19C7GS

Casual User
Jan 14, 2022
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2019 GS
Province
ON
So today I started my car normally, it hesitated just a bit but didn't mind it. Went to the gas station and after car refused to turn over. One of my headlights went out and all sorts of random stuff was going on with the electricals everything went haywire. Got it jump started and it works now. Weird

2019 and battery is already dead? Is that common? Is there a better battery than the OEM that won't die in the cold?

Also my infotainment screen is black and none of the USB ports work anymore. Gonna wait to see if they reset by tomorrow morning. Wtf just happened?

Been there … done it. Purchased and installed new Battery Part 88865245 last year which is now Part 88866212 today - according to Jack Carter Parts Online.
Everything worked normally following the battery replacement - one adjustment required .

I wrote a thread about my C7 DIY replacement ... might help ... might not

Last edited:
Wasn't gonna wait for an OEM replacement at the dealership, went out and got an AGM battery with higher cranking amps and installed it. All works well (except my settings all got reset :mad:)

Edit: For anyone wondering in the future reading this, my infotainment and USB ports work again as normal

Last edited:
Reactions: OL Yeller
Somewhat related: I'd recommend everyone consider buying a battery from Costco. I put one in my daughter's vehicle 2 years and 10 months ago. When recently buying a new one, Costco gave me a 100% refund of the new cost, even though I paid far less for the old one. So they have the usual great Costco warranty on their vehicle batteries. Other places would at best, pro-rate the cost for the time on the battery to date and use the old price as the reference point. And FWIW, my vehicle batteries usually last 5 to 7 years...with 9 years being the longest. I typically park inside a heated garage/parkade. I've never owned a Corvette longer than about 1.5 years so can't comment on their batteries, however with all the computers that run in the background, I suspect they're tough on batteries.

After 7+ years, my OEM battery is still going strong....hmmmm... maybe shouldn't have said that.... :Banghead:
Ya I just editted out my earlier comment stating 4/5 vehicles ... because of murphy's law making it 5/5.

Definitely good fortune on 7+ years - not sure if all of them was with heated storage
as environment might have a play for my early battery misfortunes according to a dealer.
... there is no heated storage options for me ... need to buy a garage with attached house (lol).

Lost my recent set after both failing load testing for a non-C-Gen dual battery setup ...
unless tendered, they lost ability to crank after 2 days of sitting - dang 5 year old batteries.

Also battery is officially 4 years old, date on it is 2018. And it had no handles on it so getting it out is like struggling with a lion. GM is out here trying to save every cent possible and compromise this car in any shape, way, or form... again :rolleyes:

But I'm surprised this battery is actually this mediocre and low quality for this type of car. I expected it to be something special like vibration resistant (AGM) given the stiff chassis, or literally anything good but it seems they took the cheapest possible option out there and stuck it in the car.

Yeah those who say this battery lasts long have better storage environments than me. Car sits out in the cold. Guess this battery is just not good at handling the cold at all.

Reactions: YFCvii
... it (battery) had no handles on it so getting it out is like struggling with a lion ...
Yup ... also wrestled with that pig just over a year ago and why I decided to write the DIY thread (link in reply #3 above).
Ended up breaking a piece off the vent tube because of not knowing any better ... fortunately it was a low priced part to replace.
Bought a battery strap (in the link) in order to do my other C7 ... and ready for 2026 now (lol) ... or longer 🙏🏻

So today I started my car normally, it hesitated just a bit but didn't mind it. Went to the gas station and after car refused to turn over. One of my headlights went out and all sorts of random stuff was going on with the electricals everything went haywire. Got it jump started and it works now. Weird

2019 and battery is already dead? Is that common? Is there a better battery than the OEM that won't die in the cold?

Also my infotainment screen is black and none of the USB ports work anymore. Gonna wait to see if they reset by tomorrow morning. Wtf just happened?
On our 3x Vette's over the past 40 years, I've tended to get 5-6 years out of the batteries. Pretty well the same for all our vehicles...except strangely for our current Subaru Forester...dealer had to replace it before the 3 year warranty was up...and then I had to replace it again 3 years after that. But I've put a Delco in there now, and those without fail seem to last the 5-6 years.

Don't forget that an automotive battery is designed around being on a "Float Charge" typically by driving the vehicle and the battery being recharged and or maintained at a float level on a fairly consistent basis. So it seems to me for longevity of your automotive battery you are either a "battery tender" advocate or you replace the battery every three to four years.

The original tendered battery in my C5 lasted 12 years or so. Second battery not tendered and allowed to heavily discharge lasted 2 years.

Changed the battery on my 2015 this summer. Engine start was beginning to hesitate and the fobs were acting a bit wonky (Can't detect the fob message). TBH, I was impressed that the factory AC Delco lasted that long, so I went ahead and replaced it with the same GM type. I do use a battery tender when I store the car every winter, but my garage is not heated.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Six plus years on my original battery in the GS. It does sit inside in a garage that does not get below freezing on the GM battery tender when not being driven. I'll probably change it next year if it lasts through this winter.

Replaced my original battery this year, after 7 years, with an OEM GM battery, do use a battery tender when put away for the winter and when not in use for periods of time. Hoping to get another 7 years.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I have C-Tek battery tender-maintainers on everything, from lawn tractors to cars, when they are not in use. Newer vehicles with all the advanced electronics and such all have a parasitic draw on the battery and it does need help to stay charged. I get good, long life out of my Delco batteries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread