Aug 6, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette C4 1984
Province
ON
Hi All,

I have got the C4 home finally!

Trying to get the nasty smell out of it first of all..... Seats coming out tomorrow, need to find covers at a fair price.

I also need to repair the damage to the body work, things have moved on since I used to paint cars in the 1970s and 80s with cellulose paint.
There are large pieces of the Gelcoat that have liberated themselves from the body, so here is my question, I am going to try the repairs myself as I did many years ago - but I need some advice on what you recommend for the best 'filler' to use, things have moved on a little.

The damage to the hood is a different matter.... 454 under there with a very tall fuel injection setup, so one of the previous owners
cut a big hole in the hood and fitted the largest scoop known to man on there which has cracked away all down one side!!! this is goig to be a challenge.

Thanks
Steve

IMG_20201023_134042.jpg
IMG_20201023_134050.jpg
Rear Damage.jpg

Ordinarily I wouldn't comment on bodywork, but it seems that you haven't got an answer yet. What I would do if I was you is look at the marine world for answers. It looks like the base wasn't properly prepared. I would remove as much paint as possible, then rough sand the base well and fill in the areas with fine fiberglass filler, and file / sand it down to where it needs to be. Then I would apply some marine gelcoat on top of that and sand that smooth with the area around it. This becomes your new base to start with the paint prep work, i.e. primer and putty. You may have to fasten that scoop to the base hood a bit better to prevent it from moving around and cracking and dislodging the filler like it has. Long strand filler is good for this. Go to a marine repair shop and ask about some hints and tips to find out what they do with fiberglass repairs like this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.