Nov 17, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
'85 Accord
Province
ON
So Borla released their exhaust for the C8 a little while ago for a whopping $5K USD (I've seen Canadian retailers list it for over $8K CAD). They claim that the system has a different "tone", but it's near impossible to tell the difference over digitized sound clips on Youtube. Anyone ever heard this system first hand, or have experience with their product in general? I'm really curious as to if they've made something that actually sounds unique, or if it's the same old, same old.

System looks nice, but still...$5K USD for a stainless system is pretty rich. I know Akra was making their C7 system out of titanium for around the same price, and their systems are works of art.

140839CF-main-1-large.jpg

So Borla released their exhaust for the C8 a little while ago for a whopping $5K USD (I've seen Canadian retailers list it for over $8K CAD). They claim that the system has a different "tone", but it's near impossible to tell the difference over digitized sound clips on Youtube. Anyone ever heard this system first hand, or have experience with their product in general? I'm really curious as to if they've made something that actually sounds unique, or if it's the same old, same old.

System looks nice, but still...$5K USD for a stainless system is pretty rich. I know Akra was making their C7 system out of titanium for around the same price, and their systems are works of art.

You should listen to NPP with high flow cats before spending those kind of dollars. I think it's Sparro that did that. Cheaper and likely better power.

Reactions: Maximus74
You should listen to NPP with high flow cats before spending those kind of dollars. I think it's Sparro that did that. Cheaper and likely better power.
I heard his car before on a random drive by a few weeks ago. You definitely hear it coming with the cats and exhaust.

But I really want to try and maintain the "mild to wild" function. Maybe I'll do cats, but I don't want to make it "wild to wilder". I've got other options in the garage for that hooliganism. And like I said before... neighbours already "know" I'm a lunatic. Don't need to pour anymore gas on that fire.

• Haha
Reactions: OL Yeller
The Borla is huge money and if the sound is not what you are after there are many other choices. I'm in the market as well but will hold off until I can hear them in person. So it's time to get to some car shows in the US it would seem. ;)
It's a tough decision for sure.
I've heard the Fab speed and Paragon system on the C8 in person.

To me, they sound like amplified systems from stock. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm holding out for something special.

I heard his car before on a random drive by a few weeks ago. You definitely hear it coming with the cats and exhaust.

But I really want to try and maintain the "mild to wild" function. Maybe I'll do cats, but I don't want to make it "wild to wilder". I've got other options in the garage for that hooliganism. And like I said before... neighbours already "know" I'm a lunatic. Don't need to pour anymore gas on that fire.
You think the NPP exhaust with the valves closed are loud? I run with them open all the time, but I didn't think they were that loud closed

Nope. I have to open the windows with the valves open to hear anything inside.
So adding high flow cats shouldn't make the sound much louder with the valves closed. To me it's the best option. I can't see spending all that money on aftermarket exhaust just to change the tune. YMMV of course.

High flow cats to the stock NPP is by far your best bang for the buck. It would sound perfect to most people. When I added the Fabspeed exhaust now, there are times I think its maybe too loud. Putting it in Tour mode helps, but the valvetronic uses resonators and not mufflers, so it's not a very big difference.

The Fabspeed has the best idle sound for sure. Nice deep V8 sound but from online videos it does have quite the full throttle sound level. Dyno vids are really loud even if it is tolerable in the cabin. The ability to quiet it down when you want is something that would be a necessity for me. My neighbors are great folks but early morning departures with that exhaust may be pushing the limits.

High flow cats to the stock NPP is by far your best bang for the buck. It would sound perfect to most people. When I added the Fabspeed exhaust now, there are times I think its maybe too loud. Putting it in Tour mode helps, but the valvetronic uses resonators and not mufflers, so it's not a very big difference.

Very intrigued...

So What's the approximate cost for something like this?

Who has done this?

Sport cats range in price...the best bang for your buck that I have come across were from 2M.

$665 USD, and then add on labour...Do it yourself will probably be about 4 hrs if you have everything well prepped. Not difficult, but re/re the airbox is a pain, and it's tight in the engine bay. Hopefully no CEL after it's all buttoned back up.

Reactions: Ty.

Nice setup! I preferred Magnaflow the sound and look (open view of the plumbing via the screen) but more the sound and getting two systems in one with the easy to change track pipes... for $2k less. Happy Motoring!

Did you dyno before and after? Curious.
No I didn’t have time due to travel. I know what the Dino charts claim for RWHP for each item when installed on a C8 though...76RWHP at max but not entirely throughout the range. By choice, the greatest RWHP is mid-band through about 5000 RPM, where I like to be. Seat of the pants, it is night & day. Other C8s are left behind from the very get-go & no problems with warranty. Merry Christmas To you & your’s!

Reactions: Murray20c8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread