Jul 14, 2022
VetteCoins
Car
2024 C8
Province
ON
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Took the car yesterday to Guelph Detailing Company for PPF and ceramic, first issue was before I left I tried to get into the frunk but it wouldn’t open I had to manually pop it and then it started working. Second issue happened 2 times on the way there and twice on a previous outing, both times I was driving the car in sport mode and when I gave it some gas it would drop to third gear and just stay there, the RPM’s would start creeping up into the red and still it wouldn’t shift to fourth, even letting off the gas did nothing just stayed in third at high RPM. I switched over to touring mode and that’s when it shifted to fourth. This is my first Vette so I’m not sure if this is normal, car only has 200km on it and I don’t want to damage anything.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Took the car yesterday to Guelph Detailing Company for PPF and ceramic, first issue was before I left I tried to get into the frunk but it wouldn’t open I had to manually pop it and then it started working. Second issue happened 2 times on the way there and twice on a previous outing, both times I was driving the car in sport mode and when I gave it some gas it would drop to third gear and just stay there, the RPM’s would start creeping up into the red and still it wouldn’t shift to fourth, even letting off the gas did nothing just stayed in third at high RPM. I switched over to touring mode and that’s when it shifted to fourth. This is my first Vette so I’m not sure if this is normal, car only has 200km on it and I don’t want to damage anything.
Are you in auto? Did you hit the paddle by mistake? (That will put it into manual mode temporarily).

• Agree
Reactions: MKC8
It's not normal. Put your car in manual mode and take it for a drive running through the gears between at least 1-7. Then once everything is at normal operating temperature put the car in D and do the same and see if it will make the 3-4 shift in Sport mode or Z mode which will give you more aggressive shifting. Then the same thing in tour mode again.
See if that solves it, if not tell us if your getting any warning lights and have your dealer see if any codes are showing up.

• Useful
Reactions: 1st Vette
what does the lower case d mean? I don’t remember seeing it.
If you are in auto and hit a paddle it puts the car in "d" mode (shows in the tack) which is a temporary manual mode. It will not up shift in that mode without the paddle being pulled. I just want to make sure you didn't inadvertently put it in that mode. Normal auto mode shows a capital D in the tach.
If it consistently does what you describe then as Mr.Corvette says, it is not normal at all.

• Informative
Hmmmm, not so sure about not shifting by itself when in M mode. I took mine out yesterday to try the AFM V4/V8 thing and mine does downshift (at a stop for example, when I forgot to downshift) and up shift (it self protects from over revving, and can be overridden by some specific factors) in M mode. It's the "idiot proofing" GM has built into the 2024 C8. It pretty much won't let you do any harm, if you're not experienced with paddle shifters and tachometers.
As per page 186, 2024 OM
Screenshot_4-5-2024_142130_.jpeg

BTW, M mode does defeat the V4 AFM thing, on the freeway on cruise control, flat road, no wind, where I would normally see it toggle between V4/V8. as others have suggested. Unless GM set the dash icon to lie about it. ;)
OP: Why not leave the car in auto everything mode until you hit 1500 miles or 2450 kms, so as to let it "learn" your driving habits during the break-in period, as described on page 176 of the 2024 OM. I know it's hard not to want to kick it around a bit, it's that kind of car, but you haven't cleared the 500 mile "no nonsense, no tom foolery" while driving it, break-in plateau.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, not so sure about not shifting by itself when in M mode. I took mine out yesterday to try the AFM V4/V8 thing and mine does downshift (at a stop for example, when I forgot to downshift) and up shift (it self protects from over revving, and can be overridden by some specific factors) in M mode. It's the "idiot proofing" GM has built into the 2024 C8. It pretty much won't let you do any harm, if you're not experienced with paddle shifters and tachometers.
As per page 186, 2024 OM
I said "It won't UPshift" in manual mode. It does downshift so it doesn't lug. That bugs me because I don't learn to downshift. lol
It has a rev limiter though as a reminder that you forgot to UPshift.

I said "It won't UPshift" in manual mode. It does downshift so it doesn't lug. That bugs me because I don't learn to downshift. lol
It has a rev limiter though as a reminder that you forgot to UPshift.
According to the quoted section in the *2024* OM, it will upshift under certain circumstances, like pressing the accelrator pedal to the floor. It wil do neither depending on speed when shifted manually. Maybe there have been some changes 2020 to 2024? Not trying to pick fights, just saying. Just trying to help.

According to the quoted section in the *2024* OM, it will upshift under certain circumstances, like pressing the accelrator pedal to the floor. It wil do neither depending on speed when shifted manually. Maybe there have been some changes 2020 to 2024? Not trying to pick fights, just saying. Just trying to help.
Good point. I never noticed that, but trust me that's gotta be the only exception. I've done pretty much everything in 3.5 years of ownership. I usually use the paddles in auto to use engine braking.

• Clever
Reactions: MKC8
As per page 186, 2024 OM
View attachment 123812
BTW, M mode does defeat the V4 AFM thing, on the freeway on cruise control, flat road, no wind, where I would normally see it toggle between V4/V8. as others have suggested. Unless GM set the dash icon to lie about it. ;)
OP: Why not leave the car in auto everything mode until you hit 1500 miles or 2450 kms, so as to let it "learn" your driving habits during the break-in period, as described on page 176 of the 2024 OM. I know it's hard not to want to kick it around a bit, it's that kind of car, but you haven't cleared the 500 mile "no nonsense, no tom foolery" while driving it, break-in plateau.
I’ve been pretty relaxed while driving it since I brought it out last week, trying not too go over 3000 rpm but yesterday for example I was going down the road doing 60km/h when a gravel quarry truck decides to pull out in front of me, I had no choice but to give it some gas and move to the fast lane. The car dropped to 3dr and sat there hovering over 4000 rpm, I didn’t want to give it more gas because who knows where the rpm’s would end up so I let off and still nothing that’s when I switched it from sport to touring and then it went into 4th. I stayed in touring for the rest of the drive and it was fine. Maybe something to do with break in?

I’ve been pretty relaxed while driving it since I brought it out last week, trying not too go over 3000 rpm but yesterday for example I was going down the road doing 60km/h when a gravel quarry truck decides to pull out in front of me, I had no choice but to give it some gas and move to the fast lane. The car dropped to 3dr and sat there hovering over 4000 rpm, I didn’t want to give it more gas because who knows where the rpm’s would end up so I let off and still nothing that’s when I switched it from sport to touring and then it went into 4th. I stayed in touring for the rest of the drive and it was fine. Maybe something to do with break in?
When you give it gas like that, watch if a green gear sign lights up. It’s performance shifting that kicks in as it feels « spirited » driving. It will keep higher rpms for a while and it will shut off automatically after a little bit.

First time I had the light come on I wasn’t sure either what it meant.

Reactions: Vettenut and MKC8
When you give it gas like that, watch if a green gear sign lights up. It’s performance shifting that kicks in as it feels « spirited » driving. It will keep higher rpms for a while and it will shut off automatically after a little bit.

First time I had the light come on I wasn’t sure either what it meant.
Thinking about your comment, I have experienced that momentary high rev/current gear "hold", after giving it some brief WOT. I think in any Driving Mode, but Tour, and Sport, for sure.
Just for the audio effect, when some kids on the sidewalk give me the smiles and the "burn rubber" hand signal. It revs, makes noise, and stays in the lower gear/higher revs for a few seconds after I ease off the accelerator. The kids are also impressed and grateful for the vicarious thrill.
Caveat: No wheels were spun in the performance of this childish act.

Reactions: Vettenut and KTJF
Thinking about your comment, I have experienced that momentary high rev/current gear "hold", after giving it some brief WOT. I think in any Driving Mode, but Tour, and Sport, for sure.
Just for the audio effect, when some kids on the sidewalk give me the smiles and the "burn rubber" hand signal. It revs, makes noise, and stays in the lower gear/higher revs for a few seconds after I ease off the accelerator. The kids are also impressed and grateful for the vicarious thrill.
Caveat: No wheels were spun in the performance of this childish act.
You can also pull in both paddles and rev the engine to make some noise.

Reactions: Vettenut
My understanding of the transmission and engine systems are that they are in a "learning mode" during the first 1500 miles/2450 kilometers. I assume the GM engineering team have set some general parameters to help protect the car from abuse in it's early days, but it's still possible to do some harm. You'll see your tach's red lines change when you hit 500 miles (sorry, I'm too old for metric), and it's sort of a "OK, you can start exploring what this car can do" thing, but don't go really crazy until 1500 miles. If you have the 2024 OM downloaded, search "break-in" to find out the recommended things to avoid during the early days. Hard acceleration, braking, and cornering, being 3 of the main ones. This also lets the physical parts get used to each other, before the "spiritied driving" can formally begin. Then all Hell breaks loose. Believe me, it's well worth the wait.

You can also pull in both paddles and rev the engine to make some noise.
I'm always afraid of clutch damage when it's disengaged/re-engaging in motion, like when you shift your beater into Neutral and back into Drive while rolling. Sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it clunks.
I prefer to maintain continuous contact between the transmission and engine components, if at all possible, at all times. Personal preference.

I'm always afraid of clutch damage when it's disengaged/re-engaging in motion, like when you shift your beater into Neutral and back into Drive while rolling. Sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it clunks.
I prefer to maintain continuous contact between the transmission and engine components, if at all possible, at all times. Personal preference.
I hear you but my feeling is if you let rpm drop back down before releasing the paddles it should be fine. Like you say to each their own. Now obviously I won’t know for another 10 days but wouldn’t the rev matching function kick in similar to holding in the left paddle while slowing quickly ?

Reactions: Vettenut