C6 Owner
Apr 30, 2012
Ontario
Best answers
Car
2005 C6 1SB
Reactions
449 2 0
I still have the Telefunken real to real tape recorder and tuner amplifier that I bought in 1968 along with a pair of big speakers. I need to dig them out and set them up in the rec room. I was told that Telefunken invented the tape recorder. I could play my i-pod music through the FM radio. HMMMMM.

Last edited:

Jeremiad

Regular
C6 Owner
May 19, 2016
Airdrie
Best answers
Car
2006 Z51
Reactions
530 5 0
Wow Graham, you have some really cool old stuff! The glow from the tubes is such a beautiful thing! So much cooler than a lava lamp!

I love old audio, but I was never allowed to make noise in the house, so I was more interested in making noise in a car which could be moved far away from my disapproving stepfather. Back in the late eighties and nineties when domestic car audio components were absolute junk, I had a lot of fun replacing head units and speakers, and adding amps, equalizers, and separate components.

I helped a buddy of mine build a crazy system in his Toyota extended cab pickup with a cab-through (cut through the cab and the front of the box) speaker and amp install to house an 18" sub behind the driver seat and a 15" sub behind the passenger seat. 137db is nothing by today's standards, but in the early 90's it was staggering enough that testers were afraid to stay in the vehicle to get a reading over 130, lol. I have a fond memory of standing in the box of the truck with the remote control, and using the bass of the music to flip loonies on the roof of the truck. We closed the windows in an attempt to get a loonie to do a double-flip, and blew the back window out of the truck. To wit.... the window didn't break. The bass pounded so hard that it pushed the window out of the seal, and it dropped down between the cab and the box. Luckily, the speaker box was just a few inches below the glass so it couldn't break, but let me tell you, it was a hell of a lot more difficult to get the window back in than it was to get it out.

ddgermann

Power User
Beta
C7 Owner
Jul 1, 2017
Edmonton
Best answers
Car
2017 3LZ Z06 Z07
Reactions
3,102 11 0
Wow Graham, you have some really cool old stuff! The glow from the tubes is such a beautiful thing! So much cooler than a lava lamp!

I love old audio, but I was never allowed to make noise in the house, so I was more interested in making noise in a car which could be moved far away from my disapproving stepfather. Back in the late eighties and nineties when domestic car audio components were absolute junk, I had a lot of fun replacing head units and speakers, and adding amps, equalizers, and separate components.

I helped a buddy of mine build a crazy system in his Toyota extended cab pickup with a cab-through (cut through the cab and the front of the box) speaker and amp install to house an 18" sub behind the driver seat and a 15" sub behind the passenger seat. 137db is nothing by today's standards, but in the early 90's it was staggering enough that testers were afraid to stay in the vehicle to get a reading over 130, lol. I have a fond memory of standing in the box of the truck with the remote control, and using the bass of the music to flip loonies on the roof of the truck. We closed the windows in an attempt to get a loonie to do a double-flip, and blew the back window out of the truck. To wit.... the window didn't break. The bass pounded so hard that it pushed the window out of the seal, and it dropped down between the cab and the box. Luckily, the speaker box was just a few inches below the glass so it couldn't break, but let me tell you, it was a hell of a lot more difficult to get the window back in than it was to get it out.
Now that’s a cool story. Bass like that could bust a weak artery let alone pop out a window. That would have been unprecedented booming bass at that time for sure. Even today it ranks right up there. :thumbs:

OP
OP
nascar03

nascar03

Power User
C5 Owner
C3 Owner
Jan 27, 2009
Township of Langley, BC
Best answers
Car
1975 coupe/2003 vert
Reactions
1,921 3 0
I’ve built some car-audio systems over the years but nothing that blew-out any windows..
These days the preferred car audio for me is ZZ4 & The FlowMasters... or Dynatech & the Corsa Extremes..
with the tops off or down depending on the car.

Graham

turbozig

It's not just a car, it's a state of mind
Regular
C7 Owner
Jun 21, 2011
Edmonton
Best answers
Car
1970 & 2015 Stingray
Reactions
1,541 4 0
I’ve built some car-audio systems over the years but nothing that blew-out any windows..
These days the preferred car audio for me is ZZ4 & The FlowMasters... or Dynatech & the Corsa Extremes..
with the tops off or down depending on the car.

Graham
Mine are a pair of chambered exhausts on the 454 70'. Beautiful notes come out of those.

Rruuff Day

Staff member
Power User
Beta
C7 Owner
Aug 30, 2014
Pine Lake, Alberta
Best answers
Car
C7 3LT ZF1
Reactions
4,214 9 0
137db is nothing by today's standards, but in the early 90's it was staggering enough that testers were afraid to stay in the vehicle to get a reading over 130, lol. I have a fond memory of standing in the box of the truck with the remote control, and using the bass of the music to flip loonies on the roof of the truck. We closed the windows in an attempt to get a loonie to do a double-flip, and blew the back window out of the truck. .

"Doctor, I think I’m going deaf!"
"What are the symptoms?"

"It’s a show about a little yellow family, but what has that got to do with my hearing?" :rolleyes:

Black 03 Z06

Staff member
Power User
C5 Owner
Top Poster Of Month
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
Best answers
Car
2003 Z06
Reactions
4,429 11 0
:Funnypost:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)