When I did the plant tour last year the powers that be said that all cars that had cleared the production line were parked for two weeks in case of any recalls from parts suppliers. So a two week wait is normal. What is apparently going on now is the daytime/nighttime running lights that are not functioning properly. I would presume they are waiting on either a software update or an ambient light sensor. Daytime running lights are mandatory in Canada, If there are any issues they have to be cleared up before the car can enter Canada.

When I did the plant tour last year the powers that be said that all cars that had cleared the production line were parked for two weeks in case of any recalls from parts suppliers. So a two week wait is normal. What is apparently going on now is the daytime/nighttime running lights that are not functioning properly. I would presume they are waiting on either a software update or an ambient light sensor. Daytime running lights are mandatory in Canada, If there are any issues they have to be cleared up before the car can enter Canada.
I don't know if that is 100% correct regarding the 2 week hold. My car was built December 5th, window sticker issued December 7th, vehicle delivered to dealer December 11th, and in my garage on December 14th.

What I understand and seen is the currently they have not built a single Canadian C8 Stingray or Z06 since February 13th and also from what I understand dealers cannot sell NEW Canadian Corvettes until the DRL software issue(s) have be resolved. This effects over a 250k minimum Canadian vehicles with the Intellibeam light system.

No word yet on the fix and whether is will be over the air (OTA) or you have to bring car to the dealer to have it done. OTA is the best scenario for everyone in my opinion. A friend of mine's C8 build is stalled until this is addressed.

Reactions: Gilles27 and CWO
Ya, I've never heard of a 2 week wait for anything other than a recalls etc. Yes, some unique situations will cause cars to sit. Recalls, known issues, first cars of a generation off the ass'y line etc.
Just repeating what we were told. As cars come off the line there is a final inspector who drives it off the line on to some metal "V" on the floor to set the shock absorbers. However, if they have an issue with the "final" inspection it is driven off to a section right beside the line to see if the issue can be rectified. If not, then it goes to a nearby staging area for a more comprehensive mechanical inspection and hopefully rectification. At least once a day they will pull a car off after it has passed the :finals" and take it for a drive around the BG area to make sure all is OK.
In theory it is supposed to be A1 when it gets delivered.

Reactions: CWO and Murray20c8
Just repeating what we were told. As cars come off the line there is a final inspector who drives it off the line on to some metal "V" on the floor to set the shock absorbers. However, if they have an issue with the "final" inspection it is driven off to a section right beside the line to see if the issue can be rectified. If not, then it goes to a nearby staging area for a more comprehensive mechanical inspection and hopefully rectification. At least once a day they will pull a car off after it has passed the :finals" and take it for a drive around the BG area to make sure all is OK.
In theory it is supposed to be A1 when it gets delivered.
"That" I have heard, many times. It's just the 2 week mandatory hold I've never heard of as a normal procedure.
Mine was at the dealer within 2 weeks of 3800. And when I was tracking build dates, I kept as close as possible of course, my eye on these things.

Reactions: CWO
"That" I have heard, many times. It's just the 2 week mandatory hold I've never heard of as a normal procedure.
Mine was at the dealer within 2 weeks of 3800. And when I was tracking build dates, I kept as close as possible of course, my eye on these things.
Holding all cars for 2 weeks after they are built 'in case' of a recall is absolutely bad information, especially 4 years in to a Model!!!! Once the car is built, and if there are 0 issues found after Final Inspection, car is shipped very quickly to its destination, quite often the next day or 2....Holding cars at the very start of a Major Model change is common for a couple weeks....2 main reasons - 1) Software problems are common at the start, so Reflashes are quite common, and easy to do when cars are still parked. 2) Inventory needs to build up prior to shipping so once shipping starts, all dealers can get a few cars at the same time......

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Billclerm and CWO
Holding all cars for 2 weeks after they are built 'in case' of a recall is absolutely bad information, especially 4 years in to a Model!!!! Once the car is built, and if there are 0 issues found after Final Inspection, car is shipped very quickly to its destination, quite often the next day or 2....Holding cars at the very start of a Major Model change is common for a couple weeks....2 main reasons - 1) Software problems are common at the start, so Reflashes are quite common, and easy to do when cars are still parked. 2) Inventory needs to build up prior to shipping so once shipping starts, all dealers can get a few cars at the same time......
Makes sense.
We were right at the end of the 2023 year model which was a Z06. It didn't get driven off the line as there was some issue with it. Amazing how the whole line then gets held up until the car gets moved to a repair area.
There were probably a couple of dozen C8's being held for problem solving. It could be anything such as a rattle or more serious. So those ones don't actually make it out of the plant until the problem is fixed. And if necessary they get torn apart to find the issue.
At any rate, the quality control impressed me. After all, Corvette does want to deliver a top notch vehicle to you.

Makes sense.
We were right at the end of the 2023 year model which was a Z06. It didn't get driven off the line as there was some issue with it. Amazing how the whole line then gets held up until the car gets moved to a repair area.
There were probably a couple of dozen C8's being held for problem solving. It could be anything such as a rattle or more serious. So those ones don't actually make it out of the plant until the problem is fixed. And if necessary they get torn apart to find the issue.
At any rate, the quality control impressed me. After all, Corvette does want to deliver a top notch vehicle to you.
During my visit, there were 6 cars in the QC section at the end of line. For some reason they were all Z06. Probably can only hold 10-12 cars before they have to take them outside.

Mine was also delivered to me within 2 weeks of build so definitely no mandatory hold if they get all check marks.

If you were there at the very beginning of a model year that might have been true. But it's definitely not true of normal production. Some of the tour guides like to sound like they know more than they do.

Until the DRL issue is fixed, GM can't legally import any non-conforming cars into Canada, or sell any that are still on dealer lots.

Something similar happened to Ford a while back and they took 8 months to rectify.
Thanks for the positive encouragement. Hopefully not this time. If that were the case I’m happy I haven’t paid yet. Lots of nice C8’s sitting on dealers lots at MSRP so at least you would avoid the shipping and prep time. C7’s would start to look attractive as well.

Reactions: CWO
Thanks for the positive encouragement. Hopefully not this time. If that were the case I’m happy I haven’t paid yet. Lots of nice C8’s sitting on dealers lots at MSRP so at least you would avoid the shipping and prep time. C7’s would start to look attractive as well.
If we are talking about the DRL recall, Over the C8 MY there has never been a hold like this for any length of time AFAIK

Users who are viewing this thread