Oct 30, 2010
Chilliwack, B.C
VetteCoins
Car
2007 Indy Pace Car
Hello all, wondering if anyone know of or have had an issue with their auto tranny shifter not going into gear from Park. Once the car is started and the brake is engaged there is no clicking of the tranny to get it into gear. I usually have to turn it off and on several times to engage and then once I put it into park I will not engage again until turn it off and restart after a time period, thanks for your help?

Hi 12.

There was a couple of times when i could not pull the shifter from Park to either Reverse or Drive. I was instructed to grip the shifter firmly, push it forward very firmly then pull it backwards to the gear you want.

Question; do you park on a slope or a hill?

• Useful
Reactions: Rruuff Day
It's a known issue for the shifter from 2005 4 speed to the 2006-2013 6 speed shifters. The cause of the issue is a small cheap Park solenoid microswitch that gets weak and doesn't always latch when the brake is pushed, to send a signal to the Park solenoid to energize and unlatch the locking pawl for the shifter. ( This small switch is directly in front of the shift lever) see the pics in the attached PDF.
Eventually, this microswitch will fail completely, and the shifter will be stuck in Park (hopefully at home)
Many of us that have experienced it early in ownership, have either replaced the $1.99 microswitch, or simply tied back the locking pawl with a wire whenever required. ( have the wire run to the center console so I can pull it to release the locking pawl whenever I need to)
I did not replace the microswitch, but bent the switch lever back a bit so it would hopefully give it more strength to latch as required.
I've had to use the wire a few times, but it is nice to know that I don't have to rely on the microswitch to work.
I may replace the microswitch one of these hibernation periods.
It can be purchased online or at an electronics store.
The hardest part of this job is removing the radio surround console, then pull up the shifter boot up to the shifter knob, then remove the shifter indicator to get at the microswitch, and the locking pawl.

Attachments

• Auto Shifter Stuck in Park or Unable to Get back to Park-Revised.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 685
Last edited:
That PDF is an awesome document. I have issue getting out of park, and have gone in and attached a wire to the pawl and snaked it into my console. I've also tried to attach a small rubber piece to the shifter shaft, which worked for a short time, as well as slightly bending the short arm on the solenoid contact limit switch in front of the shifter.
I've ordered couple of the solenoid contact limit switches, to replace the current one in front of the shifter, but I've been intimidated to replace it.
Do you know how that switch is held in place? I haven't been able to find any videos or diagrams of someone replacing it.
If someone wants to make a video replacing one, I can donate the particular switch, as I ordered an extra one.

Hello all, wondering if anyone know of or have had an issue with their auto tranny shifter not going into gear from Park. Once the car is started and the brake is engaged there is no clicking of the tranny to get it into gear. I usually have to turn it off and on several times to engage and then once I put it into park I will not engage again until turn it off and restart after a time period, thanks for your help?
Happened to me where I was locked in Park..Had to replace the whole shifter assembly for a small broken internal part....$900.

With my 2005 C6 I have had this problem for years and just live with it because I am hesitant to replace the microswitch myself and had some negative experience with mechanics in the past (seems whatever they work on , after putting the parts back together, things are not the same as they were before).

However, over time I have learned how to deal with the problem. First, it doesn't always happen but mostly it doesn't unlatch when I first start the car cold (why? I don't know). I found, that when I put the ignition in accessory mode, engage the brake, push the shifter slightly forward with my thumb, the locking pawl unlatches right away. I then shift to "neutral" before starting the car. Also, I found, if I start the car with the shifter in "park", it is only a matter of time until I hear the "click" that unlocks the shifter. However, this sometimes takes up to half a minute. I cant remember when I actually had to turn off and restart the car to get it out of "park". So these methods work.

However - and here is the big "However": If that microswitch fails completely, there will be a huge problem unless I am in my own garage. Probably have to get the car towed to a repair shop from wherever it is (my greatest nightmare) and watch a bunch of strange mechanics tare apart my center console - ouch! At the very least, it will require a lot of $$$....

