Power User
Jan 11, 2009
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province
SK
I ran into an old prof of mine who was mentioning that guy in the States have ditched their old big block motors in favor of putting a duramax in their car.

Benefits:
30+ mpg on the highway
If chipped, easily over 800ft-lb of torque
fuel is cheaper.
You can still add nos, propane, more boost (if built correctly).

Downside:
Not as good sounding as a tuned gas V-8.
Blowing black smoke.
Heavy engine?
-How much does a Duramax weigh compared to a vintage big block?

What do you guys think?

Yes, it would be him. As much as he likes talking about Corvettes, I'm surprised he has never come on here.

I don't think I would ever put a diesel in a Corvette unless it was very light and very powerful as I would always want my Corvette to handle. I was more thinking of the point and shoot muscle cars with this modification.

To me.. Not many people have done it primarily due to the fact that the cars get almost 30mpg highway anyhow, we want to go fast (not pull a 5th) wheel and actually... For quite some time not too long ago, diesel actually cost more than gas!!

I think as a gimmick.. Sure whatever but you can also make 800 ft-lbs of torque with a supercharged car on gas if that's what tickles you. There are only so many "jay leno" types with more jelly beans than jars in this world.
[mob][/mob]

True enough, but I guess my thought is, how streetable is an old car with a s/c big block that makes 800 ft-lbs of torque? And would you be able to take it on a long trip without killing your budget on fuel?

My jar still makes that tink noise whenever I put jelly beans in it.

454- For one with an iron intake and heads, approximately 650 lbs. An aluminum intake will reduce that by about 20 lbs, and aluminum heads by about 70 lbs. The Duramax 6600 weighs 836 lbs,almost 200 more^. If they are running right they don't really smoke too much. When I worked with GM I was installing at least two sets of injectors weekly.If I remember correctly the fuel filters are about 100 each and need to be changed every second oil change and the oil capacity is 8? or 10? ltrs. They may have fixed the injector issue by now. Other than that they run really quiet and smooth for a diesel. And don't forget about the option of filling up at your local McDonald's with used French fry oil! LOL

Last edited:
^^I just found out how expensive those lousy injectors are to have replaced! I love my duramax,but i think putting one in a car would make it way to front heavy.I wouldlove to have one in a 4x4 S-10 though.

^^I just found out how expensive those lousy injectors are to have replaced! I love my duramax,but i think putting one in a car would make it way to front heavy.I wouldlove to have one in a 4x4 S-10 though.
If my memory serves me correctly,$600 a piece rings a bell.

You read my mind. I've been toying with that idea as well...or putting a 5.9 cummins in my S-15. I imagine I would have to locate the rad in the box, but I would be fine with that! (I toy around with a lot of ideas, not to mention a live front axle, air bag suspension, blah, blah, blahhhhh)

Wow, 836lb?...more than I expected... The Chevelle is already 1000kg on the nose and 700 on the rear with my fat butt in the seat...Maybe the diesel conversion would be better for an Impala or other full size 60's car?

Make it burn bio-diesel and get a grant from the sask government or something??? In 2007, McDonalds of UK announced that it would start producing biodiesel from the wasteoil byproduct of its restaurants. This fuel would be used to run its fleet.Starting in 2004, the city of Halifax decided to update its bus system to allow the fleet of city buses to run entirely on a fish-oil based biodiesel. This caused the city some initial mechanical issues but after several years of refining, the entire fleet had successfully been converted
They all burn it,just needs to be refined and typically mixed usually at a ratio of 20% bio to 80% pump fuel,and to run pure just need to change your filter twice as much and swap any exposed seals or rubber lines to fkm,basically a synthetic type of rubber.I have used it in my truck!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread