This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Be more attentive with your insurance than I have been..........

Thanks Garry, yeah i've come across a couple policies myself where something went amiss. I've heard of situations where a client is picking up a new vehicle and the broker substitutes the vehicle for the day of the exchange and the client got into an accident on the way to get the new car, but there was no insurance on the older car already, insurance company was still on the hook for it.

Insurance does get a bad rap sometimes with the perception of being evil and stealing money and denying claims lol, but there are a lot of dishonest people out there making fraudulent claims which bumps everyone else's insurance up (unfortunately that's the way insurance works), but you have to remember that an insurance company is a business first and foremost, they need to make a profit, same as a bank or any other company providing a service.

The ZR1 vs F40 example doesn't surprise me, it's curious but not surprising, as i've said before, there are probably more ZR1's on the road and claiming insurance compared to F40's, it's not just about the value of the car, but how much an insurance company expects to pay out for it.

A simple explanation would be that most expensive cars are usually well maintained and babied around by their owners which results in less claims, less claims for a particular make and model of car means less money given out my insurance companies which means cheaper insurance all round for owners of that car.

As far as deductibles go, most companies will charge a % deductible instead of the standard $500 or $1000 or $250 etc. for high value vehicles. We have a client with a $250k lambo and the deductible is 5%, so if anything happens to the lambo, the owner pays the first $12,500 before we pay.

Cheers,

Felix

Good evening Felix,

OK, now this is a good opportunity that I can not pass by.

So outside of not having accidents, speeding tickets and claims what advice or strategies could you suggest to us to help us get the best deal possible on our car insurance (besides buying it from you!)? Are there insider things that you would suggest thanks to your anonymity that our insurance dealers might not tell us or would rather not tell us??

Might as well make use of the expertise that we have now discovered within our ranks!

Cheers,

Garry

Fantastic write up Felix.

One question to do a more apples to apples comparison.

I can see a ZR1 Vs F40

But:
2006 Corvette Z06: $1670/year
2013 Corvette Z06: $1673/year

Why would a nine year newer car only be $3 more per year? Both are Corvettes, both are Z06 models yet the newer one is worth probably $50,000 more. Is it because the older ones are purchased by a different group, maybe younger? More accidents per year of Corvette? I know you don't have all the answers and were just giving us examples (and they were very good).

I know it wouldn't work but I wish the insurance companies could just insure the individual person so no matter what car I drove, it's insured to my deductible. Reason I say this is that I have $200 deductible on my cars yet borrowed a friends car for the highway as it gets way better fuel economy then my truck and wanted to save some money. I ended up hitting a rabbit at night and paid a $700 deductible on their car. (Actually kind of funny, there was a perfect rabbit imprint on the A/C condenser). It made it seem like a waste paying a premium on my insurance and it would have been nice to use my insurance on their car. It made me wish I just drove my truck as it would not have noticed the rabbit or the rabbit would have just gone underneath and carried on it's way..... long story short, both me and the rabbit would have preferred that I not hit it.

I have a 98 C5 convertible and the cost is only $275 for the year but covers full 6 month and storage the other 6 months , $500 deductible and i'm 49 years old here in Quebec... I guess we must drive better here ... lol.

Good afternoon ve2yzb,

Now that is not much at all. I wonder, does Quebec (like I think BC does) have a no-fault insurance system? So people can't go all litegation crazy everytime they feel the breeze of an oncoming vehicle?

Maybe what I am learning from this thread is that insurance for these cars is not as crazy as I had first thought. Unless the Vibe/Corvette costs that were posted and there being basically the same price, $1000, is taken into account.

I have another question for Pyro. With the upcoming modifications to my cars engine, should I increase the value of the car's worth on my insurance policy? Will modifying the engine substantially result in my having to pay a higher premium in Alberta. Or should I just leave everything as is? Any advice on what to do here?

Cheers,

Garry

Assuming you're not willing to move to a cheaper place/province

What I can recommend (keep in mind this probably mainly applies to Albertans and Ontarians, although they may be applicable for other provinces too)

1) keep an eye on your annual mileage, try to be close, but it's okay if you undershoot your guess (insurance companies don't record your odometer readings and as long as you're not too far off there shouldn't be a problem) the reason being is the # of km you're on the road a year is correlated to the chances of an accident, a person who drives 30,000km/year vs 5,000km/year has 6 times the driving, if you live in the same area and do the same type of driving, that's potentially 6 times the chances for accidents! I've seen a couple thousand km give discounts of anywhere between $20-100 (it's a big range i know, but money saved is money saved) and if the km difference is high, i've seen prices jump around $200 or more of a few tens of thousands of kms per year

2) if you commute, don't pick a round number, for example if your commute is about 25km, tell your insurance company 24 or 23 (this is under the assumption that we are all more or less honest folk here ) the reason for this is because insurance companies are kinda sneaky sometimes and try to get more money out of you (after all it is a business), so they have tiered mileage and they usually make the cutoffs round numbers because people like to guess round numbers. That way when you guess 25km....uh oh, you're in the next rate bracket! Each company may have different cut offs so don't use my 25km example as the gold standard.

3) always shop around when your renewal is coming up. Insurance brokers are supposed to shop around for you, but they only have access to 4 or 5 companies usually that they have partnerships with. Another brokerage might have a different set of insurance companies they use so always shop around to see what other companies are offering

4) try to get on group insurance, group insurance will usually net you the lowest rates, so if you're a member of an alumni group (colleges and universities) or a professional group (ie. Teacher's unions, Engineering societies, chartered accountants, crown corporations etc.) generally the rates will be better.
Further to this, some companies may offer occupational or reitree discounts which can save you a bit of money as well different companies have different policies on this so not all insurance companies will be the same, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

5) remove glass coverage, in Alberta it's the SEF 13D (standard in a lot of policies actually) and in Ontario i believe it's the OPCF 13D, you usually save something on the comprehensive portion when you do this, in Alberta the savings can be as much as $100+, Ontarians aren't as lucky and the savings usually aren't as great, but then again we don't get as many cracked windshields

6) older non leased/financed vehicles...you may consider taking off collision as collision coverage protects your own vehicle usually for single vehicle accidents or at-fault accidents. if you can live with the consequence of possibly losing the car for nothing when it's your own mistake, you will almost certainly save $100+ by removing collision. again this is personal preference as some people like to feel safer with the collision coverage and others are more open to risk. This is something you should consider thoroughly and understand how this coverage works before removing, I have never recommended my clients take off collision or put it on, I have only ever tried to educate my clients on the way collision coverage works and let them make their own decision. You don't want this to be something you regret when you do get into an accident and need to fix up your own car.

That's all I can think of for now... obviously there is also increasing your deductibles but usually the savings is quite minimal that it is not worth it for what you're giving up so i rarely recommend this option.

My best guess at this point is that it's government insurance in Saskatchewan, not sure what the difference is in other provinces with private insurance, but again it's probably similar first and foremost because they are both c6's so that may constitute the "same car" just different years since they are the same generation. Another reason may be that the new 2013's have only had about a year to drive around and get into accidents, whereas the 2006's have had about 6 years now, so again being on the road more you can probably safely assume more chances for accidents

what you suggested is possible as well since the 2006's are coming down in price to a point where the younger guys like myself start being able to afford them, lord knows there's no way I'm buying a brand new vette at 25 in this economy lol. Maybe in a few years when I've climbed the corporate ladder a bit haha

a tip about running into wildlife that seems as strange to me as it probably will to you, if you run into an animal and the animal lives it goes under collision and will in all likelihood count as an at fault claim. HOWEVER, killing the animal will go under comprehensive and count as not at fault. So if you're going to hit an animal and don't want your insurance rates to be affected, aim to kill :boxing_smiley:

I have a 98 C5 convertible and the cost is only $275 for the year but covers full 6 month and storage the other 6 months , $500 deductible and i'm 49 years old here in Quebec... I guess we must drive better here ... lol.

Quebec, BC, Saskatchewan and Manitoba (in no particular order) are all government insurance. While insurance is government regulated in every province, these 4 provinces have the (possible) benefit of less hassle since you deal with the government for your insurance. the upside is these provinces are usually cheaper for insurance and the insurance is probably subsized by the government or taxes etc. The disadvantages would be that there's no competition, so you have no options if push comes to shove but to comply to big brother.

Quebec is a bit peculiar as is has both public and private insurance, if i'm not mistaken, mandatory coverages go through SAAQ while the optional physical damage coverages can be bought through private insurers

at any rate, government insurance is usually cheaper which could also explain the minimal variation between prices of certain vehicles as riley points out

No fault insurance applies to Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Ontario (again Quebec is a bit peculiar since it isn't no fault of everything)

now with your upcoming modifications, i'm not sure about your insurance company but some insurance companies frown on modifications and will not insure performance modifications of any kind. some will charge you for the modifications as the value of the vehicle goes up and usually the HP as well but my recommendation would be to call your insurance company anonymously, and ask what their policy is on modified vehicles first. and by anonymously i mean don't give any of your personal info (name, address, policy #) and call from a different phone as insurance companies will almost certainly have caller id and be able to look you up by phone number while keeping you on the line. once you've confirmed your insurance company is okay with modifications you can definitely disclose it and they will update your vehicle by the price of the modification minus depreciation and charge additional premium. if you want your vehicle insured to it's current market value, you'll have to get an appraisal and request that it's insured to the appraised value.

if your company has a firm stance against modifications, you have 2 options, keep quiet and pray you never have a a serious accident or a totaled vehicle for them to send an adjuster out and realize it's modified, or find a new insurance company that has a friendlier attitude towards modifications. most minor damages like a fender bender, companies do not send out adjusters and just tell you to get estimates for repair and just pay you, but if there's chance of chasis damage or compromised safety they will definitely send an adjuster.

I type way too much, I need to work on condensing my replies lol :leaving:

another point to mention which i felt should be a separate post so it hopefully doesn't get lost in the shuffle with everyone is....

an at fault accident is an at fault accident, 1% and 100% and 50%, it makes no difference in an insurance company's eyes. it will all be charged as at fault. so when they tell you it's 50/50 fault or 25/75 they're just spitting on your face and calling it rain. most people feel more at ease and are more open to the concept when they hear "you're only 25% at fault" or "you're only 50% at fault" but in reality...1% - 100% at fault will affect your insurance in the exact same way down to the last dollar of premium

Insurance Cost

Good Evening -The annual cost on a 2,000 stock Vert in Ontario with 5 months on the road and 7 months in the garage is $400 on a multi vehicle, retired policy.
Just finished a discussion with the agent about lowering the cost next year and the question was asked about modifications indicating that some carriers are pulling insurance on modified vehicles.
This happened to me 8 yrs ago, pre Corvette with a '68 442 Convert that had a cam, headers, 455 Cu, 1,000 CFM carb, 400 HP etc etc. and was insured with the other 2 daily drivers.
I received notification directly from the Ins company and the agent was not aware.
Had to go to classic car insurance to get coverage.
There was a question about paying for past coverage when insurance was not actually on the vehicle.
Had you had an accident during that period, I expect the insurance company would not have paid up, however you would have to sue and the agents carry insurance for bad decisions/practices.
I could also relate to the vehicle licence renewal when I was out of the country and renewed my licences a month late and received an 8% (1 month) discount.

Good morning Pyro,

I almost feel as if I should be paying you a retainer! Wonderful, excellent advice and recommendations. Interesting comments about modifications to vehicles. I'm going to have to look into this before bringing the car home in the spring so that I don't have any more surprises.

I called AMA to ask them what their opinion was regarding not having received the new pink slip/bill for the Z06 after having had one for 3 weeks and they seemed to be of the opinion since I had sent them the bill of sale and had a copy of the pink slip - not the temporary one written up at the insurance companies office - but the one issued from the head office - that they were in the wrong and that they would have covered me. Sounds strange I know but this does indeed appear to be the case.

Y2KConv - how interesting! Like Pyro said, I'll have to call from another phone to inquire what my current insurer's policy is on something like this.

A lot of information, hopefully useful to the other owners and a great example of how this type of forum can be valuable.

Cheers,

Garry

Personally I wouldn't pay them a cent.
You have written admission and an invoice (policy).
You have lots of vehicles... and lots of pull.

My advice is highly biased. I've audited a few insurance companies in my time. I've also had less than pleasant personal experiences dealing with these crooks.

by the way glass coverage is separate in sask. so if you have HUD, the windshield is at least $1000, so......

it's highly debateable since with insurance you are paying for services that you hope you never use. it's different than say home renovations or landscaping etc where you can see the work being done and you would pay up even if there was a mix up and they didn't collect money for work done. An admission of mistake I don't believe would justify not paying the insurance company althought i certainly understand where the logic comes from. However, i'm not so sure which side the courts would judge in favour of if there was an escalation in the disputed collections

by the way glass coverage is separate in sask. so if you have HUD, the windshield is at least $1000, so......

oh right, i forgot about you HUD guys lol, yeah i would not recommend taking off windshield coverage with a HUD, esp if the windshield is going to cost that pretty of a penny!