s-l1600-1.jpg

You know the old saying “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Most of us would make a deal with the Devil to own that beauty just as it is. Never quite understand why so many Vet owners want to change them to look like something else. I have a stock “94 C4 and have no intention of changing anything with the exception of worn parts.

I like to learn something every day, so my question is...Can anyone explain why the intake tubes appear to be different diameters and lengths?
The intake stacks are different lengths for as perfect tuning of the air intake as you can get. The intake valves open and air rushes down the stacks. When the valve closes the air stacks back to the tube and then bounces back down. The trick is to make the most efficient use of the air as you can. You see this mostly on drag cars as the extra performance will only make a difference at a certain range of RPMs.

I like to learn something every day, so my question is...Can anyone explain why the intake tubes appear to be different diameters and lengths?
It made a difference whether the car ran an automatic or manual transmission. Cannot offer an explanation as to the why of it but do know the tuning was different from one to the other in terms of stack lengths. Will try to find out!

• Winner
Reactions: nascar03
The intake stacks are different lengths for as perfect tuning of the air intake as you can get. The intake valves open and air rushes down the stacks. When the valve closes the air stacks back to the tube and then bounces back down. The trick is to make the most efficient use of the air as you can. You see this mostly on drag cars as the extra performance will only make a difference at a certain range of RPMs.
Harkens back to my old fluid mechanics studies. Must have something to do with pressures, velocities, friction losses and turbulence.
I don't want to see the equations. Thanks for the explain, in short they are for equalization/optimization of air intake.

It made a difference whether the car ran an automatic or manual transmission. Cannot offer an explanation as to the why of it but do know the tuning was different from one to the other in terms of stack lengths. Will try to find out!
Might not make a lot of difference anymore with todays 8 speed autos... Just guessing here...

Reactions: Black 03 Z06