further.

D

Hey Mike.I have never heard of this one yet either. Is your car an automatic or manual transmission? Not sure if it matters but I think the propeller shaft is a different part number for each. Do you know if the TSB identified both trannys?

Huh, well that's not good news if its going to be a common problem. I entered my vin on the GM recall website and no 'hits' came back for the issue you described, or any other issue for that matter. I'm a long way from hitting the 4500kms mark but will place the exhaust on stealth mode and keep my ears open when I approach that mark.

Huh, well that's not good news if its going to be a common problem. I entered my vin on the GM recall website and no 'hits' came back for the issue you described, or any other issue for that matter. I'm a long way from hitting the 4500kms mark but will place the exhaust on stealth mode and keep my ears open when I approach that mark.

Paul. Most times a Tech service bulletin will not necessitate, nor show up as a recall. Most TSB's are noted in bold right on the bulletin NOT to just do the repair or tell the customer about it unless the customer has specifically brought the complaint to the service department's attention first. Point in case is the replacement pins for squeaky roofs, or the software upgrade for the PDR video quality...(I'm still giving thanks for that one).... Unless you complain, they don't even tell you there's a TSB for it. The recalls are more for safety hazards that could cause a class action law suit and cost GM a lot of money.... If no one complains about a TSB item that's not a recall, they don't fix it and it cost's them nothing...

Paul. Most times a Tech service bulletin will not necessitate, nor show up as a recall. Most TSB's are noted in bold right on the bulletin NOT to just do the repair or tell the customer about it unless the customer has specifically brought the complaint to the service department's attention first. Point in case is the replacement pins for squeaky roofs, or the software upgrade for the PDR video quality...(I'm still giving thanks for that one).... Unless you complain, they don't even tell you there's a TSB for it. The recalls are more for safety hazards that could cause a class action law suit and cost GM a lot of money.... If no one complains about a TSB item that's not a recall, they don't fix it and it cost's them nothing...

Thanks Rruuff day. I was always under the impression that if an auto maker had received sufficient (whatever # that may be) complaints on an issue, they were mandated to advise other owners of the potential issue.

No problem with mine: 6000 km right now. Could you please send the www address?

Hey Mike.I have never heard of this one yet either. Is your car an automatic or manual transmission? Not sure if it matters but I think the propeller shaft is a different part number for each. Do you know if the TSB identified both trannys?

The real issue is at first they were tight lipped about it and my service manager basically told me that as of right now they don't have a fix for it and they can't alter the car in anyway to make a new part. There is no recall yet and I will ask the next time I am there if it applies to the manual tranny as well. I am not thrilled of the fact that it takes three days to fix and four or five Km I will have it done again.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
TCC Shudder and New Mobil 1 Fluid Exchange – TechLink (gm-techlink.com)

No sign of this - 17,000 km on my 2017 vert. Trading in on a C8.

Thanks, for this link.
My car is doing this and I was concerned it was something more serious.
I assume the fluid exchange/repair is a warranty item?

This is a pretty old thread and there's a lot of newer and more relevant information available. Have look at this thread A8 Automatic issues wide spread or not?, its pretty informative.

The direct answer to your question is - yes, the replacement fluid service is covered under the 5 year / 160000 kl. powertrain warranty.

Reactions: David112
It has absolutely nothing to do with the prop shaft. It's the "transmission fluid". The dealer you bought it from should replace it with a revised fluid free of charge. GM never made a recall for this issue. The issue was found in 2017 or 18 and all GM dealers in the US were sent 55 GAL barrels of fluid and a special pump to remove the old fluid and replace it free off charge to their customers. Problem is with ALL GM vehicles with that automatic tranny, cars and trucks from 2014-2017. No recall because it was not severe in all vehicles. My 2016 Vet started around 15000 miles mainly during mild acceleration or in cruise when the tranny would downshift on inclines. The dealers actually have a "TECH" letter about this issue

It has absolutely nothing to do with the prop shaft. It's the "transmission fluid". The dealer you bought it from should replace it with a revised fluid free of charge. GM never made a recall for this issue. The issue was found in 2017 or 18 and all GM dealers in the US were sent 55 GAL barrels of fluid and a special pump to remove the old fluid and replace it free off charge to their customers. Problem is with ALL GM vehicles with that automatic tranny, cars and trucks from 2014-2017. No recall because it was not severe in all vehicles. My 2016 Vet started around 15000 miles mainly during mild acceleration or in cruise when the tranny would downshift on inclines

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.