Hi all. I was wondering what made you choose to buy a Corvette? There are lots of sports cars out there, so, why the ‘Vette? Had you tried other sports cars first?
Personally, I had loved and wanted one since I was a kid, and it finally happened, very recently.
I would always say that if I won the lottery, I would have a new ‘Vette the next day. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mclaren, etc, are nice, but I would still gravitate to the Corvette. I just LOVE them.
There is a movie called “I am Legend”, where Will Smith is the only person left in a city full of zombie like creatures. He ended up driving a new Mustang. I would always think that if that was me, I would be heading down to the Chevy dealership and pick me out a new ‘Vette.
Sorry for the rant, but any replies would be appreciated. :)
Dale.
In high school 1956/7, a great 13 r arrived in the spring with a 56 vetter convertible, a birthday present, imagine that. My tongue has hung out for years! Another good friend bought a 72 convertible from Boyer Apsley and still has it. Our good cottage friend had a 79 coupe and down the lane, Reeves had a 59 convertible for years and immaculate. So Corvettes have. ben in my thoughts for years. My car buys total over 40. My wife really did not want one. Well, lo and behold, this past June, I said, going to look at a C6/08, she said, I'm coming. Hey made the deal with a young guy with a pregnant wife, right on the spot. It is immaculate and we are enjoying it like I never thought possible. Several cruises, especially, the Niagara cruises with Denis and now we have it in Florida for the winter, Transporting it here and will drive it home through the mountains, via Pittsburgh, Buffalo in late April.
Oh, the punch line, I am 78, so, it is never too late to buy your first Corvette.

In high school 1956/7, a great 13 r arrived in the spring with a 56 vetter convertible, a birthday present, imagine that. My tongue has hung out for years! Another good friend bought a 72 convertible from Boyer Apsley and still has it. Our good cottage friend had a 79 coupe and down the lane, Reeves had a 59 convertible for years and immaculate. So Corvettes have. ben in my thoughts for years. My car buys total over 40. My wife really did not want one. Well, lo and behold, this past June, I said, going to look at a C6/08, she said, I'm coming. Hey made the deal with a young guy with a pregnant wife, right on the spot. It is immaculate and we are enjoying it like I never thought possible. Several cruises, especially, the Niagara cruises with Denis and now we have it in Florida for the winter, Transporting it here and will drive it home through the mountains, via Pittsburgh, Buffalo in late April.
Oh, the punch line, I am 78, so, it is never too late to buy your first Corvette.
You are right about that last sentence. I was one month shy of my 81st birthday when I bought my 1989 C4 convertible with 49,000 miles on the odometer. My first Corvette, after three BMW's (328ic, Z4, M6), Jaguar XK8, Porsche Boxster S, Mercedes SLK.

Attachments

• CORVETTE DRIVEWAY EVENING (6).JPG
    CORVETTE DRIVEWAY EVENING (6).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
I'm 75 now, and hope to have a C8 by next summer, (Placed deposit Feb, 2020). My first new car was a '66 Mustang convertible, red. In between daily drivers, got a Dodge Stealth turbo in '95. More recently, a few Charger SRT's, including a Hellcat. A friend got new C7 in 2020, took me for a ride, I decided I needed one, but mid engine.
1636911401275.png

Last edited:
Always loved cars and bikes had many ive had three vettes a c4 c5 and now a c7 love it some day maybe a c8

Attachments

• D8DB5948-25F0-47FE-B9A6-A1994ABB47FB.jpeg
    D8DB5948-25F0-47FE-B9A6-A1994ABB47FB.jpeg
    602.8 KB · Views: 16
  • E215D17B-5674-4622-8C6A-78437DFF9092.jpeg
    E215D17B-5674-4622-8C6A-78437DFF9092.jpeg
    611.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 69FA7793-1A22-438C-AFF2-5D08B07AB87F.jpeg
    69FA7793-1A22-438C-AFF2-5D08B07AB87F.jpeg
    417.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 2BDE0D2E-7695-4E7C-9A77-D461743F0862.jpeg
    2BDE0D2E-7695-4E7C-9A77-D461743F0862.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Hmmmmm..."what" and "why"?

Had never given it much thought 'til now. Sadly, I was already 58 y.o. and had carried the dream with me for all of my lifetime.... almost. The dream probably started around 10 y.o. during the bedroom poster era. Later my best buddy had a couple of 70's vettes in High school, mostly fixer uppers at that time, and another buddy got the the '78 25th anniversary edition as a birthday gift (must be nice to have that kinda Dad and cash in the family...I did not). So yah, I was pretty envious of my buddies (and I guess all of you guys and girls here as well) but never told 'em that.

For me it was a brand new C7 Stingray LT2 all black, bought new in spring of 2019 and I am grateful I had the opportunity after my kids were educated, grown up and on their own to finally realize a childhood dream. As background, I had a heart attack in 2010 so since then have always felt I was on borrowed time and started dreaming again but never all that seriously.

It wasn't until '19 that a work colleague bought himself a C6 as fun thing to do that I got the bug again. Went for my own test drive in a C7, the car fit which I though it might not, it was pretty awesome in all respects, and I have to say it was the very best thing I have ever done for myself, and is a major factor that helped me and my wife in getting through the COVID isolation that was to follow and still exists to some degree. Loved the Stingray so much but the dream was really a Z06 and I came across one while killing COVID time on my iPad in January 2020 and it was a new 2LZ, all black outside and two tone red and black inside. Brand new with 21km of test drive on it. It took me all of 10 minutes of reading and an e-mail to the dealership contact to decide. We did the deal entirely on line and by telephone. Traded-in and had them deliver new Z06/take away Stingray by flatbed between snowfalls that winter. For a brief moment in time I owned two of them (see pics), LOL.

Then.......... had to wait 'til spring and first flush of salts off the roads before I could drive it. Let me tell you that was painful!

Two years later and on the back end of coronary bypass surgery recovery; yah, getting older has its challenges; but lucky again; it's end of winter almost, and same feeling........ excruciating waiting for first flush and the first open road day of '22 but it's almost vette time and I'm excited about that.

Other pics are Stingray on Father's day '19 with my son-in laws, they are Camaro fans, and the Z06 on its own last fall.

Attachments

• 20200131_115303.jpg
    20200131_115303.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20190616_124018.jpg
    20190616_124018.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210918_190638.jpg
    20210918_190638.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Hi all. I was wondering what made you choose to buy a Corvette? There are lots of sports cars out there, so, why the ‘Vette? Had you tried other sports cars first?
Personally, I had loved and wanted one since I was a kid, and it finally happened, very recently.
I would always say that if I won the lottery, I would have a new ‘Vette the next day. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mclaren, etc, are nice, but I would still gravitate to the Corvette. I just LOVE them.
There is a movie called “I am Legend”, where Will Smith is the only person left in a city full of zombie like creatures. He ended up driving a new Mustang. I would always think that if that was me, I would be heading down to the Chevy dealership and pick me out a new ‘Vette.
Dale.
I am a car guy. I have owned 46 vehicles , at least, by now. I have bought multiple Mustang GTs , which I enjoyed but when I saw the C8 Htc , I had to have one. I always wanted a Porsche but could not afford it. So I ordered a C8 when I was 62 because it was my dream car at a reasonable price. I waited a year , and then lost patience with GM and bought a C7 CONVERTIBLE . I am still on my dealers list, for a C8, in 2nd position. I thought, wow, this C7, is the best car I have ever owned , I loved it. I put it up for sale and sadly , because I thought I was getting my C8 by April, for me, it sold in 3 weeks , so no car , again, when spring rolls around. My dealer thinks by June , now. I should of bought a Vette , way before but I was a Ford man , like my dad. I would buy GM products and Japanese cars and always had trouble with them but when I owned Fords , never had to go to a garage, they were flawless. So this my story , short version. ; )

Circa 1958 and looking out my tiny bedroom window was a shiny new Vette picking up my older sister for a date...WOW, was I impressed, even 8 years old. Zoom ahead ten years later and there was my best friend whose Dad owned a Chev/Olds dealership in my driveway with a trade-in 1958 Vette. I was "hooked" and didn't even know it until a few years later I started buying Corvettes. One day my wife said to me, "what car do you dream of?" She wanted me to sell my current ride. I said without equivocation, "a Vette!" She asked if maybe a Ferrari might do and I declined.

I still own a C5 ragtop which I absolutely love and now and C8 Z51 HTC which is "spooky" good! Both are hopped up in the performance side and enjoy forged wheels etc, but other than this are true to their breed. Vettes are simply not only attainable but very special. Ferrari, et al are great, but hideous to drive anywhere, I have tried them and love the looks but not the reality of actually banging down the street in them. The Vette is in a different class, comfortable to drive across the country or down to the store, scary fast (especially the C8) and after spending a couple of days at the Spring Mountain Track in Nevada and track time at the Area 21 Track I can accurately say they can handle the track and win!

Happy Motoring!

You are right about that last sentence. I was one month shy of my 81st birthday when I bought my 1989 C4 convertible with 49,000 miles on the odometer. My first Corvette, after three BMW's (328ic, Z4, M6), Jaguar XK8, Porsche Boxster S, Mercedes SLK.
I forgot to mention that we also have a 2003 Mazda Miata with less than 32,000 KM summer KMs. We have enjoyed the Miata for eight years, and it replaced a 1993 Miata which we had for two years prior to that. My first sports car was a 1963 Morgan 4/4 which I purchased in Europe in 1964 and had modified at the factory in England before bringing it to Canada. Unfortunately, I could not afford to keep it and also get married in 1966, so I had to sell it and wait for another 46 years to get back into sports car ownership and enjoyment. The poplar trees in the background of the Morgan photo have long since died and gone, and probably the Morgan as well, but I am still going strong. So far = So good.

Attachments

• APR.19 MIATA AND FLOWERS (9).JPG
    APR.19 MIATA AND FLOWERS (9).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • MORGAN SCAN.jpg
    MORGAN SCAN.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 14
I forgot to mention that we also have a 2003 Mazda Miata with less than 32,000 KM summer KMs. We have enjoyed the Miata for eight years, and it replaced a 1993 Miata which we had for two years prior to that. My first sports car was a 1963 Morgan 4/4 which I purchased in Europe in 1964 and had modified at the factory in England before bringing it to Canada. Unfortunately, I could not afford to keep it and also get married in 1966, so I had to sell it and wait for another 46 years to get back into sports car ownership and enjoyment. The poplar trees in the background of the Morgan photo have long since died and gone, and probably the Morgan as well, but I am still going strong. So far = So good.
David, you just reminded me of my very first car here in Ontario. It was in 1962 or '63, I bought a '59 Austin Healey bug-eye Sprite roadster. Thinking back, it was like a big toy car but it actually ran. It had the tiniest 4 cylinder I had ever seen, 948 cc making a whopping 43 HP. Fun to drive but wouldn't start when the humidity went above 50%.
The memory of it will make me appreciate the C8 all the more. I'm taking delivery this coming Wednesday, just after my birthday on Sunday. I expect I'll get some double takes when people see an old fogey like me get out of it in a parking lot. That's ok.

Dale.
I was always a fan of both the mustang and corvette with the nod going to the corvette since being a teenager. Bought my first one when I was 33 Y.O. here in Vancouver - a used 79 red on red with smoked glass T-Top & S.T.. Got married, moved to Richmond, sold it to a policeman who pulled me over just to view my car. Moved to West Van. - bought a 96 collector edition vert with A.T., traded it on a new 2007 Shelby G.T. 500 vert - drove for six years, sold it, bought a 2003 C5 vert with 17,000 km on it, kept. for 3 years, traded it on a new C7 vert, drove it for 51/2 years, traded in on a new 2022 C8 Z51 HTC which I took delivery on in Oct. 2021. They all were special rides which I enjoyed driving very much. The C8 has been amazing - only 1800 km on it right now. I am looking forward to a few cruises this year.;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.