xlr8r

Power User
Apr 23, 2012
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
:DMy car won't start!

I replaced the battery, as it was getting old anyways. When I go to hit the ignition switch, the car won't turnover--it just clicks loudly--coming from somwhere near the baatery area. :swear:

I imagine the starter is on the bottom--on the battery side.

I have plenty of power, so I know it's not the alterntor.

I also know the solenoid is internal to the starter, so if one of these goes on me, I have to replace the whole part.

I've now ordered a USA industries starter--anyone ever try these parts? The price was right at rockauto.com.......:D

Has anyone got any advice for me on this? When the starter comes in, can I push-start the Vette to get to the mechanic's? I don't want to tow it unless I have to.

Thanks for anyone's help on either my mechanical issue, or whether you can push-start these cars.

did you try boost it? clicking sounds like a battery issue. but then again could be a starter.

It takes tons of juice to start a vette. My battery went dead in Las Vegas ( kept it there for a winter ) and the 4 cyl rental car would not boost it till I revved up the engine for a while.

process of elimination.
Did the car start with the old battery?
What battery did you buy and was it specifically for a Corvette?
If it was an optima the posts are reversed or maybe even on the one you bought.
Sounds like the solenoid is being driven out instead of in and not engaging into the flywheel.
Was there any excessive sparks when you connected the battery?
With the car in sixth gear rock it back and forth to see if the starters locked in the flywheel and make sure it's not.
Not sure if you could ever push start one of these cars because the start sequence is set up to always engage the starter when you hit the button, you won't get ignition to fire the engine.
A small list to start on.

And while it is a new battery and in a weather protected area you mnay want to check that the cable clamps are clean - I mean I'm sure you did that anyway but on farm equipment which often have clamps/posts exposed to weather water can easily get inbetween the posts/clamps and bingo lead oxide city. The farm equipment batter posts/clamps get a coating of grease as a result and there are spray-on post/clamp sealants you can use too............

Good luck and can't wait to learn what the problem was!

Cheers,

Garry

To answer your question they can be pushed start. My son forgot to put my car in reverse 2005 C6. Told him to push the car and it didn't take much and started right up.

Not yet.

I have a starter on the way from Rock Auto. I sure hope she might fire up for me one more time when it arrives to take it to the shop. I'm getting worried about arranging the tow-truck, ands wasting all these great summer driving days......

Looks like the push start question is being answered with mixed results. MANNY, WHAT SAY YOU!!!

OK OK!!

Car is started, and it looked like the starter was indeed the culprit. I got a USA industries starter for cheap at Roack Auto. Almost 250 bucks cheaper than anything anywhere else. And it's brand new--not reconditioned.

I hope it lasts, but my first few starts went by super-smooth!

Now I gotta go and keep up on some much deserved windshield time.

I hate that I had to have the battery taken out again, as my fedault settings need to be changed again--it's an annoying process to say the least.

CHEERS!!

OK OK!!

Car is started, and it looked like the starter was indeed the culprit. I got a USA industries starter for cheap at Roack Auto. Almost 250 bucks cheaper than anything anywhere else. And it's brand new--not reconditioned.

I hope it lasts, but my first few starts went by super-smooth!

Now I gotta go and keep up on some much deserved windshield time.

I hate that I had to have the battery taken out again, as my fedault settings need to be changed again--it's an annoying process to say the least.

CHEERS!!

So did the starter malfunction and lock the ring gear or was the starter shorted and dead?

Glad you got it 'fingered' out.

Cheers
Colin.

These starters are built with 2 main parts. The solenoid who push the bendix to the flywheel/ring gear and create the contact from the positive battery cable to the electric motor of the starter (second part), this contact is made by 2 copper round parts about the size of a quarter, each time the contacts get together it provide power to the electric motor and create a spark (over 200 amps power draw each time) that built carbon on them, that carbon is not conductive to power. That is why some time you ear the clic of the selenoid but the power can not get true. The good old trick of hitting the starter while someone is trying to start sometime work as it may break some of that carbon built up and let the power go true again. BTW if you have to try this hitting trick, dont hit the big roud part (electric motor) as you may crack the permanent magnet in it, hit the nose (aluminium part).
Stephane

Interesting too is how much a new starter costs against the cost of the two contacts. I found that out when the started failed on our non corvette daily driver. Took the starter out and took it apart and put new contacts in for around $10.00.
Al...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.