Yea the # 1 moron :Hurray: ... for paying over 300 large for the plate
Back around 2000 give or take a year the Ontario Province decided to increase the number of characters on personalized plates from 7 characters to 8. I actually wrote two different Ministers of Transportation pointing out that regular plates had 8 characters, questioning why existing personalized plates only allowed 7 characters and expressed disappointment that 7 character plates had exhausted the special opportunity for customization and stated that if they moved to 8 character plates that it would result in a large number of personal plate requests.

I actually received a personal phone call, not from the minister, but from one of his aids stating that they enjoyed my letter, thought that I must be a lawyer due to the writing style, however the purpose of the call was to inform me they were moving to 8 character personalized plates. You will be able to purchase the plate on “this date” (escapes me) but not online, only by calling the ministry and speaking with a representative.

The catch was should you want to purchase the plate on the first date of availability or within 30 day of that date the cost was $510. Should you decide to wait the 30 days and take the chance your plate selection remained available, then the cost dropped to $310.

My logic was that “Corvette” being 8 characters would go right away as well with my selection of “Venomous” (I had a Cobra Mustang back at that time) would go day one. So I called waited on hold 1 hour and bought the plate…..$510.

So to me, $310 is cheap…..ha ha

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpeg
    IMG_0002.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0001.jpeg
    IMG_0001.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0518.jpeg
    IMG_0518.jpeg
    750.2 KB · Views: 0
Heres is the frame that I have ...... Got it from Corvette Mods ... not too wild but follows the body lines of the opening ... and its in Carbon Flash

Didnt make much of an effort to cover the plate ... whats even worse ... My C8 is featured in HRE Wheels gallary for the P 107 SCs and yup the plate is visible

Dam I'm in trouble now ;)
I saw some nice ones that you can get in body colour but they wanted something like $167 for them . If I come across the link again I’ll post it. They did look pretty nice though even at that price.
Found it .

Last edited:
Reactions: Vettenut
Murray you and I are flying at different altitudes…….ha ha

I should have been more clear in my question……In fact I’m quite aware that certain covers that hide the characters of a license plate are illegal……we’re on the same page there…..what I was enquiring is why do posters hide or cover (blur) the characters of their license plate when posting pictures of their car?

I was trying to be somewhat humorous, because I believe that they do this to try and protect their privacy so as not to disclose the location of their prized car. However in a recent post of a beautiful new orange C-8 the owner forgot to hide his home address……….
ahhh no... this is why I block my numbers when posting pictures:

It's a big issue these days. If I was a dishonest person I could make duplicates of your plates if its an orange C8 and drive around on the 407 for free. You would be stuck with the bills.

Back around 2000 give or take a year the Ontario Province decided to increase the number of characters on personalized plates from 7 characters to 8. I actually wrote two different Ministers of Transportation pointing out that regular plates had 8 characters, questioning why existing personalized plates only allowed 7 characters and expressed disappointment that 7 character plates had exhausted the special opportunity for customization and stated that if they moved to 8 character plates that it would result in a large number of personal plate requests.

I actually received a personal phone call, not from the minister, but from one of his aids stating that they enjoyed my letter, thought that I must be a lawyer due to the writing style, however the purpose of the call was to inform me they were moving to 8 character personalized plates. You will be able to purchase the plate on “this date” (escapes me) but not online, only by calling the ministry and speaking with a representative.

The catch was should you want to purchase the plate on the first date of availability or within 30 day of that date the cost was $510. Should you decide to wait the 30 days and take the chance your plate selection remained available, then the cost dropped to $310.

My logic was that “Corvette” being 8 characters would go right away as well with my selection of “Venomous” (I had a Cobra Mustang back at that time) would go day one. So I called waited on hold 1 hour and bought the plate…..$510.

So to me, $310 is cheap…..ha ha
VERY NICE !!;)

It's a big issue these days. If I was a dishonest person I could make duplicates of your plates if its an orange C8 and drive around on the 407 for free. You would be stuck with the bills.

Very interesting…..thank you!

I’m fed up with our “upside down” Canada…….victims have less rights than criminals……the justice system is broken, and a $140 fine for driving with a false/copied plate is worth the risk…….impound the car until his/her court date, and do the same for driving impaired or under the influence…..that will will get their attention and guaranteed to reduce those offences!

Interesting ..... and yes these are great concerns ... I guess someone could even just take a pic of your plate if they are behind you at a traffic light

• Agree
Reactions: Cobravenomous
Interesting ..... and yes these are great concerns ... I guess someone could even just take a pic of your plate if they are behind you at a traffic light

You know we live a pretty sad world where the scammers will even duplicate your license plate to save 2 bucks on the f#^%&*g 407 and stiff you with the bill
:ROFL:

Very interesting…..thank you!

I’m fed up with our “upside down” Canada…….victims have less rights than criminals……the justice system is broken, and a $140 fine for driving with a false/copied plate is worth the risk…….impound the car until his/her court date, and do the same for driving impaired or under the influence…..that will will get their attention and guaranteed to reduce those offences!
I’m surprised with the comment that the Ministry can’t do anything with the business’s that sell these so called novelty plates. Wouldn’t copyright laws address this? And the example plate shown by the news anchor did have physical differences than that of the original provincial plate. Are the license plate readers currently installed in police cars not able to be configured to discern the difference? Then again the offender would likely be paid millions by our pathetic government following claims of police harassment…..ha ha.

• Agree
I’m surprised with the comment that the Ministry can’t do anything with the business’s that sell these so called novelty plates. Wouldn’t copyright laws address this? And the example plate shown by the news anchor did have physical differences than that of the original provincial plate. Are the license plate readers currently installed in police cars not able to be configured to discern the difference? Then again the offender would likely be paid millions by our pathetic government following claims of police harassment…..ha ha.

Yea just like the people on the road that ride E-bikes .... they operate them just like its a car occupying any lane they choose .. at speeds that are faster than I'm driving ( at times ;) ) ...in a Corvette ... and the cops dont seem to care .... but thats another topic for elsewhere

Reactions: Murray20c8
yes they could, but the scammer would have to be behind me with camera ready. I'll take that risk and nothing I can do about that.

Posting your plate on a public website where any scammer can see is different story.

My wife has a mazda. If i was a scammer I wouldnt sit in traffic taking down plates of white mazdas. I would just go to the canadian mazda forum or facebook group and just look at the pictures of white mazdas. Buy the same plate and drive around for free on the 407.

yes they could, but the scammer would have to be behind me with camera ready. I'll take that risk and nothing I can do about that.

Posting your plate on a public website where any scammer can see is different story.

My wife has a mazda. If i was a scammer I wouldnt sit in traffic taking down plates of white mazdas. I would just go to the canadian mazda forum or facebook group and just look at the pictures of white mazdas. Buy the same plate and drive around for free on the 407.

I guess but why would a scammer wanna copy anyones individual plate ? Why not just pick a random combo of letters ... get it made up at the novelty shop and put it on their car .... job done

Got this really nice plate at the NCM last year ...tried it on my Vette ... man did it look nice on there .. if I really wanted to scam the 407 ( absolutely never ) I could just throw this plate on ... awesome ... but if anyone is driving around with a plate that is not legit and they get pulled over .... they will have some splainin to do

For me its not a concern ... JMO ... and with that and $ 9.49 you can buy a Big Mack combo at Mickey D's ... I think thats the price

Attachments

• KY.jpg
    KY.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1st Vette
I guess but why would a scammer wanna copy anyones individual plate ? Why not just pick a random combo of letters ... get it made up at the novelty shop and put it on their car .... job done

Got this really nice plate at the NCM last year ...tried it on my Vette ... man did it look nice on there .. if I really wanted to scam the 407 ( absolutely never ) I could just throw this plate on ... awesome ... but if anyone is driving around with a plate that is not legit and they get pulled over .... they will have some splainin to do

For me its not a concern ... JMO ... and with that and $ 9.49 you can buy a Big Mack combo at Mickey D's ... I think thats the price
What’s a Big Mack ? I always thought that was a truck….. :rolleyes:

• Winner

Cops patrol the 407. It wouldn't surprise me if they wouldn't alert the OPP about any bogus plate. The 407 people have access to the license plate database in some fashion. If I recall there are hefty fines for defrauding the 407. That's one place where the plate is extremely important and cops will pull over people with smoked plate covers, trucks with the tailgate down etc.

Getting back to the original post topic, I like the offering from ACS Composites. You can get carbon black or other colour frames alone or within the larger black insert. Considering it for my C8:

1714666413680.png

Attachments

• 1714666323604.png
    1714666323604.png
    79 KB · Views: 0
Getting back to the original post topic, I like the offering from ACS Composites. You can get carbon black or other colour frames alone or within the larger black insert. Considering it for my C8:

View attachment 123763
If you have an orange plate surround why would you not want the european area to be orange too?

View attachment 123763
Same one I posted yesterday, but $167 for that seems a bit high IMHO . Nice though. See post #42 .

View attachment 123763

All of ACS's stuff ... fit and finish is beautiful ... no doubt ... and I did order my 1VM front slitter from them ... love it .... but IMO they are bit too greedy with their pricing

And although their plate frame is nice ... the issue I have with it is that it does not cover the lower plate screw holes .... and for 139 CAD you'd think it would be perfect.
I also looked at that frame and didnt buy it for this reason ... JMO..... there are better out there for a better price

To me it kinda looks like a random frame you'd get off Amazon for like 10 bucks

Carbon Flash Black Corvette License Plate Frame with SKU 45-4-244 by ACS Composite, ideal for C7 and C8 Corvettes and other vehicles, with integrated tabs and matching screws.

• Agree
Reactions: 1st Vette