Case75

High RPM Poster
2 You're 10
Jul 6, 2012
Earth
VetteCoins
Car
none right now.
Watching the Barrett Jackson 60 years of Corvette special on Speed Channel right now. Pretty cool. :D

I haven't seen the show you mentioned, so forgive this opinion piece that may be off topic.

Although extremely entertaining, Barrett-Jackson auctions have done a great disservice to car guys by elevating people's expectations about car worth. Every time they turn on a B-J auction, and see some old car roll across the stage at 100s of thousands of dollars, they think their rusted-out hulk in the back 40 is worth similar dollars.

The freely-flowing booze and the in-your-face auctioneer helpers work the egos of those frontline bidders until they can't say no, and the price ends up way over the top.

Check the asking price of some cars on Kijiji (and elsewhere). They must all be B-J beauties too. QUOTE: "Hey, I saw one just like this on B-J. I know what I've got." :rofl:

I haven't seen the show you mentioned, so forgive this opinion piece that may be off topic.

Although extremely entertaining, Barrett-Jackson auctions have done a great disservice to car guys by elevating people's expectations about car worth. Every time they turn on a B-J auction, and see some old car roll across the stage at 100s of thousands of dollars, they think their rusted-out hulk in the back 40 is worth similar dollars.

The freely-flowing booze and the in-your-face auctioneer helpers work the egos of those frontline bidders until they can't say no, and the price ends up way over the top.

Check the asking price of some cars on Kijiji (and elsewhere). They must all be B-J beauties too. QUOTE: "Hey, I saw one just like this on B-J. I know what I've got." :rofl:

Completely agree with you 67. Still an entertaining piece of fluff to watch. There was a low mileage '75 convertible that sold for north of $33,000. Even the hosts were shocked at that one. :rofl:

the only day of the auction that i truly enjoy is the opening day. at scottsdale i think it is tuesday. that's when you see cars that are more in step with regular folks before the high rollers get involved. beautiful vehicles,but more like art collections rather than hobby stuff. still,quite entertaining. :coolgleam:

I was at the B-J auction in Las Vegas (nowhere as big as Scottsdale). However, people need to see these cars in person to see how much work went into a lot of them. HOWEVER, I totally agree that B-J has pushed up the values of the collector cars beyond what the normal "car guy" can afford and put these cars into the hands of "collectors" that couldn't care less about the car, the history, the era and culture it was built in. Because of B-J, I can't afford that 68 Camaro or LS-6 Chevelle I always wanted as a kid (although years after the muscle car era, I'm not that old:rofl:....and I am jealous of those of you who are old enough to have lived through that era).

Anyway, the best thing B-J has done for these cars (and we should all appreciate this) is that the high value of these cars has created an aftermarket that has allowed many of these cars to survive or be restored where otherwise, they would have just turned to rust.

But in that breath too, my uncle restores Mopars. The days of traveling and wandering junkyards for for hours/days to find a piece of trim, glass, engine component are gone. Now you just call a number to get what you need which sort of takes away from the hobby and appreciation of the work that people put in to restore these cars.

I watch BJ all the time :canada: I enjoy it... BUT... I hate the reference, to a "nice driver" in the 80-125 grand range :mad: and the white 54 (in the 60th anniversary special)that sold for 65-67,000... they said was not restored!! a 2 owner car.... sure looked awful pretty for a non restored car... (2 cents)

Five of us (most are members here) went last January to the Scottsdale Arizona Barrett Jackson Auction.
Some of the cars that go early in the week, even on Thursday & Friday were a great deal. We saw cars go in the teens and low 20's that were very cool drivers. Many of them had probably double the amount invested, than what they sold for.
Sure BJ has raised the bar for numbers matching garage queens. Some of the high end bidders love the notoriety and TV time they get. But you can still find a very cool car for a reasonable price.
As car guys this event should be added to your bucket list. Plus you can't beat Scottsdale in January.
I plan on going again in a few years.:canada:

THE GANG

P1050622.jpg

We watched Bubba Watson (PGA Golfer) buy this one

P1050556.jpg

ON Stage with Ammy
P1050664.jpg

Wow, a gem just sold for $76k US at Barrett Jackson, Scottsdale :

A white '63 S/B window fuelie.

Been quite a few good buys this year. Prices seem much more down to earth this year.

Anyone else watching..............? Mark - I bet you are. :D

C.

Last edited:
Wow, a gem just sold for $76k US at Barrett Jackson, Scottsdale :

A white '63 S/B window fuelie.

Been quite a few good buys this year. Prices seem much more down to earth this year.

Anyone else watching..............? Mark - I bet you are. :D

C.

You bet I'm watching it. Prices were great the first couple of days.
I miss not being there again this year, planning on going back next year.
The gang from last year is getting together today for an afternoon / evening of BJ fun.:canada:

I've been watching when I can. A couple of real nice LT1 Vettes went through Thursday night; a 72 vert and a 71 coupe, both in blue. $48M for the vert and $57M for the coupe I believe. Rare '66 L79 Nova SS in yellow yesterday afternoon went for about $66M!!

i really enjoy the first day,although speed in my opinion, devotes way too much time to stupid crap. many of the cheaper cars are passing through the block while commentators are busy telling us all about the correct bumper bolts on a 56 vauxhall !!! :swear: i could see it if it was somehow related to advertising revenue.

i really enjoy the first day,although speed in my opinion, devotes way too much time to stupid crap. many of the cheaper cars are passing through the block while commentators are busy telling us all about the correct bumper bolts on a 56 vauxhall !!! :swear: i could see it if it was somehow related to advertising revenue.

Yeah between that and the f'n ads -- it's a bit of a chore but alas it's all we have -- until we find the time to attend.
I heard they converting to buildings and getting rid of the tents for next year.
It's about time.

I record it and watch it about an hour or 2 behind to skip thru the bs.

C.

just wait till nascar season and the annoying way TSN airs the same commercial over and over. one i counted 44 times through the course of a race. god i hate TSN and and the fact that the CRTC mandates pirating of the signal from american stations forcing me to watch TSN no matter what !!! well, there's my rant for the day so back to the cars boys !!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread