Good and bad in all of them Kerry. Not necessarily a Ford guy but I have a 21 year old Ford 7.3 L, 6 spd manual Diesel that I bought new in 99. Has 200k on it now and other than a water pump two weeks ago, it has been a great truck and still looks like new...

View attachment 35576
I do like the Ford GT, but at a half a mill I wont be getting one. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: ABC
I do like the Ford GT, but at a half a mill I wont be getting one. LOL.
lol..... I wouldn't be a fan at that price either but in all honesty, if I had that much mad money kicking around, I would still rather have two Vettes. My current C7 for my trip cruiser and a 67 L88 for my town cruiser.... The left over change would finish and heat the other 3 bays in my shop for a place to park everything.

Reactions: kerry4
Several years ago we went to the annual Plunket Car show in London. There was a pair of red GT's there. I couldn't stop looking at them even though there was thousands of other very nice cars to see. The best show I have even been to but was a lot of walking. Don't think we saw even half of what was there before we got to tired.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Several years ago we went to the annual Plunket Car show in London. There was a pair of red GT's there. I couldn't stop looking at them even though there was thousands of other very nice cars to see. The best show I have even been to but was a lot of walking. Don't think we saw even half of what was there before we got to tired.

They are eye catchers for sure but a bit batman look from the rear and I'm not really a fan of the exhaust note... And now I will wait to catch hell from all the GT lovers.... hahahahaha....
:Lurk5:

• Haha
Reactions: kerry4
First Vette at 53. '19 Z06 Z07 3LT. I've never really been a Vette guy but love the '63 split window.

Why a Vette now? Built a Factory Five Cobra in 2000 that I autocrossed for a lot of years. When it was time to replace it I wanted a sports car to do some track days, some autocross and maybe some time attack. Lol and something with a roof since time and kids have made the sun an enemy of my head after losing my hair.

First and foremost I'm a sportscar guy and you just can't buy more sportscar for the dollar than the Vette!

I was never really attracted by Corvettes as I lived in the Northern part of Quebec where we hardly saw any. I used to be a Mustang guy.

When I was 25 though, I saw my first blue C7 Stingray driving down a Saskatchewan road. I thought to myself this was the most amazing car I had ever seen... plus... it would look so good in red. I planned on getting one and did lots of research on similar cars. In my opinion there was nothing available on the market that even came close to that great of a car for similar price. Ended up ordering it in red two years later, at 27.

The only bad side I could see with the Vette was huge depreciation. When I went for my 1st drive it came to me as a revelation: I would keep that car for as long as I live. That solved it.... :)

Sadly, I've never owned a Vette but the new C8 has made it irresistible; hence my (now even sadder) much coveted COVID-delayed 2020 Vette.

But like so many others, I've forever enjoyed cars and I've always looked wistfully at Corvettes:

-from age 12 when 2 of my small town's most attractive young 18 year old ladies were cruising around top-down in a C4 convertible; only to both come to a sad end later that same summer while driving it back from a bush party after drinking too much (sigh; what a waste and I'm not referring to the car, although that too was wasted);
-at age 20 when working up in Northern Alberta doing gas pipeline work and the pipeline contractor purchased a new Corvette coupe as a first car for his then 17 year old totally spoiled daughter. Her habit was to incessantly drive it up and down the town's one main street. I can still "see it" in my mind's eye. Fortunately I came back to Edmonton at the end of that summer and before she had any problems with the car. I'll always wonder if she managed to avoid having an accident with it;
-at age 39 when the vastly changed C5 was introduced. My buddy who was a GM executive proudly brought me from his backyard BBQ to the back alley where he'd parked his new blue C5 coupe "executive driven car" and allowed me to test drive it. What a car! The only draw back was going over Calgary's then pavement expansion joints which caused an irritating "jolt" when crossing over them. Actually, the bigger draw back was having a wife and 3 young children and not being able to afford buying one!
-at age 57 when a friend surprisingly allowed me to drive his brand new C7 (purchased just days earlier) where I was especially mesmerized by its Head's Up Display (HUD) and had to politely resist accelerating to any degree.

I hope at age 61 to complete the story, with my first Corvette...

So for everyone else on this thread, lucky you!

I was 29 yrs old In 1982 ...
Occasionally needed a second car in the family and I choose our ‘75 coupe.
During those times is was fitted with snow tires and narrow tires up front in the winter and often went to Bev/my work.
It was autocrossed and taken to car shows as well All over Western Canada.
After a few years it became the garage queen getting new paint(‘89) and other mods.
Still have the car today. We have put 120,000 miles on it having all sorts of fun.
Even though we got an ‘03 Vert a few years ago the ‘75 will always be here.

graham

I had dreamed of driving one since a neighbor down the street let me sit in his yellow '74 with the LS4 454 when I was 10 years old. The infatuation grew over the years until I was lucky enough to buy my first, a new 2017 Grand Sport 3LT w/Z07 when I was 31 years old.

Unfortunately I had a ton of issues with that one, and GM Canada actually bought it back from me as a lemon. I had to persist and bought the blue one in my avatar - same model, but different colour. Still can't believe it is mine when I see it sitting in the garage.

I had dreamed of driving one since a neighbor down the street let me sit in his yellow '74 with the LS4 454 when I was 10 years old. The infatuation grew over the years until I was lucky enough to buy my first, a new 2017 Grand Sport 3LT w/Z07 when I was 31 years old.

Unfortunately I had a ton of issues with that one, and GM Canada actually bought it back from me as a lemon. I had to persist and bought the blue one in my avatar - same model, but different colour. Still can't believe it is mine when I see it sitting in the garage.

Thanks for the interesting story and a couple of comments:

-you should consider "paying it forward" and allow a 10 year old-ish "up-and-coming car nut" to sit in your beautiful C7; to help foster yet another generation of Corvette owners;
-your first C7 have been an absolutely TERRIBLE lemon for GM to buy it back from you; wow. That story isn't too common.

Welcome to the Forum!

I have been a car person since I was 6 years old and would ride my bike to the church parking lot on Sundays and look for the "New" Chevrolet in the lot. Back then you could look at the tail lights and it had the year of the car in the plastic lens.
First car a 58 Chev. Corvettes were out of my pay range, so I never thought I could own one. Owned a 1969 Camaro Convertible, 2002 Anniversary Camaro convertible. After driving down to Palm Springs with a friend with a 2009 Grand Sport, I was 60 when I knew it was my time to get one. First was a 2009 Crystal Red Corvette Convertible, 2009 silver coup, 2016 Blade Silver coup and now a 2019 Grand Sport Convertible.
Happy, Happy, Happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: OL Yeller
Thanks for the interesting story and a couple of comments:

-you should consider "paying it forward" and allow a 10 year old-ish "up-and-coming car nut" to sit in your beautiful C7; to help foster yet another generation of Corvette owners;
-your first C7 have been an absolutely TERRIBLE lemon for GM to buy it back from you; wow. That story isn't too common.

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the welcome!

Absolutely! Already have had some of the kids on our block around for a drive, and made them help me with putting my track wheels/tires on. Gotta get them pulling wrenches early!

Ya, the had issues with the AFM valves melting over and over again (went through four sets of them in less than 6k kms). Filed an CAMVAP complaint and simultaneously emailed the VP and President of GM Canada. Two days later the VP reached out to me and said I would hear from someone shortly to sort it out. Got another call a few days later to sort out the buyback process. I wish it was smooth sailing with the new one, having melted the valves 3 times already. But hopefully the fix from last year will be a final fix (have had three track days so far with no troubles yet).

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Interesting question. When I was a much younger fella I admired the corvettes of the day and having a bit of a jealous bone was known to grumble about how that old so and so could have such a nice car. Fast forward a whole lot of years and I purchased mine about five years ago as a project ( and not completely happy that I didn't have GM to swear at, my life isn't complete without a GM in the garage to curse ) and now I laugh at myself as I cruise her around town and think " your now that old so and so with a corvette"

LOL
BTW make it 49 when I was finally able to purchase my pain in the ass, after hounding the previous owner two solid years to sell it to me

Last edited:
Interesting question. When I was a much younger fella I admired the corvettes of the day and having a bit of a jealous bone was known to grumble about how that old so and so could have such a nice car. Fast forward a whole lot of years and I purchased mine about five years ago as a project ( and not completely happy that I didn't have GM to swear at, my life isn't complete without a GM in the garage to curse ) and now I laugh at myself as I cruise her around town and think " your now that old so and so with a corvette"

LOL
BTW make it 49 when I was finally able to purchase my pain in the ass, after hounding the previous owner two solid years to sell it to me

LOL, nice story. I'm now completely "grey haired" however (no word of a lie) have been since prematurely turning grey by age 40. It's something the males are blessed with in my family but the upside is we keep ALL our hair until "death do us part". Anyways, I've already had visions of what others will think when they see this "61-year-young" grey-haired old fogey driving in a C8 convertible with its top down and full head of hair blowing in the wind with a big grin. Or better yet, being pulled over and issued one of the many speeding tickets I always seem to get (no grin with those).

I recall being pulled over while riding a new Honda Gold Wing many years ago. The ticket proved invalid since the 2 young cops were too interested in my bike and left the year of the ticket blank. I was none too happy answering all their questions but much happier when I got home and reviewed the ticket. Lucky me. If only I have that same luck with the C8...

Reactions: OL Yeller and ABC
So I am late to the party in Vette ownership. This pending C8 is my first vette. In terms of age. Do you mean when we put the order in? or when we get it? I have a two year spread there. haha. So lets deal in round numbers and leave it at 55 years old. Why now? and Why a Vette? They say timing is everything. At this point in my life, I have reached a level of financial freedom that allows me to make such a purchase. My obligations to my children are done, and with more miles likely behind me than in front of me, I desired to have a fun car. As a child, my sister had two C3's. So the vettes were in our family past. I have always loved the vettes of all years. I was really tempted to pull the trigger on the C7 in the Laguna Blue. We had a family wedding a few years back held on the beach in Laguna and it was a memorable family vacation. So the colour name struck a chord. But I held off as I knew from some early leaks of the mid engine coming. I had decided back in 2017 that the C8 was the one I wanted to get. Growing up watching Magnum PI with Tom Selleck driving around Hawaii in his red Ferrari 308 fed my fantasy of exotic cars. Followed the F1's and Molson Indy. As I worked in the extended GM Family I have owned GM cards exclusively for the past 35 years. Company cars mostly, but continued with the brand when I left the auto sector. I have a belief in supporting local. Yes I know that transplants are now local too.
So why this car? I knew it would be the best bang for the buck corvette to ever be made. GM needed a Halo car. with the Caddy brand in trouble and not likely to go toe to toe with BMW or Mercs. Putting the money in the Vette development was a smart move. Providing an exotic super car contender at this pricepoint could shake the market up. I would think that they correctly found the sweet spot of not completely alienating their base of loyal Corvette enthusiasts, while being able to appeal to the euro-centric buyer of Audi's, Porsches, and others. I think 100K is a magic pricepoint (CND) I would not spend 150K or 200K on a sports car. But this one hits the right value proposition.

At 18 years old, I bought a used 1991 Z28. Loved the car and had it for many years, but quickly realized, that was a stepping stone and had the Vette, in my sights. Fast forward 25 years, after many family cars, I got my chance.
In fact, it was my 20 year wedding anniversary when my wife and I had an extravagant Tahiti vacation planned, when I made the ever repeating statement, "Well.... there goes my Vette again", considering the questionable expense of the trip. On a whim, I suggested we scrap the Tahiti trip, go buy a Vette and cruise the Oregon coast, over to Grand Canyon, etc... she agreed! So at 43, I got my first Vette!

Well, no one has posted here in some time, but nevertheless, the question has been asked, and I must answer...lol
Ever since I was a kid and I still remember seeing my first 'stingray' Corvette.
I have ALWAYS desired this generation of Vette.
The C3.
As a career change was imminent, at 40 years of age, 2001, I bought my first Corvette. Navy Blue 1981.
Gave me little grief. It was an awesome vehicle!
here it is, 20 years later, my second '81 Vette!
Love the car, but giving me grief....more on that, in the C3 thread.
THAT, is my story...
Thx :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.