I had to fix a block heater issue on the GF's Mazda CX-3 about 2 weeks ago, needed the element replaced and the part is in the stupidest place that they could put it in to the block (basically underneath the exhaust manifold with barely any room to put a ratchet on the socket when you want to unscrew it). I got the job done however getting a shallow socket along with a stubby ratchet but it was still a bear to do (stubby handle on the ratchet didn't give enough leverage to loosen and tighten the element along with the space issue).

I looked around to see what I could've used to make the job easier to do and I'm sure tools will always come in handy down the road on other jobs, so I found these at HF:

These ratchets if I had them would've made the job simpler with enough leverage to get the part installed. If you have these tools how do you rate them??

I don't have those, but I do have a ratchet with that flexible head that has come in handy at times.
I also have ratcheting box wrenches that I bought on sale at C.T. that have also been handy
As far as stupid goes, I had a frost plug go on my 71 duster that was between the tranny and the engine.
Pull the tranny to get at it!!

There is nothing like doing your own work to find some crazy things like:
Pontiac Sunfire water pump replace... remove exhaust manifold
Pontiac sunfire replace front turn signal light... go to dealer
C4 Corvette serpentine belt, use a 1/2 ratchet to move belt idler, then let idler swing down and watch it jam the ratchet between pulley and frame
GM V6, remove front motor mount to rotate engine forward to change spark plugs.
GM remove cross brace to get at battery
And there is probably a million more out there.

There is nothing like doing your own work to find some crazy things like:
Pontiac Sunfire water pump replace... remove exhaust manifold
Pontiac sunfire replace front turn signal light... go to dealer
C4 Corvette serpentine belt, use a 1/2 ratchet to move belt idler, then let idler swing down and watch it jam the ratchet between pulley and frame
GM V6, remove front motor mount to rotate engine forward to change spark plugs.
GM remove cross brace to get at battery
And there is probably a million more out there.
Good list! lol
On my 4th gen Camaros spark plugs 5 & 7 (If I got the passenger side numbering correct) could only be replaced from below the car. To replace the light bulbs the whole light assembly had to be removed, which was awkward at best and required extensive yoga training. lol

Passenger side cyl. numbering is even #'s on 4th gen F body LT1 LS1 engines. Passenger side back 2 cyls. would be 6 and 8. Oh the good old days........when I had a 96 Formula bought new and a few years after got a set of SLP's dual cat shorty headers that was a fun install but not as bad as I thought. Getting new spark plug wires routed properly was more of a pain. I remember pass. back 2 plugs went in and came out easy if I just used a box end 5/8" wrench instead of a proper spark plug socket to do it and yes had to be done underneath.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Passenger side cyl. numbering is even #'s on 4th gen F body LT1 LS1 engines. Passenger side back 2 cyls. would be 6 and 8. Oh the good old days........when I had a 96 Formula bought new and a few years after got a set of SLP's dual cat shorty headers that was a fun install but not as bad as I thought. Getting new spark plug wires routed properly was more of a pain. I remember pass. back 2 plugs went in and came out easy if I just used a box end 5/8" wrench instead of a proper spark plug socket to do it and yes had to be done underneath.
As I was posting I thought I likely had it wrong! LOL. What's in a number anyway. ;)

Speaking of spark plugs, on a C4 its a half and half job. Half an hour to do the left side, half a day to do the right, because all the AC and coolant plumbing is on that side.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread