Power User
Jan 11, 2009
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province
SK
So this weekend is our big show in Saskatoon where we are expecting 900-1000 cars and I'm putting the Corvette in the show. It became blatantly obvious that my car was a mess! Especially the engine, so I decided to clean it. I covered the alternator with a bag and sprayed the engine down with the hose staying away from the battery/fuse area. Then I sprayed nearly everything with Simple Green Max Green degreaser and then rinsed and repeated. The engine fired right up after and looks so much better! I am no longer ashamed to open the hood. Here are some pictures.

Dirty, dirty engine.

IMGP3727.jpg

IMGP3728.jpg

Crap built up on the valve covers

IMGP3730.jpg

Passenger Side

IMGP3731.jpg

All Clean!

IMGP3732.jpg

IMGP3733.jpg

IMGP3735.jpg

Passenger Side

IMGP3736.jpg

Happy non embarrassing engine

IMGP3739.jpg

Much better! Now I just have to clean the outside and I am ready for the show!

I've always been too chicken to spray under the hood even with covers over things.
Too concerned about all the contacts and electrics exposed to water.

Sounds like (and looks like) it went well for you, Riley......Maybe I won't be so anal about giving the underbonnet a 'splash'. :)

G/L at the show -- the ride is lookin' real good.
icon14.gif

Be sure and post up some pics for us to see too.

Thanks guys! I don't think I will be doing that too often as it does make me nervous with all the electrical under there, but every once in a while when it really needs it should work. I'll get pictures of the show up tomorrow. PS. I may have met a girl except that she is a Mustang lover through and through! Even has a Mustang tatoo! Hahahaaa. We'll see how it goes. Her car is sweet!

Thanks guys! I don't think I will be doing that too often as it does make me nervous with all the electrical under there, but every once in a while when it really needs it should work. I'll get pictures of the show up tomorrow. PS. I may have met a girl except that she is a Mustang lover through and through! Even has a Mustang tatoo! Hahahaaa. We'll see how it goes. Her car is sweet!

haha, no worries on her being a 'stang lover.......It is possible to have a bowtie and blue oval under one roof and find happiness.

My 'vette and sho get along just fine.....:D

Best of luck Riley, and yes let's see those pictures..:)

The only place that I scrubbed was the front of the head on the passenger side and I would consider it more of just a wipe than a scrub. Other than that, if it wasn't clean the first round, I just gave it another spray with the Simple Max and you could see the dirt start to run. Next time what I will do is have a shop vac with a small nozzle on it to suck the water out of the nooks in the intake. I used a cloth this time but a shop vac would significantly cut the time down to get all the water out.

UPDATE!

There is a crevice where the knock sensors are located that should be plugged with a cloth before drowning the engine. I'll have to ask Manny where that is. It is either due to washing or coincidence that my car threw a code last night....5 days after washing the engine.

10-PCM P0327 H C which is the front knock sensor circuit.

other codes that came up include:

B0-RFA U1096 H, U1064 H, and U1016 H

Any knowledge on these latest codes Manny? Do I have a loose connection somewhere?

Car drives fine and dandy but it's nice to get stuff checked out. If repairs are needed, I'm going to see Russ K in Regina.

Seeing how dirty the engine was, I would still wash it as I wouldn't want to leave it in the condition it was in.

5 days after , I'm thinking bad gas , not a connection . The connector is on the back of the fuel rail on the drivers side . The othe codes are just random , and nothing to worry about , just clear them .

UPDATE!

There is a crevice where the knock sensors are located that should be plugged with a cloth before drowning the engine. I'll have to ask Manny where that is. It is either due to washing or coincidence that my car threw a code last night....5 days after washing the engine.

10-PCM P0327 H C which is the front knock sensor circuit.

other codes that came up include:

B0-RFA U1096 H, U1064 H, and U1016 H

Any knowledge on these latest codes Manny? Do I have a loose connection somewhere?

Car drives fine and dandy but it's nice to get stuff checked out. If repairs are needed, I'm going to see Russ K in Regina.

Seeing how dirty the engine was, I would still wash it as I wouldn't want to leave it in the condition it was in.

Mr. Nasty is there for us again. Kudos Manny.
icon14.gif

Riley, in case you're stuck and need a quick reference, I've found what seems to be a decent code reference site:

OBD-II Check Engine Light Trouble Codes

There are probably others but haven't had time to explore yet.

Awesome! Thanks for the input Manny. I will not worry about it then, but I will pull the codes for the next while if the light comes on just to make sure nothing else sneaks in there. That may be the last time I go to that Esso station.

Thanks for the link Colin! I will have that bookmarked for further use if other codes appear.

if you need the codes cleared or have trouble finding out a code give me a shout as i have a code reader myself, got tired of paying the dealer to rad a code so bought a good one myself .

I've got a couple myself and it sure doesn't take long for them to pay for themselves.
You can typically pay $100 or more for a scan on top of the part and the labour -- that gets 'tired' real quick.

Great offer, Powderextreme, nice to see fellow members stepping up.
I'm thinking if Riley doesn't have a reader, it's on his 'Wish List'.

I've helped a lot of frustrated owners over the years --- these things are aweful handy tools.

Cheers guys,
C.

Very cool. Thank you very much. If the codes return after I put new fuel in the car, I'll give you a shout so we can pin point my cars issue and I can get back my ponies I am missing from the computer retarding the timing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.