Has anyone experienced a complete failure of the solenoid microswitch? What happened then and how did you solve the problem? I doubt, that most repair shops - save GM dealers or Corvette specialty shops - are even aware of this issue with the C6.

What are your thoughts on this?

With my 2005 C6 I have had this problem for years and just live with it because I am hesitant to replace the microswitch myself and had some negative experience with mechanics in the past (seems whatever they work on , after putting the parts back together, things are not the same as they were before).

However, over time I have learned how to deal with the problem. First, it doesn't always happen but mostly it doesn't unlatch when I first start the car cold (why? I don't know). I found, that when I put the ignition in accessory mode, engage the brake, push the shifter slightly forward with my thumb, the locking pawl unlatches right away. I then shift to "neutral" before starting the car. Also, I found, if I start the car with the shifter in "park", it is only a matter of time until I hear the "click" that unlocks the shifter. However, this sometimes takes up to half a minute. I cant remember when I actually had to turn off and restart the car to get it out of "park". So these methods work.

However - and here is the big "However": If that microswitch fails completely, there will be a huge problem unless I am in my own garage. Probably have to get the car towed to a repair shop from wherever it is (my greatest nightmare) and watch a bunch of strange mechanics tare apart my center console - ouch! At the very least, it will require a lot of $$$....

Has anyone experienced a complete failure of the solenoid microswitch? What happened then and how did you solve the problem? I doubt, that most repair shops - save GM dealers or Corvette specialty shops - are even aware of this issue with the C6.

I had problems where I could not get the shifter out of park. replaced the whole shifter no problems now. $900.

I tied mine back when as soon as I faced the issue and never had to worry ever again, gave me peace of mind.

You should also change your A6 transmission cable as a preventive measure if you haven't done so. That will also fail without any warning, just an fyi.

@Area Z51
Thanks for your good illustrations. I am now ready to replace the microswitch. On your 3rd and 4th pics there are the solenoid limit switch, the park position limit switch and the transmission lock out solenoid, Which of the three do I have to replace? Many thanks! PB

is this the switch I need to replace? Thanks!

switch.png

That PDF is an awesome document. I have issue getting out of park, and have gone in and attached a wire to the pawl and snaked it into my console. I've also tried to attach a small rubber piece to the shifter shaft, which worked for a short time, as well as slightly bending the short arm on the solenoid contact limit switch in front of the shifter.
I've ordered couple of the solenoid contact limit switches, to replace the current one in front of the shifter, but I've been intimidated to replace it.
Do you know how that switch is held in place? I haven't been able to find any videos or diagrams of someone replacing it.
If someone wants to make a video replacing one, I can donate the particular switch, as I ordered an extra one.

can you tell me where you ordered the solenoid contact limit switches please and the part #

is this the switch I need to replace? Thanks!

View attachment 43221
That is indeed the switch to replace, the one in front of the shift lever. The switch can be purchased at any electronic store, or ordered on ebay or online at Radio Shack.
The N/O SPDT rated 5 amps at 250VAC and has a body size of 3/4x1/4x3/8" (20mm x 6mm x 10 mm)

Reactions: vt65
Unbelievable but true! Tried to order this little micro-switch directly from GM today and guess what !? they will not sell just the micro-switch alone but only the whole shifter assembly wich includes the micro switch. That is really rotten .......:mad:

I had the same problem. It is an easy DIY fix if you replace the shifter. There is a solenoid that gets weak.
I ordered the shifter online from Corvette Depot. Approximately $350. No duty.
Lots of YouTube videos.
Try to have the shifter in neutral before you start. It makes it easy to get the console shroud off.
Take your time getting the shroud off, some of the electoral connections are difficult to access the undo clips. If you know what you are doing it should take roughly 30 minutes but I took my time and had the console parts off in about 2.5 hours. I didn’t break anything,(yay).
the shifter is simple, four bolts, one electrical connection and disconnect the shifter cable.
Replace in reverse order.

I just broke the black plastic hook latch off, and never had a problem again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.