Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2023
VetteCoins
Car
2024 Stingray HTCZ51
Province
ON
After waiting for 2 weeks for the final insurance paperwork to arrive in the snail mail, after they added an extra $65 to the premium, because they used a 2023 Stingray to underwrite me and I have a 2024, I actually browsed the policy fine print. There's a "no coverage for racing/tracking/driving school mishaps" caveat in the policy, clearly stated.
Just wondering if this is normal, and what does one do to gain temporary coverage, assuming it's available, for a price, for this kind of "spirited driving"?

• Sorry
Reactions: Vettenut
You don't really want your "normal" insurance company to know you are driving your car on a track, whether you are racing it or learning the drive on a race track, driver education etc etc. There is track insurance in the US (not sure about that in Canada) but you are paying through the nose to have that coverage.

Just suck it up and don't do stupid things when you are on a track and you shouldn't have any problems. Get an idea of who's on the track with you and their track experience. I would also pull your plates off and cover your VIN should anyone be there to video your antics on the racetrack.

After waiting for 2 weeks for the final insurance paperwork to arrive in the snail mail, after they added an extra $65 to the premium, because they used a 2023 Stingray to underwrite me and I have a 2024, I actually browsed the policy fine print. There's a "no coverage for racing/tracking/driving school mishaps" caveat in the policy, clearly stated.
Just wondering if this is normal, and what does one do to gain temporary coverage, assuming it's available, for a price, for this kind of "spirited driving"?
Racing/tracking/driving school mishaps insurance?
Good luck with finding that as part of a 'general' policy.
That said, the Ron Fellows school offers a policy (actually insists) while in their program.
Perhaps there are others.

Hmmm, perhaps I worded the question in a confusing manner?
I wanted to know if any of your policies has/have a specific section/clause/paragraph that says they "won't cover you if you do stupid things, like race it, or track it, or drive it off a cliff". My policy has such a section/clause in black ink.

Guess it was the word "Corvette" that tipped them off, eh fellas?
I suspect Cobra/Shelby/Challenger/Charger/Hellcat or Turbo/Supercharged, might have the same effect?
I didn't want suggestions on how to drive it carefully, on track, or elsewhere.

If RF offers/insists you have some sort of coverage at the school, and offers it, it does exist. Albeit, in his lttle niche market only, and I expect it does cost an arm and a leg, if you want coverage in case you lose an arm or a leg.

Though probably not in the real world of everyday, mundane, supercar insurance coverage, based on your responses, so far. As expected.

As for the stealth option, "clandestine tracking/racing" plate and VIN obfuscation suggestions, I can openly tell my insurer I'm going to track or race it, and I don't have to be secretive about it at all, as they've already stated they won't cover me if I crash it doing stupid things, like tracking it.

LOL CAA is pretty loud and proud on this topic

They actually dedicate a whole page to the fact that they wont pay for track damage

What the hell is " Gymkhana ":WillyNilly:

Attachments

• img20231209_22362614.jpg
    img20231209_22362614.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Clever
Reactions: MKC8

They actually dedicate a whole page to the fact that they wont pay for track damage

What is the meaning of gymkhana?

gymkhana • \jim-KAH-nuh\ • noun. a : a meet featuring sports contests or athletic skills: as b : competitive games on horseback c : a festival featuring gymnastics and athletic showmanship and often including pageantry d : a timed contest for automobiles featuring a series of events designed to test driving skill.

When I was running our club we had insurance through CASC. Same company that insures F1 as I recall. Damned if I can remember the name. Anyway, that's because no standard insurer will insure liability for racing.
I'm going back a LLooonnngggg time to when I was doing Solo 1 and 2 events in my previous vehicles in the late 80's and mid 90's + some online forum club track lapping days in the 2000's. CASC insurance is not covering any participant's cars if they smoke them while out on the track. Their insurance is covering the event and participants for personal injuries if they are injured while out on the track. The limits of what they cover AFA your personal injuries depends on what coverages the track policy covers. I found this online:

Like I said earlier there is specific track insurance you can buy if you are tracking your car and worry about it getting damaged while out on the track so if you feel inclined to cover your car with this insurance you can most certainly go ahead and get this insurance (again I know certain US tracks offer this not sure again about here in Ontario or Canada for that matter).

You always sign a track waiver when deciding to do an event, do we ever read what exactly we are signing? Typical track waiver:

News now travels fast, as you know people don't have phones now they have cameras and access to internet from pretty well anywhere, any incident on track is pretty well immediately caught on film and uploaded to social media so chances of hiding your screw up on track is 0. The old days of f-ing up your car on track and towing it out onto a main road somewhere, dumping it and claiming you had a single vehicle accident etc etc are over (I mention this as back in the old days I heard of just such an incident happening @ Shannonville involving a VW Golf). Should police and your insurance company want to really investigate accident damage the black box in cars now will reveal all..............speed, GPS location, what you were doing with all the controls at the time of impact...............whatever no where to hide is what I am saying.

