Nice little article with some good points to think about before heading south. Not too sure about the thought that it is not worth importing vehicles that are under $30K. There are a ton of deals on vehicles under this price point. It should more read that you should make sure the saving are great enough to make it work the time to bring vehicles across.

Excellent article.

The saving on $30K plus vehicles is huge. Getting the cars here is actually very straight forward, if you don't want to do it yourself. When I was looking in the states, I called a shipping company called Hansen's and they quoted me a price for delivery and said that a brokage firm they dealt with could take care of the importation issues for a small fee of $250.00 plus all applicable taxes at the time.

The other issue with important cars is warranty. GM will warranty new models once they have meet certain parameters.

So, purchasing a Corvette in the state isn't a bad move given the cost savings, as well as the fact that you can still get warranty on them. :D

It's actually quite a dilemma or at least I find it a hard decision. I really want to support my fellow Canadians as much as possible but how far should you go to maintain this? It's hard to justify spending extra money when you can save so much to the south.

Right now it's a no brainier decision.
With the dollar hovering around par, you can save a bundle even after taxes shipping and duty.

I was surfing around the for sale sections of some of the other corvette related US based web sites and there are some pretty good deals to be had.

Ie: 2008 Z06 / 2LZ package loaded with all the options including Nav, 3600 miles, $6000.00 worth of documented & listed add-ons, extended warranty, better than new.
For $53,995.00

I would be surprised if we could find the same car here for even close to this price.
I would love to find one here also, but you have to look out for you own good :canada:

So, to your door price, that would be $54,000 + tax ($5400) + RIV fee ($300) + A/C tax (100) + Provincial Inspection ($300) + your time if you brought it up yourself.

So to find a similar car in Canada, you'd be comparable at roughly $60,000. Then again, there is tax if you bought it at a dealership (or half the tax in SK) and a provincial inspection if purchased out of province. $57,000.

Gerbie had or has an '07 like the one you described with 17K on it for $54,000 which is within spitting distance.

I'm not saying there are not sweet deals in the States...that's where I bought my car. I'm just saying if both cars were the same price or close enough, I would buy the Canadian one....but then again, I'm sure so would everyone else.

There is one in Calgary with 14k on it... an 08 for asking 62k. The one I like is an 07 in Vancouver with full heads and cam and 35 k in mods for 55 with 700 horse lol. If that's done by a reputable shop... That's the one I like! These are all on kijiji. Private deals, no tax
[mob][/mob]

There is one in Calgary with 14k on it... an 08 for asking 62k. The one I like is an 07 in Vancouver with full heads and cam and 35 k in mods for 55 with 700 horse lol. If that's done by a reputable shop... That's the one I like! These are all on kijiji. Private deals, no tax
[mob][/mob]

If bought in the US, no sales tax either when the car will be going out of state, but when you get you new plates, either vehicle is taxed HST + PST. I saved $8,000 by buying in the states. The only difference is with a car coming into Canada from the US, the customs charges the 5% GST at the border, and the PST is paid when you get the new plates. The saving was after the RIV price that was required for importation. I didn't have to pay the AC charge. Hard to justify $8000.00 extra to buy in Canada. The warranty was transferable to Canada, with no questions asked by the Chev dealer I went to. The inspection charge in NB is $50.00.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread