I still have a new sealed bottle of Super blue DOT 4 brake fluid, kinda like this example:

Amazon product

I've had it since about 2015 sitting in a closet in the house so no real changes in temp or humidity. Would it still be good to use?

Not planning to use in the Corvette have another car that needs brake fluid changed and thinking of using up this litre of fluid to flush and fill the system in that car, saves me buying a new bottle or two to do this job if I can still use the one taking up space in the closet.

What say the community?

Tony

I still have a new sealed bottle of Super blue DOT 4 brake fluid, kinda like this example:

Amazon product

I've had it since about 2015 sitting in a closet in the house so no real changes in temp or humidity. Would it still be good to use?

Not planning to use in the Corvette have another car that needs brake fluid changed and thinking of using up this litre of fluid to flush and fill the system in that car, saves me buying a new bottle or two to do this job if I can still use the one taking up space in the closet.

What say the community?

Tony

Once opened, brake fluid will begin to deteriorate but will still be usable up to 3 years or so. An unopened bottle on the other hand will be good damn near forever.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Interesting fact. All oils in the industrial sector (45 gal drums) after 5 years in a sealed drum are considering to be no good. I worked at a mine where I looked after all the oil supplies for mobile equipment, and the plant processing lubrication. We sent literally thousands of dollars every year off site for disposal that was never opened ! 😳

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
A lot of things get discarded for no reason and others likely should be discarded sooner. Brake fluid contains glycol ether and borate esters, neither of which deteriorates or separates for many years IF THEY ARE UNOPENED. Here's the but though. They are extremely hygroscopic, and like ethanol have a significant attraction for water. Once exposed to air, the shelf life of brake fluid is less than 2 years.

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to use it to flush out and change brake fluid on my daily. Not too concerned on that car if for some reason it doesn't work out and I gotta do it again with newly purchased fresh stuff.

As I mentioned, it's unopened and kept in the house so no extreme changes in temp and humidity like if it was kept in the garage or shed, should be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
A lot of things get discarded for no reason and others likely should be discarded sooner. Brake fluid contains glycol ether and borate esters, neither of which deteriorates or separates for many years IF THEY ARE UNOPENED. Here's the but though. They are extremely hygroscopic, and like ethanol have a significant attraction for water. Once exposed to air, the shelf life of brake fluid is less than 2 years.
Another huge factor in the waste is that companies like where I worked order very large quantities then Cat or Kamatzu changes the recommended lubricant. So in orderly not void warranties the material is moved off sight. Huge waste 😳

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.