Basically yes have fun with your car just be safe about it and don't be an idiot.

..............I can openly tell my insurer I'm going to track or race it, and I don't have to be secretive about it at all, as they've already stated they won't cover me if I crash it doing stupid things, like tracking it.
And that could be your 1 way ticket to having your policy cancelled and denied coverage on any future insurance applications from said insurance company or placed in that group of high risk people getting insurance and paying a ton load just to have coverage.

Please go ahead and do just that and let us all know how that goes for you (curious minds want to know).

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
Think I mentioned this before.
Noticed another clause on my policy that I can not be out of the province for more than 40 days within the year. Probably for the snowbirds going south for the winter.
That is with Intact. Don't know if applies only to QC but I doubt it.
Probably a moot point but no way that I will install their mobile app on my phone. They could trace where I was anyway in some way or other,

Reactions: MKC8 and Murray20c8
And that could be your 1 way ticket to having your policy cancelled and denied coverage on any future insurance applications from said insurance company or placed in that group of high risk people getting insurance and paying a ton load just to have coverage.

Please go ahead and do just that and let us all know how that goes for you (curious minds want to know).
I was being semi-facetious. Another confusing post for some, apparently?
But honestly, why would they care, as they've already told me in writing that they won't cover me if I did any of that stuff?
Does your policy document specifically state "no coverage for racing, tracking, driving school activity"?
That was one of the original questions, and you still haven't answered it.
All you've done is derided me for asking.

Think I mentioned this before.
Noticed another clause on my policy that I can not be out of the province for more than 40 days within the year. Probably for the snowbirds going south for the winter.
That is with Intact. Don't know if applies only to QC but I doubt it.
Probably a moot point but no way that I will install their mobile app on my phone. They could trace where I was anyway in some way or other,
Yeah, that's interesting. Nothing in my policy, specific or inferred, about limits on time out of province (Ontario).
My Emergency Travel Medical coverage policy does, as do most. Not with the same insurer.
Also agree about their "phone apps for safe driving". Big brother tracking?
Not gonna happen. OnStar is bad enough.

I was being semi-facetious. Another confusing post for some, apparently?
But honestly, why would they care, as they've already told me in writing that they won't cover me if I did any of that stuff?
Does your policy document specifically state "no coverage for racing, tracking, driving school activity"?
That was one of the original questions, and you still haven't answered it.
All you've done is derided me for asking.
Post #5 answered your question, eyes need testing?

You stated what u stated and I answered it. Now u need to make good on telling your company that u will track your car and let us know what happens to your insurance coverage, I'll wait patiently.

Reactions: rhc7gc6
No need. They don't care because they won't cover me anyway.
My policy states... (sorry, copied unformatted from a PDF copy of the policy)

"CAA COMP/RACECompetitive or Race Track Use ExclusionSee your Certificate of Automobile Insurance for which automobile(s) this change applies to.1. Purpose of this Change – This change is part of your policy. It adds the following exclusion under Section 7.2.7.2.4 Competitive or Race Track UseWe won’t pay for loss or damage to the described automobile caused in an incident:• If you operate the described automobile on a racetrack or test track;• If you operate the described automobile while participating in, receiving driving instruction with respect to, orpracticing or preparing for any:– Rally,– Gymkhana,– Contest,– Competition, or– Timed event;• If another person, with your permission, operates the described automobile under any of these conditions."

I've shown you mine, now show me yours....
(try to keep the snark down, Tony)
Either way, I won't be tracking it.

• Agree

Just saw this. That's the page I've been talking about. In my policy, too.
Sorry, I stepped away from this thread when it started getting personal.
Gymkhana? I have no idea. :oops: Sounds like it might be more appropriate on a "rice burner" policy.

I'm with CAA also so mine says exactly what your's say even on my dailys it shows that section also. Doesn't mean you can't track your car if you want they don't need to know but if you whack your ride on track you are on your own. I plan to leave them when my policy is over as there were several things I don't like about their policy that I discovered only after signing with them last year.

You made it look like it was odd when you posted about having that section on your policy and makes me think you expected to have coverage if you did track your car and incurred damage while on track. No normal insurance company covering a "street car" covers you in case of loss while you operate your car on a track whether they have the big section in the policy describing it or not, never had never will.

Was never confused about what you were posting about so you can stop implying I was confused and about getting "personal" and leave it, my replies were never personal you just took it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread